MS Catalog

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
AmuroNT1

Re: MS Catalog

To address some Crossbone questions from a while ago...
is it mantle or manteau?
At the very least, the MG Ver.Ka models use "mantle":
http://dalong.net/review/mg/m93/p/m93_mb0001.JPG
http://dalong.net/review/mg/m89x2/p/m89x2_m0001.JPG
http://dalong.net/review/mg/m89x3/p/m89x3_m0001.JPG
We don't know yet the official name for the long beam cannon for the base X2, in most places it's called a Buster Launcher too(it's actually the F90 Long Rifle with no solid ammo magazine).
I've only ever seen this weapon referred to as "buster launcher", though the version carried by the X2 Kai is specifically labeled "Jupiter Empire Model".

Also, this is something I noticed randomly while working on the redone lineart: the original CV buster launcher is based on the F90L's long rifle, but the JE version is based on the Zanneck's mega beam cannon. This further reinforces the implied connection between the Jovians and Zanscare.
http://img-cdn.jg.jugem.jp/27d/218995/2 ... 539802.jpg
http://www.mahq.net/mecha/gundam/v/line ... cannon.jpg
I believe the grenade appeared at least in a toy where it could be held in the side skirt hardpoint.
To the best of my knowledge, the Crossbones' grenades have never been reproduced in toy or model format.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
balofo

To the best of my knowledge, the Crossbones' grenades have never been reproduced in toy or model format.
It was depicted in the GFF versions which are Katoki made. BTW in the manga you can see the nuke grenade stored just like this.

http://www.geocities.jp/lifezoids/X362.JPG
http://www.geocities.jp/lifezoids/X364.JPG
http://www.geocities.jp/lifezoids/X383.JPG

I'd go with manteau, but that's up to Mark :)

And yeah all the iconic Zanscare tech came from the JE: Einerad from the Vagon and Beam Rotor from the Elcopte. Ghost makes the connection finally clear with Kagatie adopting Kizo who's a Dogatie son and was tutored by Karas.

Also in Ghost the Carmelo uses the same old JE made Buster Launcher 20 years later.
toysdream

Well, the holy Kenkyusha J-E dictionary defines マント as "mantle", "cloak", or "cape" - skipping over the French derivation of the term and just giving the English equivalent. Same principle, I guess, as translating ランドセル as "backpack" instead of "ransel". Incidentally, while Kenkyusha says マント is from the French "manteau", the Japanese Wikipedia says it's from the Portuguese "manto" - so it's not even clear what Euro-language you'd use if you weren't translating it into English.

Personally, I'd be happy to call it an anti-beam coating cloak, but the MG kits give us a precedent for "mantle" so I'll stick with that.

-- Mark
balofo

HOLY SH**!

http://i.imgur.com/lZIvlRe.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/oknHgWE.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/zLp5oCi.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/zWiS9W1.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/blxeFps.jpg

-Large color lineart for Vigna Ronah, Netix, Great Zeong AND Centurio Consulare!
-B/W detail lineart and specs for Vigna Ronah, Centurio Consulare, Mystic Phase and Leos II VS

Mark, take note: the custom G-Stream is called Pina Custom according to tokita. https://twitter.com/kouichi_tokita/stat ... 2449688576

Mark, another thing: I saw in a chinese blog that there's a copyright problem with the Dolmel, that's why it will never appear on the Catalog. True?
AmuroNT1

Am I the only one who feels like the proportions on the Great Zeong are kind of "off"?
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

balofo

LOL, Hasegawa himself asked the MS Catalog editing staff to contact him next time so they can give them high res lineart instead of the stuff taken directly from the manga pages they used in 2015.

http://blog.studio-himitsukichi.com/?eid=120

He also mentioned Ghost being in the next edition
toysdream

Talk about your instant karma! I just finished inputting all of balofo's final UC corrections, and then the doorbell rang to let me know the FedEx guy was delivering my copy of the new MS Encyclopedia. I'll hold off opening it until I get these notes typed up; later there'll be a comprehensive report on the book itself. :-)

G-Cannon Magna: Added the quadruple machine cannon as "unconfirmed" since it's never been listed in the actual published specs. (I think we know the drill by now.)

