The Macross Valkyrie Thread

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
yazi88

Re: The Macross Valkyrie Thread

hitokirigarou wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:39 am What are the advantages of the VF-25 over the VF-19 and VF-22?

Advances in tech, avionics, better engines, fold quartz, Ex-Gear, and stronger PACK systems put the VF-25 and the rest of its VF-24 family tree far above the VF-19 and VF-22. VF-25 is a 5th generation fighter compared to the 4th gen VF-19 and VF-22. IIRC, in combat test exercises, I think it was either the VF-24 or VF-25 that easily beat a number of VF-19s and VF-22s.
hitokirigarou

When were the rollout years for the following: VF-9, VF-14, VA-3, VA-14, VB-6, Neo Glaug, and the Variable Glaug?

Do the Neo Glaug and Variable Glaug have model numbers / vehicle designations?

Does the Neo Glaug have a battroid mode?
Seto Kaiba

yazi88 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:07 pm IIRC, the bayonet showed up in Macross Plus only, I don't think any VF-11 used it in Macross 7, I could be wrong.
The stock VF-11C in the Macross 7 series used an economized version of the gunpod that removed the bayonet as a cost saving move. It still had the great bloody spike on the shield for when things got up close and personal though.

That said, in Macross 7 Plus, Ray Lovelock's old unit were shown using the older model of gunpod that had the bayonet... the hilariously named "Pink Peckers". (No, I am not making that name up.)

yazi88 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:07 pm VF-11 also had the optional Armored pack similar to the VF-1 and VF-0 which heavily increased its firepower at the cost of mobility. I also noticed that we have yet to see the heavy projectile gunpod outside the armored pack of the VF-11, later VFs opted for the beam gunpod beam adapter/heavy quantum grenade for more firepower on gunpods.
For a given value of "heavy", sure... I think the biggest problem with the GU-XS-06 gunpod the Full Armor VF-11 used was that it was so huge it was only suited for use in space.

The "New Standard" gunpods developed for the 4th Generation VFs were a lot more powerful than what the VF-11 was carrying, and the GU-17 that was developed for the VF-25 was so over-the-top that the VF-19EFs needed structural reinforcement just to wield one. (This is explicitly noted in Macross the Ride.)

I'd also call the SSL-9B Dragunov 55mm railgun a fairly heavy gunpod... it's killier than anything seen to date except a heavy quantum beam gunpod with beam grenade mode on. Not rapid fire, mind, but still a gunpod nasty enough to perforate even the heaviest Vajra armor consistently.

hitokirigarou wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:39 am Thanks for the response, Seto Kaiba.
At your service. :)

hitokirigarou wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:39 am What mainly bothers me about the VF-5000 and VF-11 is that, aside from their gunpods, they have no other forward-firing ballistic or energy weapon in fighter mode.
It does seem a bit of an odd choice, but in that generation missiles seem to have been given much greater emphasis than guns. By all accounts, the VF-11's FAST packs were capable of Itano Circuses on a level the VF-19 and VF-22 were hard-pressed to match, and wouldn't be exceeded until the VF-25 came around.

The VF-5000 kind of gets a pass on that, since it was intended only for light duty "behind the lines", as it were. Against the Zentradi, if you don't stop them in space you have essentially lost the war already, so they were more for light patrol duty than anything. There's one piece of art in This is Animation Special: Macross Plus that shows the VF-5000 with pylon-mounted beam weaponry. The reason the VF-5000s were sold off to the Zola Patrol is that they were suitably low-tech at the time not to pose a threat to the (New) UN Forces should things go south with the Zolans, and the Zolans themselves didn't really give a damn about having high-powered offensive capability, they wanted non-lethal, so the lack of forward-facing beam weaponry didn't put them off any.

hitokirigarou wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:39 am What are the advantages of the VF-25 over the VF-19 and VF-22?
"Massively increased performance in almost every area" would be the shortest way to put it.

