The Official Gundam The Origin Mecha Thread Mk I

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
BrentD15

Re: The Official Gundam The Origin Mecha Thread Mk I

It was probably an early Salamis model, or the animators don't know how to draw the Salamis-class.
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25
Deathzealot

Hmmm... It does seem to have some similarities to the 0083 Salamis as well in shape I mean. And are those AA Guns up front both on top and on bottom. I don't remember that at all on a Salamis Design.
toysdream

I think we can rule out "the animators didn't know how to draw it"! But for whatever reason, aside from the "long butt," it doesn't look all that much like the Salamis in the comics to me.

-- Mark
gunform1010

Did anyone translate that RTX-65 Guntank info?
"Gunpla is freedom!" -Meijin Kawaguchi III

Love Live/Gundam Build Fighters semi-crossover/spin-off in works
Wingnut

Sheesh. When did Sally get so much junk in her trunk?
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
gunform1010

Wingnut wrote:Sheesh. When did Sally get so much junk in her trunk?
She got depressed over being blown up a lot, and ate to try to solve her problems. When she was getting sick of that, she traveled back into the past.

toysdream

gunform1010 wrote:Did anyone translate that RTX-65 Guntank info?
Here you go:
A large fighting vehicle formally adopted by the Earth Federation Forces in U.C. 0065. It has top-class projectile bombardment capabilities for a tank of its time, and is equipped with two large-caliber cannons. It also has quadruple machine guns installed in its manipulators, which are capable of flexible attacks and can handle both anti-ground and anti-air combat. This machine was born from ideas far beyond the concepts of previous tanks, and thanks to the innovation of a large tank with a huge humanoid upper body, it has manifested an overwhelming presence ever since it was first deployed in the colonies. It is used to maintain public order.
-- Mark
gunform1010

A super flexible tank- so Zeon's engineers likely combined the concept of this mobile tank with those of the mini worker pods and thus the mobile suit was born.

toysdream

The "flexible" part specifically applies to the arm-mounted machine guns, which can fire at air or ground targets. Otherwise, those big guns seem a bit poorly suited to combat inside colonies, and based on this description it actually sounds like the main purpose of the RTX-65 is intimidation. :-)

-- Mark
gunform1010

toysdream wrote:The "flexible" part specifically applies to the arm-mounted machine guns, which can fire at air or ground targets. Otherwise, those big guns seem a bit poorly suited to combat inside colonies, and based on this description it actually sounds like the main purpose of the RTX-65 is intimidation. :-)

-- Mark
Riot control?

toysdream

No, I literally meant intimidation. Just sitting there looking scary, to keep the colonists subdued. I don't think it would make much sense to use ultra-heavy mega-tanks for riot control! That's what cops are for.

-- Mark
gunform1010

toysdream wrote:No, I literally meant intimidation. Just sitting there looking scary, to keep the colonists subdued. I don't think it would make much sense to use ultra-heavy mega-tanks for riot control! That's what cops are for.

-- Mark
Of course then.

This may have been discussed, but is the inclusion of the GT iffy with later continuity?

toysdream

I guess it doesn't quite mesh with the development history of the Guntank as per the MSV series, which describes the Guntank as basically a Core Fighter testbed based on the RTX-44. Perhaps you could say the RTX-65 takes the place of the RTX-44, but in the context of The Origin it doesn't really matter; this obsolete super-tank is the same machine later loaded aboard the White Base, and they never upgrade it with a Core Fighter, so the Guntank as we know it doesn't actually exist in The Origin's continuity.

There are really a lot of major differences between the previous anime and The Origin. It remains to be seen whether they'll try to smooth these out in the animated Origin.

-- Mark
ZGMF-X28A Nu-Liberty

Does anyone have a handle on translations for the texts concerning Char's Zaku, the new Salamis and the armored bus?
"That's the problem with plutonium, Craven; it's limited in its application. It's not user-friendly. But as a vehicle for regaining one's self-respect; oh, it's got a lot going for it!"
- Darius Jedburgh, Edge of Darkness, Episode 6, Fusion
Gelgoog Jager

BrentD15 wrote:It was probably an early Salamis model, or the animators don't know how to draw the Salamis-class.
Wasn't there supposed to be an early version of the Salamis that didn't incorporate technology derived from Minovsky physics? Namely I seem to recall that they didn't include a thermonuclear engine nor MPC, instead relying on chemical rockets and ballistic cannons.

In a somewhat unrelated note, since the PS2 game of Federation Vs Zeon was my first glimpse of the UC technology, I was convinced due to it that there were Magellan and Salamis ships that weren't equipped with MPC turrets. I had thought that perhaps the EF was lagging behind technologically in other areas besides MS.
BrentD15

Gelgoog Jager wrote:In a somewhat unrelated note, since the PS2 game of Federation Vs Zeon was my first glimpse of the UC technology...
You too? :D
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25
Gelgoog Jager

BrentD15 wrote:
Gelgoog Jager wrote:In a somewhat unrelated note, since the PS2 game of Federation Vs Zeon was my first glimpse of the UC technology...
You too? :D
Yeah! I remember that a few years after getting it, I still played frequently to the disbelief of my brother who couldn't believe I could enjoy playing the same game for so long :D

Back to Origin, I wonder if they will try to include some of the pre-OYW additions from recent years, even if just cameos, such as the EMS-04 Zudah, Gobble space fighter-bomber, Gagaul class destroyer, as well as the infamous G87 Luna Tank.

More background information on the MS-05Q, MS-06A, MS-06C and MS-06FS would also be very welcomed.
Kratos

None of those are in the manga. In fact, there are almost no "variant" mobile suits or MS outside of what was already in the original series - just the two or three distinct proto-Zakus and the RX-78-1. Even the Guntank, which in the OVA is a prototype of the one seen in MSG, is the same one used by the White Base crew. The only MS-06 variant is the S-type.

I suppose anything is possible in the anime though, and if Unicorn taught us anything, it's that Banrise loves throwing in cameos. While I actually kind of hope that THE ORIGIN isn't turned into an MSV parade as it's one thing that I think Yas was wise to avoid when writing the manga, the temptation to do so must be high, especially considering that this part of the story is comparatively light on MS action as it is.
Last edited by Kratos on Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The beast of opportunity finds its master and soars through a shaken cosmos"
toysdream

You do get a bunch of new GM variations in the Origin comic, though, as well as a Zeon prototype bomber that's basically the atmospheric equivalent of the Zakrello. :-)

-- Mark
Kratos

Ah right, the GM variant! I forgot how unfamiliar the later ORIGIN volumes are to me, my bad ><

And now that I'm thinking about it, the RX-78-02 itself goes through a fairly visible upgrade for space use as well. If the Rick Dom is considered a different MS from the base Dom, I'd say this version of the Gundam qualifies too. But at any rate, yeah, there are no MSVs that aren't either in MSG already or that aren't original to THE ORIGIN.
"The beast of opportunity finds its master and soars through a shaken cosmos"