Core Fighter F90 III: The problem is that we're unclear on the weapons for this guy. (As with the Cluster Gundam itself.) I left the weapons off for now, but I did add the Core Booster form.

Silhouette Gundams: I think I had the beam cannons attached to the wrong version - good catch! And the MS Encyclopedia line art does identify the gadget on the Kai's right arm as a grenade launcher, so I rephrased that bit and left the under-barrel of its beam rifle mysterious for now.

Neo Gundam Core Fighter: This may sound stupid, but I'm not sure what to call it. We have an official moniker for the Cluster Gundam's Core Fighter, but what do they call this one?

Cluster Gundam Prototype: This feels like something I should include. Would it be considered a Silhouette Formula design, an F91 variation, or a V Gundam variation?

Den'an Gei: Moved head vulcans to "unconfirmed", which is how they're described in the Gundam Perfect File series.

Ebirhu-S: Added shoulder recon pod. No idea on the shot claw reloads! :-)

Lafressia: Added a parenthetical "(beam cannon, chainsaw)" to the tentacle rods. Good catch!

Cannon Gundam: Added "beam cannon, 150mm high-velocity cannon" under unconfirmed, and moved the shield there as well since it's mentioned in the MS Encyclopedia.

G-Cannon and Heavygun variations: I spent quite a while going through old materials from B-Club, Gundam Magazine, Hobby Japan, etc, and I think I've got this pretty much sorted. The G-Cannon's "gun unit" is actually the device on its right arm, as noted in the Gundam Perfect File callouts.

Vigna Ghina II: Other than the beam shield and shot lancer, I just don't feel like we have enough data to assume anything else about its weapons. Beam sabers? Rifle? Giant spoon? We could refer to the G-Generation games, but I decided the safest option was "beam shield, shot lancer (heavy machine gun x 2), etc".

Gun EZ, Gunblastor, V2 Gundam, Shokew: The thing is, the weird one-use weapons are listed in the MS Encylopedia, so I don't feel like I should delete them outright. Ideally we'd have a category for "options", but instead I exiled them to "unconfirmed".

V Gundam: Added all the wacky option weapons under "unconfirmed". Thank you! Does it seem excessive to list them for the V-Hexa, too? Which of these does the V-Hexa actually use?

V-Dash: Added the gatling guns as "unconfirmed", which is how they're listed for the Core Booster anyway.

V2 Assault: I changed this to "I-field generators" plural.

Heavygun: Added vulcans, shield is "unconfirmed".

Jamesgun and Zollidia: Added weapons from model kits as "unconfirmed". Thank you!

Zolo: I might pass on the wing-mounted tanks. They're probably just fuel tanks, and right now I don't have weapons listed for the Top Terminal anyway.

Galguyu: Added periscope as unconfirmed.

Zanneck: Great catches! I gave the Zanneck Base its own listing (and did the same for the League Militaire's Setter as well). For the suit itself, I listed "particle accelerator (beam cannons)" since it's not clear whether there are four or ten per accelerator.

Birknau and Doggorla: Not sure how I feel about relying on Ghost info - maybe if there were some way to flag that as "unconfirmed"? As for the head beam saber, I changed that to "tactile type" which does seem like a more precise translation.

Rig Contio: The color section of the MS Encyclopedia has this as "variable beam launcher" without the "mega", which is how most of the older sources (and the official V Gundam website) appear to have it. Let's see what the 2015 edition says. :-)

Twinrad: Added "5-tube". And since I don't feel we have enough data to fill in the V-MSV specs, that means the UC series is DONE! And just in the nick of time! Thank you so much for all your research effort!

-- Mark
balofo

Great, I think it's better we leave Try and G-Reco for later until their own mooks are released.

I suggest doing Turn A and G Gundam next since they are the toughest ones left, Wing is pretty straightforward.