To get a bit more precise:
  • Inertia Store Converter technology protects the cockpit and pilot from high g-forces by displacing inertial forces into super dimension space temporarily, addressing the chief implementation problem with the VF-19 and VF-22's performance exceeding the biological tolerances of the pilot.
  • EXtender Gear cockpit interfaces combine the standard controls with electromyographic sensing, force feedback, and a super-miniaturized learning computer to improve control precision and give the pilot the feeling of "wearing" the variable fighter. It also functions as a movable seat to optimize the pilot's blood flow during maneuvering, an ejection seat, and post-ejection as a powered suit capable of flight, remote operation of the VF, and even limited cold sleep functions.
  • Stage II thermonuclear reaction turbine engines offer over 200% the output of the previous generation's thermonuclear reaction burst turbine engines providing instantaneous acceleration in excess of 30G, while producing enough excess generator output to run the VF-25's energy conversion armor at low power around vital areas (cockpit, engines) even in fighter mode and to run the pinpoint barrier in GERWALK mode, both of which are impossible with previous-gen tech.
  • A next-gen airframe and avionics control AI to integrate it all, the ARIEL II system, a refinement of the ARIEL system used on the VF-19 and VF-22. This facilitates the integrated systems design of the 5th Gen.
  • Improved airframe strength thanks to new hypercarbon-carbon composite materials, and better energy conversion armor systems. The forearm shield incorporates the same ASWAG advanced energy conversion armor used on the VF-25's Armored Pack, which has the defensive ability of a cruiser-class ship.
  • Significant increases in firepower. The GU-17A gunpod developed for the VF-25 is considerably more powerful than the GU-15 and GV-17L, so much so that VF-19s cannot wield it without first receiving some structural reinforcement. It was designed to pierce Vajra energy conversion armor. The VF-25 also has more pylons than almost any previous VF (a whopping 8 on the wings alone).
  • A diverse array of FAST Pack systems to customize the VF for space operations and give it more missile firepower than any other VF to date.

hitokirigarou wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:44 am When were the rollout years for the following: VF-9, VF-14, VA-3, VA-14, VB-6, Neo Glaug, and the Variable Glaug?
First flight of a trial-production VF-9A was in 2021, with mass production beginning in 2022.

First flight of the trial-production VF-14A was in 2027, with mass production beginning in 2028. The VA-14 favored by the Zentradi pilots in New UN Forces service entered mass production c.2030.

The VA-3's particulars are unknown, but it was developed in the 3rd Generation alongside the VB-6 so I'd expect it to be somewhere between 2028 and 2032. We know the VB-6 went into mass production in 2032.

The Variable Glaug's particulars are unknown. The original unit, developed by a Zentradi anti-government paramilitary faction, was presumably developed between 2014 and 2018 using the technology and data for the VF-4 the group stole from Neo York colony in 2014. The model encountered on Cristania in 2018 likely was a trial production unit. The (New) UN Spacy version was constructed sometime around 2022, which is when Moramia Jifon Jenius joined the Dancing Skulls special forces and started piloting one with a miclone cockpit.

The Neo Glaug's particulars are also mostly unknown, we know only that a combat-worthy prototype was in use in 2040 and that it was a rival program to the AIF-X-9 Ghost using similar AI technology.

There was a craft that could arguably be called either a manned conversion of the Neo Glaug or a Variable Glaug upgraded with Neo Glaug hardware in service in 2058 with the terrorist group FASCES, an offshoot of the Latence group that tried to overthrow the New UN Government in 2051 (Macross VF-X2), which is effectively a 4th Gen-equivalent VF.

hitokirigarou wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:44 am Do the Neo Glaug and Variable Glaug have model numbers / vehicle designations?
The Neo Glaug does not, to the best of my knowledge... though Macross the Ride mistakenly put the designation for the Variable Glaug on it.

The original spec Variable Glaug intended for a giant Zentradi pilot is designated VBP-1 Variable Glaug by the New UN Forces. The version reproduced by the New UN Forces with a miclone-suitable VF cockpit is designated VA-110 Variable Glaug, in a nod to Project Constant Peg's designation for the captured MiG-21 units flown by the 4477th Test and Evaluation Squadron (YF-110).

hitokirigarou wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:44 am Does the Neo Glaug have a battroid mode?
The unmanned model has no battroid mode, only fighter and GERWALK.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
yazi88

Oh yeah, I know the VF-25s were heavier caliber and a lot stronger overall as gunpods, I guess I should've added before 5th Gen that there weren't any heavy machine gun style caliber gunpods as optional weapons, closest thing to that I can think of is the beam adapter to the VF-17 Nightmare although that was a beam weapon and a single shot too.
Seto Kaiba

yazi88 wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:49 pm Oh yeah, I know the VF-25s were heavier caliber and a lot stronger overall as gunpods, I guess I should've added before 5th Gen that there weren't any heavy machine gun style caliber gunpods as optional weapons, closest thing to that I can think of is the beam adapter to the VF-17 Nightmare although that was a beam weapon and a single shot too.
Thus far, the largest caliber rotary gunpod deployed on a variable craft was the VA-3 Invader's 60mm gunpod.

