MS Catalog

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
toysdream

Re: MS Catalog

I've seen a few claims about Mach speeds - I think the chart you mention may have been from one of those Keibunsha kiddie books. If memory serves, the Messala was clocked at Mach 80, which must be its space speed. This Mach 1.5 stat, on the other hand, is for atmospheric flight.

As for the Full Armor ZZ, the thing that occurs to me is that the left arm missile pod seems to have an identical-looking hatch at each end. I can actually believe that the left arm unit contains two missile pods.

-- Mark
balofo

The rear hatch on the FAZZ's left arm has exhaust vents/thruster vents? just like the spray missile pod lower end, looking at the color lineart in Catalog 2015/MG I see this.

I saw lineart with the notes intact for the Bawoo's saber and no mention of the beam gun function.
toysdream

Huh, I guess you're right about that other end of the missile pod. Well, back to square one.

I might research the Bawoo saber thing a bit, though...

-- Mark
AmuroNT1

This little image from GundamGuy gives us some information on Lady Kawaguchi's Red Warrior Amazing: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Ml71VLPby7c/V ... led-20.jpg

There are also a lot of cute little hidden bits with this thing; though they'll be obvious to someone like Mark whose Japanese is better than mine, I'll still mention them for the sake of those who don't know the language and because they amuse me.

Just to start off with, this model pulls a trick you often see in JoJo's Bizarre Adventure and Fate/Stay Night, where something is given two names: in addition to a normal Kanji name, there's a second written as Furigana (a pronunciation guide), but using Katakana (the writing method for foreign words) which gives us the name we'll be using. It's common to see hidden meanings slipped in this way, usually by having the Kanji not line up 100% with what the English name is supposed to be.

In this specific example, the name is written as 紅武者アメイジング ("Kurenai Musha Amazing"), but the Furigana here are レッドウォーリアー, "Red Warrior", a fairly straight translation of "Kurenai Musha". Nothing surprising here yet, but worth notice since it seems to have tripped up a few translators along the way.

Model Number: SD-9071A
*Just like the Winning Gundam, they used Goroawase to slip a hidden word into the model number. In this case, 9071 is "Kurenai", as mentioned above another word for red.

Weapons:
Kunai x2 (head)

Famed Sword "Beniaoi" (rear skirt)
*"Famed Sword" in Japanese is "Meitou", a play on "Meijin" (Famous Person). Beniaoi means "red hollyhock", and there may be some sort of cultural significance attached to this, but I couldn't find it with a quick Google search.

hyper bazooka (right shoulder)
*The alternate pronunciation trick is used here; In this case, "Bazooka" is an alternate reading for 大筒 (Oozutsu), which means "cannon".

Gatling gun mode (replaces bazooka)
*The description of the swappable gun gimmick describes the Gatling as a 西洋新式連発銃 (Western New-Style Repeating Gun), the latter part being the Japanese term for repeating rifles like the Civil War-era Henry and Spencer, or the Murata used during the First Sino-Japanese War.

wheel armor x2 (forearms)
*Another alternate reading, the Kanji here are 炎輪甲, literally meaning "fire wheel armor"

Musha cross cannon
*Made by combining the hyper bazooka, wheel armor, the extra helmet armor on the back of its head, and a connecting base.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
toysdream

Nice catch on the model number!

As for the Bawoo beam saber, the HG-UC kit manual notes that it's mounted in the same way as that of the Qubeley, and adds that it's unclear whether or not it also functions as a beam gun. That seems to be the only previous mention of the idea, though.

-- Mark
AmuroNT1

I suppose since unique SDs don't normally have model numbers, the staff decided to have a little fun with Winning and RW Amazing.
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

toysdream

Continuing on with the Sunrise list of UC anime mobile suits...

Gundam 0080: Listed weapons for the Alex include beam rifle, hyper bazooka, and shield, none of which are appear in the anime. Only weapons for the FA form are head vulcans and beam sabers.

Listed weapons for the GM Sniper II include beam rifle, shield, and sniper rifle (doesn't appear). Oddly they omit the bullpup machine gun which, unlike the beam rifle, does appear in the anime.