We should also go over G Gen and Games in the future since there are many additions and their section was reworked. I think I'm gonna get my copy this week, so I will analyze the new stuff from older series too.

Crossbone:
-Add the rifle grenade/nuke as unconfirmed for the X1/Kai since they appear in games like G Gen and EXVS. The X3 also uses the nuke grenade in the last vol and I would list zanbuster (beam zanber, buster gun) and brand marker (beam shield) x 2 as unconfirmed for it too.
-I see you're leaving the X1 Kai model number as XM-X1 instead of XM-X1 Kai. Funny how the pbandai page uses XM-X1 Kai but the model box has no model number
-So you didn't add the specs for the other F97s, if you want I can give suggestions for the specs that should be the same as the XM-X1

SF91:
-SILHOUETTE GUNDAM KAI also has beam cannons on the VSBR, it's even listed in its manual. They both have this feature, though the base unit one isn't mentioned in the manual
-Neo Gundam Core Fighter: I would call it Core Fighter Neo Gundam, G Gen F has it like this but with parenthesis.
-Cluster Gundam Prototype: A picture is worth a thousand words. http://i.imgur.com/RLnFTNc.jpg

F91:
-I saw yesterday a discussion on whether the Lafressia carrries Bugs on its frame or not on 2chan. G Gen games usually have this but it seems it's mentioned in one of those old F91 books, perhaps add as unconfirmed.

V:
-The MG has the waist optional weapon as beam cannon in katakana and English but you listed it as beam gun. No need to list the optional weapons but a Hexa used for sure the waist beam cannons in the final eps and vaguely remember but can't confirm if it was a Hexa using the leg missile pods in Earth during the Motorad arc, all the other ones I'm 100% positive it was base V only.
Deacon Blues

It says Variable Mega Beam Launcher for the Rig Contio.
toysdream

A couple items of old business first...

Crossbone: Do we have an official name for the rifle grenade? I don't think it's ever been listed in the specs, but if there's a standard term used in toys or games, that'll work.

The X3's zanbuster is normally included in the specs, and it uses it in the comic, so I think that's confirmed. The beam shield it uses in the comic seems to be a disposable clip-on version - normally not in the specs, so I'll put that down as "unconfirmed."

As for the X1 Kai, the fact that its funky model number isn't inherited by the Patchwork and the Full Cloth makes me inclined to ignore it.

I included the specs for the X2ex, as per the HG-UC kit, because they're honest enough to admit that most of its specs are unknown. Normally they just copy-paste the weights, power output, etc, from the X1 to all the other versions, which I think is silly. As far as I'm concerned, only the X1 has full specs.

Silhouette: Thanks for the correction on the VSBRs! I'll add the F90Y Kai top fighter. As for the Neo Gundam's core fighter, G Generation F lists it as "Core Fighter (Neo)"...

F91: I really don't think the Lafressia can deploy Bugs on its own. That seems like a game gimmick.

Victory: All the old sources called the hip weapons "beam guns", perhaps because they can be hand-operated. "Beam cannon" seems like a newfangled retcon. :-)

Speaking of which, time for first impressions on the new edition of the MS Encyclopedia! On the whole, I like it - they took out all the text and specs from the color pages, and made the pictures bigger. Generally, more pictures are improved than degraded, and more spellings are corrected than newly mangled, so it's more or less a net upgrade.

The black and white pages no longer have gray backgrounds, for your scanning convenience. There seem to have been some hiccups in merging the two redundant sets of specs from the 2013 edition, which has introduced a new round of typos and copy-paste errors. Also, since some things only appear in the color section, there are quite a few mobile suits that no longer have text or specs in this edition.

Notable changes and additions:

Gundam The Origin: A new color page, and corresponding mono pages, with the stuff from the first two OVA episodes.

MSV-R: Almost a complete lineup. Off the top of my head, they're still missing the alternate colors for the GM Cannon space type, and the GM Night Seeker II. They didn't really bother coming up with English spellings for most of these.