(The largest caliber for a gunpod overall, I believe, still goes to the YF-27-5 Shahar ♀ at 75mm, unless you'd want to count the non-canon model kit conversion from the old Model Hobby Handbook that showed a VF-1 lugging around a RO-X2A beam cannon as a gunpod... that was a 2x180mm beam weapon.)

All in all, I suspect the reason the VF-11's Protect Armor pack was the first and the last time that such a huge rotary cannon was issued was, as Macross Chronicle's VF-11C mechanic sheets note, that it was beyond the ability of average pilots to wield effectively due to its excessive size. Great for attacking big, slow ships but pretty much useless for anything else.
The Macross Mecha Manual
yazi88

Yeah, such a heavy gun and large gun would be useless in a dogfight, being so unwieldy and hard to aim in fast combat.
krullnar

Question in regards to the YF-22 thought controller did that go anywhere or as it being from plus other then the design it was all scrapped.
ShadowCell - Mr. T doesn't read YouTube comments. Neither does Jesus. Or MacGuyver. Don't you want to be like Mr. T, Jesus, and MacGuyver?
Seto Kaiba

yazi88 wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:52 pm Yeah, such a heavy gun and large gun would be useless in a dogfight, being so unwieldy and hard to aim in fast combat.
Might make a good bludgeon if you could turn fast enough.

krullnar wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:50 am Question in regards to the YF-22 thought controller did that go anywhere or as it being from plus other then the design it was all scrapped.
The YF-21's Brain Direct Interface System was scrapped in its non-invasive form, and development was pursued in two alternate paths.
  1. General Galaxy developed a reduced-functionality version of the BDS for integration into the VF-22's mass production model. The BDS was relegated to a backup system that assisted the physical controls during high-g maneuvers, aided targeting, and could also operate the countermeasure dispensers. A derivative of this was also included in General Galaxy's Queadluun-Rhea battle suit as a similar backup control system.
    |
  2. As an alternate development path, General Galaxy pursued the full Brain Direct Interface System through more invasive and reliable means. Namely, cybernetics. Using cybernetic implants to directly interface the pilot's brain to the fighter's hardware, they were able to correct many of the defects in the original system's design like its inability to tell intent from imagination and its tendency to lose sync with the pilot's brain at moments of shock or surprise. The end result was a much more stable system... that was also many times more expensive, because it needed the pilot to undergo invasive cybernetic modification before he could actually USE the system, and cybernetics of many types were illegal in many parts of the galaxy until 2048. General Galaxy tested their new implant-based BDS on a custom VF-22 model designated VF-22HG Schwalbe Zwei, one of which was stolen by the anti-government group FASCES. Their flying lab, Macross Galaxy, put implant-based BDS technology into their YF-27 Shahar prototype and its production version, the VF-27 Lucifer.
The BDS may have also been the inspiration for one of EX-Gear's functions... using an electromyographic sensor net to monitor the motor impulses to the pilot's muscles as a method of refining inputs to the VF's joystick and throttle.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Phonix_1

Seto Kaiba wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:54 pm Well, we know the Protoculture later went back to Earth and maybe other worlds they'd modified the local life on to leave protections against other species repeating their mistakes. I have a theory the Windermereans were the Protoculture's attempt to make a species that would have the necessary empathy (via fold wave emotion sharing) to avoid repeating their mistakes.

Didn't work, but hey... at least they tried.
Protoculture tried so hard on provolving species on many planets, perhaps still doing this in the Cluster after the Empire and/or Republic were collapsed.
What drives them to do this?

If Protoculture really wanted to revive the civilization, provolving is not the best way, except they saw all these provolved species not just as testing species, but also as their biological successors, or there were so few Protoculture people left, provolving in later days was their last hope.
Seto Kaiba wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:54 pm He knew where the bomb was, you'd think that'd be a no-go zone... though I doubt anyone would've predicted the Windermereans would be sensitive enough to fold waves to pick up the resonance fold effect of the thermonuclear reaction warhead's trigger mechanism. (If they could sense that, one can only imagine how unpleasant feeling the dimensional warhead go off would've been...)
I think they could sense it, or at least the members of Royal family had that level of sensibility.
If they were not that sensitive, the King might be unable to order the crew raising the shield in time.