The Zaku II FZ has a "Zaku shield" (but no spike armor?) plus the smoke bombs and "Santa balloon" used in episode 6. Only weapon listed for the Gelgoog Jaeger is the large beam machine gun. The Kaempfer's chain mines are identified as a guest weapon that appears in episode 4.

Gundam 0083: The GP01 uses a bullpup machine gun in episode 2; the GP01Fb uses a prototype beam rifle in CD Cinema 1. The GP01Fb's beam jutte is listed as a guest weapon that appears in episode 9, even though it was always built into the rifle.

The GP03's armament is listed as "mega beam cannon x 1, large beam saber x 2, explosive cord x 2, micro-missile container x 2, large cluster missile set x 2, I-field generator x 1, beam rifle, folding bazooka x 2, hyper bazooka (in OP)". What, no folding shield?

The GP03S has "beam saber x 2, folding bazooka z 2, beam rifle, folding shield x 1, hyper bazooka (in OP)".

The Zaku II F2 has a Zaku shield (but no spike armor?). It uses triple missile pods and hand grenades in episode 4; the Dom Tropen uses a Zaku bazooka in episode 4. Both the Dom Tropen and the Rick Dom II have a diffuse beam cannon (rather than a "beam point").

The standard Gelgoog Marine carries a "knuckle shield".

Gundam F91: I can't see any differences from the MS Encyclopedia listings.

Victory Gundam: When we were going through this series, we discussed a lot of terminology and guest weapons. Here's how the Sunrise list puts things...

The standard rifle used by the Gun EZ, Gun Blaster, V Gundam, etc is listed as "beam rifle (handgun)". The V-Dash has a "beam smartgun" and "overhang cannon (backpack vulcan x 2)", the latter presumably reflecting the backward-facing gatlings. The GunEZ uses the overhang cannon in episode 25, and the Gun Blaster uses a spider net in episode 45.

Guest weapons for the V Gundam include a "beam shuriken" (a special beam saber combo used in episode 25), a "beam trident" (episode 21), and a "mega beam rifle" (episode 47). I believe that last weapon is actually the V-Dash's beam smartgun, which it also uses in the end credits.

The V-Hexa uses a mega beam shield in episode 42, and "waist beam gun x 2" in episode 47.

The V2 Gundam uses a beam bazooka in episode 30, and cast net mines in episode 47. The mega beam rifle and mega beam shield are included in its weapons list. Not mentioned here are the normally waist-mounted beam guns, which it holds in its hands in the end credits.

The Sunrise list claims that the V2 Buster uses the mega beam rifle and mega beam shield in episode 48, while the V2 Assault uses the six micro-missile pods in episode 49.

The Macedonia Heavygun has head vulcans, but the shield isn't mentioned here.

On the Zanscare side, most of the beam rotors are listed as "beam rotor (shield)". The Memedorza's weapons include "shoulder beam rotor shield (beam saucer) x 2".

The Shy-tarn's beam rifle has a "bayonet type beam saber".

The Rig Shokew uses a beam rotor in episode 36. The Imperial Guard type has "large shield (beam shield, beam gun x 2)".

The Zanneck's weapons include "shoulder particle accelerator x 2" but it doesn't mention these having beam cannons.

The Doggorla uses cloud type mines in episode 32, and electromagnetic nets in episode 33.

The Gottrlatan's weapons list includes a beam rifle and two beam sabers - I don't recall it having the latter.

The Sandhoge has a "wire beam gun" in addition to the stuff listed in the MS Encyclopedia.

-- Mark
balofo

Beam Trident is another name for the Beam Javelin.

Cool info, let us know what you're going to add so we can debate the inclusions

Also waiting for the Gundam in Games magazine info and the time to do W,G and Turn A
AmuroNT1

I guess maybe the GP03 Orchis doesn't have the folding shield listed because it can't use it in that form.

Still, I was wondering about all the extra weapons they added into the Master Grade V Gundam, and this answered it. All I knew was that the disposable bazooka appeared only in the ending animation.

