The MAHQ Grand Burkean Reorganization Project

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
AmuroNT1

Re: The MAHQ Grand Burkean Reorganization Project

I'd like to suggest a little alteration to the profiles, if I may. At the moment, I feel kind of like the current format for weapons listings is a little cluttered. If it's feasible, I'd suggest turning the weapons listings into a bulleted list so it's a little easier to read.

As an example, here's the current listing for the RX-78-2 Gundam:
Fixed armaments: 2 x 60mm vulcan gun, fire-linked, mounted in head; 2 x beam saber, power rated at 0.38 MW, stored in recharge racks in backpack, hand-carried in use
Optional hand armaments: BOWA·XBR-M-79-07G beam rifle, powered by rechargeable energy cap; BLASH·XHB-L-03/N-STD 380mm hyper bazooka, clip-fed, 5 rounds per clip plus 1 round in chamber; beam javelin; hyper hammer; Gundam hammer; RX·M-Sh-008/S-01025 shield, can be optionally stored on backpack
And what I'm suggesting:
  • Fixed armaments:
  • 2 x 60mm vulcan gun, fire-linked, mounted in head
  • 2 x beam saber, power rated at 0.38 MW, stored in recharge racks in backpack, hand-carried in use
  • Optional hand armaments:
  • BOWA·XBR-M-79-07G beam rifle, powered by rechargeable energy cap, can mount 4-tube super napalm launcher
  • BLASH·XHB-L-03/N-STD 380mm hyper bazooka, clip-fed, 5 rounds per clip plus 1 round in chamber
  • beam javelin
  • Gundam hammer
  • hyper hammer
  • RX·M-Sh-008/S-01025 shield, can be optionally stored on backpack
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
balofo

I suggest having individual weapon descriptions like jp wiki and gundam wikia. Along with specs and MS history as separate paragraphs.

If mahq adopts this style I'll write profiles for 00 and all the series onward.

I also suggest back views if they are available in color, and higher resolution for profile pics and other B/W linearts. We have access to HQ stuff, why make it so small?
Kuruni

I suggest having individual weapon descriptions like jp wiki and gundam wikia. Along with specs and MS history as separate paragraphs.
No objection for the second, but I disagree with the first. One facepalm induce element of Gundam Wiki is how they repeat same stuff on mundane weapon on so many article. JA Wikipedia handle it better by have general articles on such weapons (or its real-life counterpart, in case of vulcan gun) and only note the holding location and other unusual info. But I doubt that the same method would work here.
We have access to HQ stuff, why make it so small?
I actually think MAHQ 400 px is good enough in most case. Just enough to see notable detail, and small enough to load fast. I only don't like it when the mech in question has really wide wings (like Sid or Keiser Ephes) and make the detail obscure. If anything, I think expanding width limit to keep minimum height on such mech is better idea.
My girlfriend was a loli.
Chris
Administrator

Kuruni wrote:I only don't like it when the mech in question has really wide wings (like Sid or Keiser Ephes) and make the detail obscure. If anything, I think expanding width limit to keep minimum height on such mech is better idea.
Absolutely not possible. I don't know how much you know about web design, but everything on the site is contained in tables. There is no way to expand the width without wrecking the page layout.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
ShadowCell

perhaps you could link those images to a larger version, and have the 400px version act as sort of a thumbnail? then you wouldn't have to link to larger versions of images for every single mecha, just the ones that get squashed down by the table widths. deciding which images get linked to a larger one would probably be pretty subjective, though.
Strike Zero

Still, I agree that it can be a bit frustrating when the size of a unit combined with the 400 x 400 image resolution results in details being hard to make out. Perhaps in these profiles, higher resolution lineart can be linked to on the bottom of the page?

Edit: (wow, ninja'd by about ten minutes. Damn this smartphone and its impossible-to-use keyboard!)
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.