Windermereans seemed to have no intel about the nuke before detonation, also I don't think the King has any kind of precognition ability.
Seto Kaiba wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:54 pm A lot of it seems to be some kind of shady agenda that Lady M had... she went out of her way to obstruct the NUNS from evacuating Barette City and did a lot of other shady stuff like placing Mikumo in Walkure.

Problem is, she never appeared and never even got described in consistent terms, so we don't know what her deal is.
Nothing is more disappointing than Lady M never appeared in the show.
When Berger said Megaroad 01 at the second-last episode, I guessed Lady M might be somebody or a group of people from Megaroad 01 working under a common alias.

At the end, nothing happened.
Seto Kaiba

Phonix_1 wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:03 pm Protoculture tried so hard on provolving species on many planets, perhaps still doing this in the Cluster after the Empire and/or Republic were collapsed.
What drives them to do this?
According to the official chronology, the ancient Protoculture genetically modified lifeforms on many worlds as a way of producing intelligent life that would prepare the world for future colonization by the Protoculture. Later on, they seem to have had a change of heart after their civilization was in a state of collapse, and tried to set up protections so that their creations wouldn't repeat their mistakes... in the most dickish way possible, considering their plan was leaving a bio-technological weapons platform behind to murder everyone if humanity managed to achieve spaceflight before resolving all of its internal conflicts.

Phonix_1 wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:03 pm I think they could sense it, or at least the members of Royal family had that level of sensibility.
If they were not that sensitive, the King might be unable to order the crew raising the shield in time.
The royal family as a whole doesn't seem to have superior sensitivity to fold waves... just those rare individuals who are born with unnaturally high sensitivity who are enabled to be fold singers. Heinz was a rarity.

Phonix_1 wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:03 pm Nothing is more disappointing than Lady M never appeared in the show.
When Berger said Megaroad 01 at the second-last episode, I guessed Lady M might be somebody or a group of people from Megaroad 01 working under a common alias.

At the end, nothing happened.
That much was practically inevitable... the minute the writers mentioned the Megaroad-01, it was a given that Lady M would never appear. Kawamori has said that Megaroad-01 and its crew ARE NOT coming back, which instantly demoted Berger Stone's claims to a cheap lie. Annoyingly, a LOT of what he says is inaccurate... which makes it seem more like he's stringing the Xaos staff along instead of actually telling them the truth.
The Macross Mecha Manual
False Prophet

Say, how important is it for Valkyrie to have hands? I mean, except the rifles and the knives, there does not seem to be many choice when it comes to hand-held VF weapons. So why will they not go a step further an intergrated the guns directly to the forearms?

I ask this after reading a lot about Battletech (Google if you do not know) that has some mechs inspired by Macross. But these designs have evolved to the point that the guns have replaced the one of the hands or both.
Phonix_1

False Prophet wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:33 am Say, how important is it for Valkyrie to have hands? I mean, except the rifles and the knives, there does not seem to be many choice when it comes to hand-held VF weapons. So why will they not go a step further an intergrated the guns directly to the forearms?
Some VF have guns on their arms already, like VF-4, VF-22, VF-31 and SV-262, though they are not very powerful.
The primary weapons of VF are quite large, their sizes may be comparable to the arm-guns on Cheyenne II. This may limit the variation for transforming sequence, but this is Kawamori's concern.

VF having hands may perform better in close quarter combat, especially when boarding Zentradi ships or fighting in the interior of very large ship/installation.
In the novel version of Macross 30, SMS used YF-30 as a testing platform of Variable Super-Dimensional Diver, one of the reasons behind was that Battroid mode was more suitable to explore the Protoculture ruins protected by fold faults. With a pair of hands, exploration team could do some excavation before the heavy vehicles came in.
Seto Kaiba

False Prophet wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:33 am Say, how important is it for Valkyrie to have hands? I mean, except the rifles and the knives, there does not seem to be many choice when it comes to hand-held VF weapons. So why will they not go a step further an intergrated the guns directly to the forearms?
Initially, at least, Variable Fighters were designed with size constraints based on the estimated size of alien giants (the Zentradi) with an eye both towards hand-to-hand combat with alien infantry and moving around their ships or operating their military hardware. Having handheld weapons also made it easier to replenish armaments in the field, since gunpods were not equipped with detachable magazines initially and building those guns into the arms would result in prohibitively large arms.

