Gundam Wing GOL/FT/MG new stuff THREAD

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Arsarcana

Re: Gundam Wing GOL/FT/MG new stuff THREAD

ShadowCell wrote:DESTINY and AGE fans should be demanding that Frozen Teardrop get a faithful animated adaptation, anyway, so that it can assume the sacred mantle of Most Hated Gundam Show
Now now, both those shows at least started out good then failed to deliver on their potential. I think Frozen Teardrop whizzed its potential down its leg way earlier than the quarter-way mark that GSD and AGE managed to reach (at minimum) before they started going downhill. It took FT how long to start trying to ruin Treize again?

Besides, why would you wish such a thing on anyone? What has the world done to you that you want to see it suffer so? :P
AmuroNT1

Deacon Blues wrote:Original Characters? Unless you count the minor named ones... no. There are none.
Thanks, that was what I thought.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
latenlazy

ShadowCell wrote:DESTINY and AGE fans should be demanding that Frozen Teardrop get a faithful animated adaptation, anyway, so that it can assume the sacred mantle of Most Hated Gundam Show
Remember when that title used to go to ZZ? Ah the good ol' days...
balofo

Thanks to FalsePrime from animesuki, here are the picture drama impressions
Alright, Box Set II arrived and I have watched the entirety of the Picture Drama and it has some serious good points and some bad, I will just do a bullet point review for those interested.

First off the art work is beautiful, they took the time to make it fit 16x9 and they did an amazing job, it doesn't look stretched or anything, just gorgeous. Relena has never looked better then she does in this.

2. They use music from Wing TV music, and while it came with Wing TV the series, the fact it is an Endless Watlz production left me wondering which they would go with. It was amazing choice, they do an amazing job using icon tracks from the show, and almost all of them fit.

3. The most important thing, it's siginifcantly better then the Novels. Granted the content isn't new, but they do three things to improve what has been a train wreck thus far.

3.1 - First and most importantly ALL backstory and flash backs have been completely cut. This is all Mars century, the cast, the story and the suits.

3.2 - The keep the pace going, something Sumizawa has zero ability to do. The length is pretty much exactly 1 Wing Episode long (another great thing, they even do the mid episode cut with the characters flashing, and include the track that accompanies it) so it doesn't over stay it's welcome and allows the the story to go from point a ->b and maintain flow.

3.3 The soundtrack and introductions. The music is nearly perfectly timed, with each having a unique piece of music fitting the character or the suit.

4. It's definitly set up to have a follow up, it only goes to about the halfway point of where we are. In fact the ending is right after Heero and Relena talk over the comms while Heero is in Snow White.

5. There are a few new added pieces of art, but they are very minor, the most noticable is a new side shot of Epyon from it's side as well as it launching from a hanger. To go along with this though, they did added very small animations, like beam effects actually glowing and having Energy look as if it's emminating from the weapon.

6. Heero and Relena's VA's. I along with a few others aren't exactly up on the Heero/Relena angle that gets pushed, but now more then ever it really felt like the two really felt like the got their characters and made the scene between them work. The back and forth just felt right.

Lastly for positives, the characters never felt like clones when watching it. The main two featured are Fenrir (Duo Jr.) and Duo Sr. They had their own unique feel and Duo does 100% come across as Duo, the VA combined with how the scenes made him feel like himself and not someone going by the name.

Down points? There are some I have to admit.

Most of the art is recyclyed. Also while they do add some nice effects and the music do alot to hide it, you can feel that they where limited in what they could show simply because there has been so little art to come out of Novel series.

Another thing that was a double edged sword was it really excelles where the Novel fails, Pacing, feel, mood, but it also is let down by the fact they had 20 minutes to work with and it leaves things cloudy and you really needing more to get into it.

Side notes.

I didn't notice it until I had it in Full HD and infront of me but some small details.

First - Snow White's Head Jewel and Goate are Violet and NOT red. Also Snow White's eyes are not Wing Green, but Blue/Turquoise. Also they give a pretty good discription of Snow White's buster rifle, and even the way they carry on, it makes it really stand out how you don't want to fuck with this machine.

Last - The ending is Sleeping Beauty and the Prince Charming capsules floating next to each other (another Relena/Heero shout out), it's kinda animated with several of each floating around.

The worst part of this is none of it is physical. I had hoped that the book would contain physical picutres of the Drama, but that isn't the case. You get some bio's on OZ suits and pilots. There is one interesting picture from Okawara of a beta version of Epyon that is quite different then the finished product.