Gelgoog Jager

Going back to ZZ for a moment, I ahve a few questions:

What is the given name of the Gallus J's beam weapon? I remember that someone mentioned that originally it was meant to be a beam magnum. And any mention about its beam sabers (how many it has or where are they stored)?

Also, what's the designation of the MS-09H and AMX-011S beam weapons? Any info about them?

Regarding the ballute system, is the Zssa included among the MS that can use it? They do seem to use ballutes (at least I assume that the units seen from afar deploying them are Zssas), but unlike the Bawoo or Qubeley, the ballute pack is not noticeable. Could it be integrated into their booster units?

As for guests weapons, the Bawoo beam rifle is used by some Dreissens on Earth, along with at least a Zssa at Axis. We also see a Zaku III with a beam saber from the Geymalk and a MS-06D using a Gelgoog's beam rifle.

Finally, any mention of what seems to be a brief cameo of a standard Gelgoog at Axis?
toysdream

Sadly, the ZZ listings just aren't that detailed - they don't mention ballute systems or guest weapons for most of the Neo Zeon mobile suits. As usual, the Galluss-J's weapon is described as an "energy gun"; no details on the beam sabers. The Zaku III Custom has a beam rifle, the Dwadge Custom has a beam cannon.

Let me finish this off with the 08th MS Team listings:

The Gundam Ground Type is listed with a "chest vulcan" rather than chest gatling as per the MS Encyclopedia. Its handheld weapons include the rocket launcher and missile launcher, and specifies "short shield".

The Ez8 has an "anti-infantry 12.7mm vulcan" and "35mm autocannon x 2", versus "12.7mm revolving machine gun" and "head vulcan x 2" in the MS Encyclopedia. Its shield is listed as "improved short shield".

The weapons list for the GM Ground Type includes the rocket launcher, beam rifle, and Gundam hammer. The GM Sniper has only two beam sabers and a long-range beam rifle, as per the anime.

The Ball Type K has "180mm cannon x 2" (not shown in anime), "fifteen caliber", and winch wire.

The Zaku II has spike armor and a Zaku shield, and the Gouf Custom has spike armor x 2, as per the First Gundam listings. The Gouf Custom's armament includes a "heat wire" and "heat saber", versus "heat rod" and "heat sword" in the MS Encyclopedia.

Whew! In the end, a lot of this comes down to minor differences in terminology between the MS Encyclopedia and the Sunrise list. I may consult the recent kit manuals as a tie-breaking third vote. But if nothing else, this has provided some useful clarification about the correct terms for various weapons and equipment. I'll probably try to refine this even further - for example, I notice that the HG-UC kit manual calls the Jagd Doga's shoulder shield a "funnel port shield", and the same term is used in the Gundam Unicorn "Mechanics & World" books. Even if nobody can agree on whether the weapons inside it are missiles or missile launchers, that's still an interesting data point. :-)

-- Mark
Wingnut

toysdream wrote:The Ball Type K has "180mm cannon x 2" (not shown in anime), "fifteen caliber", and winch wire.
So "fifteen caliber" is the official name for the weapon? I always figured that was an error in the script or something that got retconned shortly after release into becoming "180mm cannon x 2". Other Type Ks, most notably in IGLOO, have the same gun and IIRC, were only listed as "180mm cannon x 2".
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
toysdream

The Sunrise list has these as two separate weapons, only one of which (the "fifteen caliber") appears in the anime.

Now, "caliber" has two different meanings - if it's "caliber" in the sense of the barrel length divided by diameter, then 180mm x 15 calibers would be only 2.7 meters, which seems way short. And that's a very small number of caliber lengths, too. Real-world cannons are usually higher than 40 caliber lengths; the Tieren's standard smoothbore gun in Gundam 00 is 200mm x 25 calibers, i.e. a 5-meter barrel.

On the other hand, if it's "caliber" in the sense of bore diameter, that's usually expressed in inches. Needless to say, 15 inches is way too big for these guns!

I guess we could just ignore the "fifteen caliber" reference and assume that these guns are just 180mm in bore diameter, but that makes every other U.C. projectile weapon seem really puny. I think we've had threads about this before...