(This is much the same reason that coaxial guns on the head are energy weapons... initially, the size constraints made installing machine guns with anti-ECA ammo impossible.)

Having handheld weapons now essentially just serves to offer more variety in potential armament, as well as the option to pick up and carry objects of value, rescued civilians, etc. Pinpoint barrier technology removed the key negative point of having hands, which was their mechanical fragility. Now they can resort to fisticuffs without worrying about wrecking the hands because the hands are wrapped in a field of immovable-object wronged spacetime and never actually make direct contact with the enemy (like a forcefield boxing glove).

False Prophet wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:33 am I ask this after reading a lot about Battletech (Google if you do not know) that has some mechs inspired by Macross. But these designs have evolved to the point that the guns have replaced the one of the hands or both.
... "inspired by" doesn't quite capture the truth of it.

The so-called "Unseen" in BattleTech and MechWarrior weren't based on Macross designs... they WERE Macross designs. BattleTech was a game built on copyright infringement.

Up until 1998, FASA was infringing upon the copyrights of mechanical designs from a number of anime titles including Crusher Joe, Fang of the Sun Dougram, and Super Dimension Fortress Macross. It started when the game was still in development and FASA decided to cut corners by using model kit box art from various anime kits instead of designing new robots on their own. They blew off a couple of cease and desist notices and finally got sued by Harmony Gold USA and their licensee Playmates for violating HG USA's exclusive merchandising rights to SDF Macross in the US. The case went to trial and FASA found out it was up sh*t creek with neither paddle nor canoe, and after a few failed attempts to get the case dismissed FASA opted to settle rather than wait for the inevitable ruling against them. The binding settlement FASA agreed to banned BattleTech from using secondhand designs, so those designs were removed and are now known as "The Unseen". (All in all, there were 29 designs that ended up removed or replaced.)

Every couple years, the owners of the franchise (now Catalyst Game Labs) get it into their heads that they found a way around the law and try to bring the Unseen back... only to get sued again, like they currently are.

IIRC, BattleTech was always more a setting where excessive amounts of firepower were key rather than versatility... and mobility was a lot lower.
The Macross Mecha Manual
krullnar

Seto Kaiba wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:28 pm
False Prophet wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:33 am I ask this after reading a lot about Battletech (Google if you do not know) that has some mechs inspired by Macross. But these designs have evolved to the point that the guns have replaced the one of the hands or both.
... "inspired by" doesn't quite capture the truth of it.

The so-called "Unseen" in BattleTech and MechWarrior weren't based on Macross designs... they WERE Macross designs. BattleTech was a game built on copyright infringement.

Up until 1998, FASA was infringing upon the copyrights of mechanical designs from a number of anime titles including Crusher Joe, Fang of the Sun Dougram, and Super Dimension Fortress Macross. It started when the game was still in development and FASA decided to cut corners by using model kit box art from various anime kits instead of designing new robots on their own. They blew off a couple of cease and desist notices and finally got sued by Harmony Gold USA and their licensee Playmates for violating HG USA's exclusive merchandising rights to SDF Macross in the US. The case went to trial and FASA found out it was up sh*t creek with neither paddle nor canoe, and after a few failed attempts to get the case dismissed FASA opted to settle rather than wait for the inevitable ruling against them. The binding settlement FASA agreed to banned BattleTech from using secondhand designs, so those designs were removed and are now known as "The Unseen". (All in all, there were 29 designs that ended up removed or replaced.)

Every couple years, the owners of the franchise (now Catalyst Game Labs) get it into their heads that they found a way around the law and try to bring the Unseen back... only to get sued again, like they currently are.

