MS Catalog

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
toysdream

Re: MS Catalog

Okay, almost done with a big block of game and M-MSV information. Lots of new and shocking stuff in here!

First, though, a really obscure question. I've been consulting the attack animations in the SD Gundam G Generation series for supplemental details, but there's one animation from G Generation F that I can't find. (I have the G Generation F.IF disc, which lets you play sample battles, but the disc must be damaged because this particular animation simply won't load anymore.)

So, can anyone find the attack animation for the Mass Production Type Psyco Gundam's grenade launchers? Nobody seems to know where these are, and the Gundam Perfect File says their location is unknown, but I'm pretty positive these are actually in the protruding unit on its back. I don't need to see the animation - I just want to know where the grenades appear to launch from!

-- Mark
AmuroNT1

I happen to have G Gen F-IF myself, as a matter of fact. Let me see if I can load it up and get that animation for you.

EDIT: http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f356/ ... aa1cfb.png

There's the before, during, and a shot with the approximate launch location circled. Looking at the lineart, my best guess would be those depressions at the top of the front skirt armor.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
balofo

Regarding the Mass Production Type Psyco Gundam's grenade launchers, it has been featured in GPF. It says it has 14 total, but I believe it says the location is unknown :)

http://imgur.com/8TFzIj3
http://imgur.com/Ihrpc14

Funny that the backpack lineart has the center piece opening and revealing exactly 7 ports, but where are the other 7?
toysdream

Thanks so much, AmuroNT1! Well, so much for it supporting my theory. The G Generation F animation isn't necessarily definitive - I think they goofed on the location of the Gundam Marine Type's torpedo pods - but it still muddies the waters.

The original SD Club profile listed the Psyco Gundam Mass Production Type with "grenade launcher (7 shots) x 2". I suspect that the "x 2' could be a typo, since most of the items items in the weapons list are all "x 2", but there's no way of knowing that now. I do note that, in the "Secret Formula" comic published in SD Club, the back unit does seem to contain a weapon of some kind - it's kept closed throughout the comic, and then opens as the mobile suit is preparing to blast an AEUG ship with all of its weapons.

As for GPF, its specs list uses a slightly different phrasing - it says "7基x2", whereas SD Club said "7発" (7 shots). The 基 counter is used to count individual missiles, but also individual turrets or multi-barreled pods, so this kind of implies two sets of seven launchers rather than two launchers with seven rounds each.

So you can see why I'm confused! :-)

There are a few other cases of mystery weapon locations in the M-MSV series. Let's list a few for your consideration...

Gundam Marine Type: Has torpedo pod x 2. I think these are in the protruding tops of its backpack, and this is where they seem to launch from in the MS Collection Novels, although G Generation F has them launching from its hips.

Aqua GM: Also has torpedo pod x 2. I believe these are distinct from the two large anti-ship torpedoes housed in its handheld missile launcher, and they're probably in its backpack pods.

Full Armor Hyaku Shiki Kai: Appears to have multiple missile pods. G Generation F shows missiles launching from the pods under its armpits, and the design looks like it also has missile pods on its calves. The MS Encyclopedia also lists "grenade launcher x 2," but that may just be copied-and-pasted from the armaments of the regular Hyaku Shiki Kai, whose arm launchers would be covered by the armor.

Full Armor RX-78-7 Gundam: As you may have noticed, its armaments list includes a bunch of missiles and grenade launchers and beam spray guns and micromissiles that can't all be seen in the artwork. A lot of these may be swappable options.