Advance of Zeta: I think the Hyzenthlay-Rah II is new in this edition. I'm amused that they're ignoring the new AoZ serial. :-)

Gundam ZZ and Char's Counterattack: Major downgrade to the artwork - no more pretty shaded color art! I also note that they've standardized on "Doven Wolf" (with an umlaut) as per the model kits.

Gundam Unicorn: Almost all the new stuff added. The Zaku III is only in color, the Bawoo only in mono, and if you're looking for the Gigan then I guess you can whistle for it. They added a bunch of new MSVs, the Phenex, etc, but only in the color section.

G Gundam: The power-up versions from the Gundam Ace manga are included in the color section only.

Gundam Seed Destiny: Added the Strike Rouge Ootori.

Gundam Seed Destiny Astray R/B: Added! Hooray! Color section only, which means no text or specs.

Gundam Age: I think they added the rest of the MSV stuff, although only in the color section.

Build Fighters, Try, Side Stories: All added, including stuff like the Wing Zero Honoo, Command Astray, and Nu Gundam Vrabe. Even the Cathedral Gundam snuck in under the wire! Most of the side story stuff is only in the color section.

G-Reco: All added, in color and mono.

The previous "Game" section is now rebranded as "Game/Comics/etc". They haven't moved the old comics side stories out of the regular UC and "Another Century" sections, but they seem to be adding new ones at the back of the book alongside the games.

Missing Link: Added, including the Full Armor Slave Wraith. Pale Rider and Todesritter are in the mono section, too.

G Generation: Added the Great Zeong, NT-X, and Vigna Ronah (that last one's in the mono section too). Oddly, the Phoenix Zero is omitted. The Centurio Consulare is in both color and mono sections, but nothing else from DS. World, 3D, and Over World are completely ignored.

Extreme Vs.: Tons of stuff!

Gundam Thunderbolt: All the space stuff (no Gouf or Guntank), in the color section only. This is tucked in the back with the games, as is...

Crossbone Gundam: In the mono section only, and crammed into four dense pages with no specs. This covers almost everything from the original series, Skull Heart, and Steel Seven, except for the original X2, the X1 Kai, the Ball Type 133, the original version of Harrison's F91, the mass-produced Quarvarze, and the infamous Gump. On the other hand, they did include the Barbus and the B Gundam.

-- Mark
Wingnut

F91: I really don't think the Lafressia can deploy Bugs on its own. That seems like a game gimmick.
The last episode of Build Fighters Try agrees with you.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
AmuroNT1

toysdream wrote:Crossbone Gundam: In the mono section only, and crammed into four dense pages with no specs. This covers almost everything from the original series, Skull Heart, and Steel Seven, except for the original X2, the X1 Kai, the Ball Type 133, the original version of Harrison's F91, the mass-produced Quarvarze, and the infamous Gump. On the other hand, they did include the Barbus and the B Gundam.
Yeah, that sounds about right...to my knowledge, almost none of the exceptions you mentioned ever got lineart from Hasegawa, which is why I had to patch most of them together a couple of years ago when I did that giant recolor project for Chris. The only thing I know of that has "forgotten" lineart is the X2, and I've only ever seen that in a diagram from the Mobile Suit Gundam Characters book: http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f356/ ... gltdj1.jpg

As for the Crossbones' grenades, games like Climax U.C. and Extreme Vs. just label them as "grenade launcher"...a technically inaccurate name, but what can you do?

As a random aside, regarding the Victory's "extra weapons" (V isn't my forte, so I may be wrong on this)...the manual for the MG V-Dash says that the disposable bazooka only showed up in the ending animation, and IIRC, didn't the Gatling originally belong to a Zanscare MS and Usso just appropriated it? On the other hand, Unicorn did the same with the beam Gatlings (which were made for the Kshatriya), but those are always listed beside the official specs, so who knows.