IIRC, BattleTech was always more a setting where excessive amounts of firepower were key rather than versatility... and mobility was a lot lower.
Oyi you know the irony being that battletechs best designs were there original ones not the poorly cribed ones from macross and other. I mean the stinger is just a lamer version of a VF-1S. That said the current case of HGU is about designs that were concepts nothing more. I would love to get into the discussion of HGU stranglehold on the macross rights and the implications therein but alas a different topic and one covered to death here on the board.
ShadowCell - Mr. T doesn't read YouTube comments. Neither does Jesus. Or MacGuyver. Don't you want to be like Mr. T, Jesus, and MacGuyver?
Henyo

here's a thought that came to mind: would Ace Combat's COFFIN system work with the VFs? i like to think that this could work if they limit it just to Fighter mode. But then a quick reading into the tech, its seems like you need to go the Brera route for the COFFIN to be useful.
MOOK: ITS A YURI FANBOY!
Seto Kaiba

krullnar wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:31 am Oyi you know the irony being that battletechs best designs were there original ones not the poorly cribed ones from macross and other.
Think that's kind of a subjective matter, really... but then I freely admit I never much cared for the original designs in BattleTech. The big clunky chickenwalkers don't really do it for me, and I think WH40K did better with the idea of a big, slow-moving war walker on a grand scale from a narrative perspective.

krullnar wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:31 am I mean the stinger is just a lamer version of a VF-1S. That said the current case of HGU is about designs that were concepts nothing more.
From the look of it, it's more a case of HG jumping the gun... when I reviewed their filing, I laughed myself sick because HG seems to have finally jumped the gun on this one since those concepts they're suing over look like they're based on Dougram.
The Macross Mecha Manual
krullnar

Seto Kaiba wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:37 am
krullnar wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:31 am I mean the stinger is just a lamer version of a VF-1S. That said the current case of HGU is about designs that were concepts nothing more.
From the look of it, it's more a case of HG jumping the gun... when I reviewed their filing, I laughed myself sick because HG seems to have finally jumped the gun on this one since those concepts they're suing over look like they're based on Dougram.
Yeah but this is not the first time the have done something like this.
Seto Kaiba

Henyo wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:18 am here's a thought that came to mind: would Ace Combat's COFFIN system work with the VFs? i like to think that this could work if they limit it just to Fighter mode. But then a quick reading into the tech, its seems like you need to go the Brera route for the COFFIN to be useful.
Unfortunately, I'm not very familiar with most of the original technologies in the Ace Combat series... I didn't get involved with that series until Assault Horizon.

Based on what I'm reading of the COnnection For Flight INterface system, it sounds like it's a system that uses a bio-fiber optic graft to connect the pilot's peripheral nervous system with the fighter's fly-by-wire system.

The Zentradi and Meltrandi in Macross: Do You Remember Love? have a similar system for controlling the Nousjadeul-Ger and Queadluun-Rau battle suits. The Zentradi use a bio-technological interface that connects the operator's nervous system to the battle suit's, while the Meltrandi have an inorganic version that ties into the bio-fiber optic nervous systems of their pilots via the optic nerve.

Humanity's first version was a non-contact non-invasive model that didn't work too well (see Macross Plus) and their later models went for a non-invasive or at semi-invasive wireless approach. Going "the Brera route" isn't a necessity of using a Brain Direct Interface system, at least not completely. Macross Galaxy was pushing the envelope and took the same approach the ancient Protoculture did when faced with a desire for high performance that pilots couldn't handle... build a better grade of pilot with more g-force resistance. Some test units were produced that were low-spec enough that the pilot only needed the BDS implant itself to operate them, like the stolen VF-22HG Schwalbe Zwei test unit that Angers 672 flew.

krullnar wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:04 pm Yeah but this is not the first time the have done something like this.
Granted, but this is the first time they've done it without clear-cut evidence of wrongdoing on the part of the owners of BattleTech. On all the previous occasions, they were in the right... now they've just gone off half-cocked.
The Macross Mecha Manual
krullnar

Uhh I just want HGU to go jump off a cliff for a list of offences longer than my arm.
False Prophet

The Kairos was intended to replace the Nightmare Plus entirely in the entire New U.N, right, or just the Macross fleets and the planets if they choose to? If the first is the case, then how expensive can a Kairos be, and how hard to learn using it? Because as I see it, the reason why the Nightmare Plus is still there in Delta is because the Messiah is too expensive, too hard to fly, and for places not expecting war, an entirely wasteful invesment.

(And how many percentage dropped in performance between the Durandal and the Kairos anyway?)

And anyone here know why did they choose the name New Unified Government anyway? I means, is it just me only, or does the New sounded superfluous?