-- Mark
Zeonista

You've been doing an amazing job listing all the MS data! :) I keep trying to verify the applicable data, but my short-term attention span distracts me with wallowing in all the information! :D
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
balofo

-Full Armor RX-78-7 Gundam take my list, it can't get better than that :)
-Aqua GM have you considered the shoulder strange ports/vents? the old MS Bible lists at it having 8 torpedoes.
-Marine Gundam: backpack definetely
-FA Type 100: 2x on the waist/chest, 2 on each calf. I believe the MS Catalog has mistakenly put the the Land Type's Shield in the FA B/W section which houses 2 grenades at the tip. jp wiki lists 腰部2連装ミサイルポッド 脚部2連装ミサイルポッド. Old MS Bible has

http://imgur.com/WUEjVBU

Mark, are the explosive bolts the extra parts on knuckle?
AmuroNT1

When the FA Hyaku Shiki Kai appears in Super Robot Wars, the explosive bolts are indeed those three red protrusions on the back of its hands...they're also usually portrayed as some kind of electrified knuckle-duster. Here's its melee animation from its most recent appearance in SRW MX:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzIah4eKiUc&t=2m43s

Also, are we sure about those calf missiles? It kinda looks like they'd blow its own feet off as they launched. :D
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

toysdream

balofo wrote:-Aqua GM have you considered the shoulder strange ports/vents? the old MS Bible lists at it having 8 torpedoes.
The original SD Club profile lists it as having "torpedo pod x 2, micromissile x 8, beam pick x 4, missile launcher." So the eight shoulder ports are pretty clearly micromissiles.

As we know, the handheld missile launcher includes two large anti-ship torpedoes. But I'm pretty sure those aren't the "torpedo pods" in the original weapons list. For one thing, the Gundam Marine Type specs lead off with an identical "torpedo pod x 2." What's more, in all the SD Club specs they appear to follow a consistent listing order - built-in (fixed) weapons, then external weapons, then optional gear (although they do tend to put the beam rifle first). Based on the way all the other SD Club specs are formatted, if these torpedoes were in the missile launcher, they'd be next to it at the bottom of the list.
-FA Type 100: 2x on the waist/chest, 2 on each calf. I believe the MS Catalog has mistakenly put the the Land Type's Shield in the FA B/W section which houses 2 grenades at the tip. jp wiki lists 腰部2連装ミサイルポッド 脚部2連装ミサイルポッド. Old MS Bible has

http://imgur.com/WUEjVBU
Ah, that's an excellent find! I've scanned through EB 25 a bunch of times doing this research, but I missed the breakdown of missile pod locations.

The Ground Battle Type does appear to have grenades in the end of its shield, and their place in the original SD Club specs list (right in between the hand grenades and the optional shoulder weapons) is consistent with a shield location. The one thing that gives me pause is the SD Club text profile, which specifically refers to "shoulder grenade launchers".
Mark, are the explosive bolts the extra parts on knuckle?
Funny you should ask...!

AmuroNT1 wrote: When the FA Hyaku Shiki Kai appears in Super Robot Wars, the explosive bolts are indeed those three red protrusions on the back of its hands...they're also usually portrayed as some kind of electrified knuckle-duster. Here's its melee animation from its most recent appearance in SRW MX:
Very cool! I suspect, though, that they've interpreted these as "explosive volt" rather than "explosive bolt". The original SD Club profile specifically described them as shotgun-style explosives:
Its explosive bolts worked like shotguns, greeting approaching enemies with explosive shells, but their destructive power was not that high and they were effective only against exposed parts like mono-eyes and joints.
More recently, this obscure feature has been revived as an optional weapon for the Gundam Delta Kai. The "Prismatic Mobiles" feature in Gundam Ace provides a detailed explanation:
Updated versions of the Full Armor Hyaku Shiki Kai's equipment of the same name, which were originally installed for purging add-on units, but the impact force when they were used was also employed as a close-range attack measure. These updated versions are specialized for offensive purposes. They contain capacitors, so in addition to the explosive impact, when attacking they also provide a compound damage effect via high-voltage electrical current.
So it really seems like, rather than reusable melee weapons or even offensive shell launchers, these are more like an armor purge system on steroids! The Delta Kai's explosive bolts are pretty big, though, so the circles on the Full Armor Hyaku Shiki Kai's forearms could be these bolts.

The other thing those forearm circles resemble is the cluster of three discs on the shoulder binders of the Full Armor Gundam Mark III. Again, the SD Club profile text suggests otherwise, saying that this machine has a total of four grenades in its arms rather than its shoulders. But they do look pretty grenade-y, especially in Katoki's Gundam Fix Figuration version...