-- Mark
AmuroNT1

Maybe Mark can answer this question that's been bugging me for a while...in Gundam Breaker 2, the Gundam [G] and Ez8's shields can be used to perform a shield bash/punching attack. The in-game text refers to this as シールド・フェレール, but for the life of me I can't find a translation for that second word. I figured maybe it was French or (given Gundam's propensity for using the language) German, but no luck on those fronts.

AmuroNT1

(As a quick aside, I'd like to note that the English name for Lady's Gunpla is "Kurenai Musha" Red Warrior Amazing.)

Anyway, apologies for double-posting, but the Leopard da Vinci just came out so here's its info. What really amuses me is that the official description says that while it might SEEM to be named in honor of Leonardo (since he was a man of great curiosity and creativity), in reality it was just a bad pun (機体名は、「探究心と独創性の人」であるレオナルド・ダ・ヴィンチに敬意を表して名付けられたことになっているが、実際はダジャレである。). Damn Suga, your jokes are so bad, the universe itself is calling you out on it...

Model Number: GT-9600-DV
Height: 16.8 meters
Weight: 8.0 tons
Weapons:
-head vulcan x2, head cannons x2
The same weapons as on the original Leopard. The description of the head cannons notes that they're especially useful for targeting enemy sensors and ports in close combat.

-beam rifle x2
The da Vinci's main weapon. They can receive energy while mounted on the arm hardpoints. The lower barrel is a beam shotgun.

-hyper beam Gatling x2
Can be mounted on both sides, rather than just the left as on the original Leopard. They can swivel under the arms to be wielded normally, or over the shoulders to function as "cannons".

-beam cannon x2
A pair of two-barrel beam cannons that are usually mounted on the shoulders and can rotate around the hardpoint to attack in any direction.

-missile pod x2
Usually mounted on the shoulders or legs, both sides feature 5-tube launchers, so after firing the front missiles the pods can swivel around to use the back missiles.

Wingnut

All that x2 stuff when the version in the anime and the line art only has one of each (head guns aside of course), and no beam cannons at all. What's the story there?
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Strike Zero

AmuroNT1 wrote:Maybe Mark can answer this question that's been bugging me for a while...in Gundam Breaker 2, the Gundam [G] and Ez8's shields can be used to perform a shield bash/punching attack. The in-game text refers to this as シールド・フェレール, but for the life of me I can't find a translation for that second word. I figured maybe it was French or (given Gundam's propensity for using the language) German, but no luck on those fronts.
Going by Google, フェレール seems to be most common as the Japanese spelling of the French surname Ferrer. Ferrer, according to Wiktionary, is also a French verb which means either "to clad in iron," or "to be clad in iron."

Going further, ferrer is derived from the Latin ferrum, which can mean "any tool made of iron."

So, it would seem that "Sheild Ferrer" is supposed to mean along the lines of "Iron-Clad Shield."

Presumably, one is meant to shout this whilst in the midst of performing a shield bash attack against their intended target, thus adding a +10 Constitution and Strength modifier bonus to the Gundam's overall stats.
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
E08

AmuroNT1 wrote: -head vulcan x2, head cannons x2
The same weapons as on the original Leopard. The description of the head cannons notes that they're especially useful for targeting enemy sensors and ports in close combat.

-beam rifle x2
The da Vinci's main weapon. They can receive energy while mounted on the arm hardpoints. The lower barrel is a beam shotgun.
For the head cannons, rather than targeting the ports, it should be targeting the joints. As for the beam rifle, i think it only has one?
Wingnut wrote:All that x2 stuff when the version in the anime and the line art only has one of each (head guns aside of course), and no beam cannons at all. What's the story there?
I think the MS profile given by the HG kit noted that the Gundam Leopard da Vinci seen in ep 25 is a light equipment version (or something like that, the japanese term used is 軽装), and there exist a heavy weapon form (the japanese term used is 重武装の形態).
AmuroNT1

Well, I was going off of the model kit version, which comes with the parts for two beam rifles. I dunno if the da Vinci even shows up in the new MS Encyclopedia to give more of a concrete listing.

E08

Unless I'm mistaken, the kit only come with one beam rifle, which is made of two halves.