The only Frozen Teardrop art that comes with the set is in fact that Relena/Heero picture that annoyed fans.
http://i.imgur.com/xOfLifM.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/WBQOpbN.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/viNUqqD.jpg
AmuroNT1

Like I said before, Sakura Asagi's artwork is one of the few bright spots in this terrible story.
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

Wingnut

balofo wrote:Pic drama is out! Anime when?
Hopefully never.
AmuroNT1 wrote:Like I said before, Sakura Asagi's artwork is one of the few bright spots in this terrible story.
About the only one really, and it doesn't even come close to making me like this.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
AmuroNT1

Yeah, but let's be fair. One person can't save a travesty of a story, no matter how good they are. Like with the Street Fighter movie - Raul Julia chewed the scenery like it was imported caviar, and the best he could do was make it So Bad It's Good.

balofo

Seriously this can't go wrong, even with Sumisawa wife problems and derpiness, just get a decent director and some competent writer to translate this into an anime. With Katoki designing the MSes, Ishigaki the ships, Sakura Asagi the characters and they could just remix the original OST and just add some songs.

This would print money, not mention they could have planned in advance to use the MG frames for the FT new Gundams, since Epyon into Epyon White/Ares is a given.
latenlazy

balofo wrote:Seriously this can't go wrong, even with Sumisawa wife problems and derpiness, just get a decent director and some competent writer to translate this into an anime. With Katoki designing the MSes, Ishigaki the ships, Sakura Asagi the characters and they could just remix the original OST and just add some songs.

This would print money, not mention they could have planned in advance to use the MG frames for the FT new Gundams, since Epyon into Epyon White/Ares is a given.
Ahh, but remember for them to advertise gunpla, the show can't be a flop. AGE didn't sell well probably in part because the show started sucking by the second half.

EDIT: Then again, that didn't stop the ****storm that was Destiny from happening, and that sold very well. I suppose if they layer it with all the lowest common denominator kinds of fan service that diehard Wing fans can sometimes have it could be a success. Not that I would want it to be.
balofo

I heard Two-Mix is making new songs for the 20th anniversary, hmmm...

I'd be satisfied with just revealing the MS designs and the gunpla but it's obvious Bamco has deeper plans for this.

I'd say we're getting SEED or a Wing anime sequel soon, or both :)
ShadowCell

balofo wrote:Sumisawa wife problems
wait, what?
balofo

Sumisawa's wife has multiple sclerosis and this is the cause of the delays and low quality/quantity.
Deacon Blues

Uh... source for this claim, please?
Arsarcana

The artwork is good but nothing can make the TBR Crossbow look like anything other than a reject from a Crossbone Vanguard rummage sale, or make its cartridge system sound like anything other than a video game tie-in.
balofo wrote:I'd say we're getting SEED or a Wing anime sequel soon, or both :)
We've been getting a SEED sequel 'soon' for the past seven years. The last couple of Astray lines reeked of 'we must keep this going in case that movie ever happens, who cares if the kits are lazy and make no sense'. If we do get a Wing sequel, I pray it's not this.

Hey, want 'lazy' but still a better option: Animate Glory of the Losers instead and bring in elements from all the side material other than Frozen Teardrop and maybe G-Unit. Then everything leads nicely to Endless Waltz where the whole thing was originally and very clearly meant to end.
balofo

FINALLY!
-Altron: Tail Beam Cannon, Wings, Beam Trident stored on the Wing's new latch. MG incoming!
-DH: new waist armor/weapons, resemble Buster Shield. Beam Scissor now has 2 emmiters that can function in 90 degrees independently

http://imgur.com/QIGDu3K
http://imgur.com/4cFiAwq
Heaven Piercing Man

Crap. Now I'll need to get an old NG 1/144 Altron so I can kitbash its tail beam cannon and wings onto my 1/144 "Nataku" EW
AmuroNT1

Am I the only one who thinks the "twin beam scissors" looks REALLY stupid?

Arsarcana

No stupider than the original DH twin scythe really. I still think the original EW model looks the best out of all the designs but at least now there's something you can point to as an 'upgrade' over the original.

And on that note, thank you for finally giving EW!Altron and DH some backup weaponry. Pity we already have MG Deathscythe Hell (not that they can't rerelease it...) but at least there's a very strong chance of seeing the new Altron in MG form.
AmuroNT1

Arsarcana wrote:No stupider than the original DH twin scythe really. I still think the original EW model looks the best out of all the designs but at least now there's something you can point to as an 'upgrade' over the original.
I agree with this almost completely; the only thing is I kinda wish they'd just had the original Deathscythe use the TV beam scythe to start so the beam scissors would actually look like an upgrade.