-- Mark
AmuroNT1

I was aware explosive bolts existed in the real world (also known as pyrotechnic fasteners), and in fact they get used for a similar purpose, getting extra equipment off in a hurry. Didn't realize that the FAHSK's weapons were just a weaponized version of them. Though it is kind of cool that the Delta Kai actually incorporates the electric function we see in Super Robot Wars' version.

balofo

Interesting booklet coming with the LE of the new PS3 game: Side Stories Archives

http://imgur.com/CGqcE0f

might be extremely relevant for this thread :)
toysdream

Wow, pretty cool! First time I've ever felt the need for a PS3. :-)

And yes, I think the Delta Kai's explosive volt-bolts must be a SRW homage. Maybe this is Katoki's apology for removing them from the Gundam Fix version of the Full Armor Hyaku Shiki Kai!

-- Mark
AmuroNT1

BTW Mark, this is something I've been wondering for quite a while (and it's on-topic since it has to do with weapon/equipment loadouts): Is there any kind of official listing of what MS actually have dummy balloons by default, or is it just assumed that after a certain point (apparently the Gryps Conflict) they come standard on every MS and just don't get used all that often?

CloudFF7

I have a question about the Rebawoo, does it still have the forearm grenade launchers and beam sabers, and with the addition of the psycoframe does the bawoo nutter, still use Minvosky transmission or does it now use newtype psyco-waves.
Calubin_175

Page 41 of MS Illustrated 2013 has a red Guncannon(Jaburo Defense Force Version) listed under Zeta Gundam TV with all the Jaburo MSV units. Did such a unit really appear or are they referring to Hayato's unit in his museum/hangar?

The other thing is, in the Popular Edition 2013, the Moralia Enact from 00F was misprinted as a regular Enact.
balofo

Calubin_175 wrote:Page 41 of MS Illustrated 2013 has a red Guncannon(Jaburo Defense Force Version) listed under Zeta Gundam TV with all the Jaburo MSV units. Did such a unit really appear or are they referring to Hayato's unit in his museum/hangar?

The other thing is, in the Popular Edition 2013, the Moralia Enact from 00F was misprinted as a regular Enact.
So the Moralia Enact from 00F got color lineart? Could you post the scan, please?
Calubin_175

I meant the profile states Enact Custom Mass Production Type, but the lineart is still the normal Enact.

Anyway, the book omitted all the MS which only had non colored lineart available, such as the new mecha from Char's Deleted Affair, the latter half of Origin manga, and no black Astraea to Abulhool, only Plutone and Rasiel. Obviously, no Crossbone at all!

The book is sorted by in universe chronology but still kept the game MS separate.

Does the +drawings edition include any of the black and white only MS?
balofo

Calubin_175 wrote:I meant the profile states Enact Custom Mass Production Type, but the lineart is still the normal Enact.

Anyway, the book omitted all the MS which only had non colored lineart available, such as the new mecha from Char's Deleted Affair, the latter half of Origin manga, and no black Astraea to Abulhool, only Plutone and Rasiel. Obviously, no Crossbone at all!

The book is sorted by in universe chronology but still kept the game MS separate.

Does the +drawings edition include any of the black and white only MS?
Yes, DOWNLOAD it right now! It has some B/W lineart like the Origin GMs
toysdream

Or, ahem, BUY it! :-)

-- Mark
balofo

toysdream wrote:Or, ahem, BUY it! :-)

-- Mark
Talking about rare books, Mark do you have Gundam X Mobile Suit Collection?

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTAyNFgxMDIz/ ... q/$_57.JPG

Let's do X after GAMES MSV. Lots of interesting stuff to be discussed.
Calubin_175

Noticed that the G-Dome Gundam and Zakus are their 30th anniversary versions, aka Real Grade/Battle Operation, but the Gelgoog is none of it. Looks quite retro but nothing like the Battle Operation version or the Ver.2.0 MG.

Anyway, the inclusion of the vanilla Guncannon ジャブロー防衛部隊 shiyou might be a mistake.