And I'm kind of sad that the 2015 Encyclopedia included the upgraded G Gundams, but not the really creepy-looking Devil Gundam versions from the Shinjuku arc.

balofo

10 bucks that Hasegawa has profile lineart for some the missing MS(see the X2 above) but they weren't published in the volumes for whatever reason(space?)

Funny how everything in Steel 7 doesn't have a model number but in Ghost every MS so far that appeared in the profile pages has got its model number.

BTW Amuro you forgot to add the Resistance Pod that appeared in the last Steel 7 chapter when doing youe research: http://i.imgur.com/ZNlCUCC.jpg
bilbros

Still speaking of Neo Gundam's core fighter, some time ago I've found an image where it's labeled as FF-XFN1; unfortunately, I don't know where this picture might come from... maybe a book similar to The Encyclopedia of Gundam, but I'm not sure.
Last edited by bilbros on Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
toysdream

So hey, while I was doing some unrelated data-checking for Sunrise, I realized I have a bunch of spreadsheets they sent me back in 2008 with studio-checked data on all the U.C. anime mobile suits to that point. (In other words, excluding Unicorn and all the non-anime stuff.)

It turns out that this has a lot of interesting info - names for weapons that we didn't previously have names for (some of this has turned up in the Gundam Fact/Perfect File series, which seems to have been compiled using the same Sunrise-provided data), and notes on when various single-use weapons appeared. For example, the Zaku's shoulder shield is called the "Zaku shield", and the Zeta Gundam uses a hyper bazooka in episode 19 of ZZ. What's more, the weapons lists are helpfully divided into "fixed" and "handheld" items - you'll see this in the specs posted on the official Gundam 0083 website, and in the "Sunrise Art Works" books for 0083 and 08th MS Team, which likewise seem to have been data-dumped from these spreadsheets.

I'm collating all this info right now, and I'll apply it in the next round of updates...

-- Mark
AmuroNT1

balofo wrote:BTW Amuro you forgot to add the Resistance Pod that appeared in the last Steel 7 chapter when doing youe research: http://i.imgur.com/ZNlCUCC.jpg
I honestly missed that when I went through the manga...it's pretty forgettable and if not for that Gundam War card I don't think anyone would have noticed.

balofo

Can't wait for that info Mark!

Anyway here is a HQ scan of the Shuffle Alliance manga upgrades, all of them have a Core Lander:

http://i.imgur.com/SXJgeG6.jpg

BTW the Double Dragon can transform into a dragon head MA mode by joining all its limbs forward:

http://i.imgur.com/06LuVUv.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/YVEtWtm.jpg

I noticed the Resistance Pod when reading Steel 7. Hasegawa loves Ball style machines
AmuroNT1

Maybe I'm weird, but I really don't care for the Max Revolver. I kind of liked how Maxter was this crazy clash of American stereotypes; reducing it down to just one idea (a cowboy motif) just makes it look silly.

Also, a rather amusing note: Information about Nightingale's moveset in Extreme Vs. Maxi Boost has shown that it'll have the Psyco Doga as an Assist Character - which, to the best of my knowledge, is the first time we'll get a decent look at the whole thing rather than that one head shot from ages ago.

http://www.famitsu.com/images/000/082/8 ... de55be.jpg

balofo

AmuroNT1 wrote:Maybe I'm weird, but I really don't care for the Max Revolver. I kind of liked how Maxter was this crazy clash of American stereotypes; reducing it down to just one idea (a cowboy motif) just makes it look silly.

Also, a rather amusing note: Information about Nightingale's moveset in Extreme Vs. Maxi Boost has shown that it'll have the Psyco Doga as an Assist Character - which, to the best of my knowledge, is the first time we'll get a decent look at the whole thing rather than that one head shot from ages ago.

http://www.famitsu.com/images/000/082/8 ... de55be.jpg
Psyco Doga has been given a full redesign by Yanase for the BC manga. It's based on that old pic and the only difference is the new BR, shield with 3 psycommu guided missiles.

http://www.imagebam.com/image/75d101421045567

The Maxi Nightingale also uses the new manga design since it retains the chest MPC not present in the RE/100 version