Interest Check

Shop talk for any of the RPGs currently running on the forum.

Moderators: Fritz Ashlyn, Heretic, mcred23, Cardi Doorl, Wedge14

What Gundam Roleplay would you want to see made and run?

Poll ended at Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:10 am

Mobile Suit Gundam- One Year War Roleplay
10%
Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam- Gryps Conflict Roleplay
No votes
ZZ Gundam- Neo Zeon War Roleplay
10%
Char's Counter Attack- Second Neo Zeon War Roleplay
No votes
Unicorn Gundam- Laplace Conflict Roleplay
No votes
Gundam F91- Cosmo Babylon War Roleplay
40%
Victory Gundam- Zanscare War Roleplay
10%
Something else...
30%

Total votes: 10

Crosswire40
Lackey GM Pilot

Interest Check

Post by Crosswire40 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:10 am

Edit: After re-reading the rules I realized I should have posted this in Discussion, I apologize if this broke any rules :C

My name is Crosswire and I desperately want to participate in a Gundam roleplay of some kind. I have tried for years to find or run a Gundam roleplay of my own and nothing I've found or made has been remotely satisfying. Sometimes it was from the role play dying from a lack of interest, others it was my own failings and inexperience as a moderator, and sometimes it was just bad players and bad luck.

I've grown a lot as a writer, moderator, and player, and I still hunger for an action packed, intense, and literate Gundam role play.

I came here and saw the wonderful, almost intimidatingly beautiful Zeta Gundam roleplay that had been running here at one time. From the looks of it and the forum, it's mostly stopped or the individuals involved have moved it to somewhere else. While it saddens me that the game isn't really joinable, I hope that there's still enough people here to put together another roleplay.

So this is just an interest check and a call to all those interested. Who would like to participate in a Gundam Roleplay?

Please post below and give me your thoughts if you're interested.
Last edited by Crosswire40 on Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dark Duel
Determined Shonen Hero

Re: Interest Check

Post by Dark Duel » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:49 am

I'd definitely be interested; most particularly in a F91-era RP; Actually, I'd been pondering putting one together myself, and would've posted just such a thread as this - you just beat me to the punch, it looks like :P
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS
// GUNPLA THREAD //

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."

Crosswire40
Lackey GM Pilot

Post by Crosswire40 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:00 am

Dark Duel wrote:I'd definitely be interested; most particularly in a F91-era RP; Actually, I'd been pondering putting one together myself, and would've posted just such a thread as this - you just beat me to the punch, it looks like :P
Glad to see someone's interested in Late UC stuff too! An F91 Roleplay would be pretty cool since the Cosmo Babylon war had a lot of cool units and lesser known variations. We could probably bring in F90 and Silhouette Gundam related units too if we fudge things a little.

Though personally I'd love to run a Victory Gundam roleplay. The Zanscare War is so unexplored with the conflict between the better armed and organized Zanscare forces and the AEUG like League Militaire allied with the disorganized and outdated Earth Federation forces could lead to some interesting fights and scenarios. Plus the war was pretty crazy and would allow characters from many walks of life.

Plus the League and Zanscare units are awesome!

Really though I'd be willing to run or join ether or. I've got a fever and the only cure is more Gundam!

ChaoticSheep1
AEUG Slapping Boy

Post by ChaoticSheep1 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:40 am

I actually haven't participated in something like this before and I am kind of shy. But I might be interested.
A F91 or Victory would be really cool. I think that ZZ and CCA have alot of space for a game to take place in as well.

Actually I was thinking of starting one of my own campaign's although I have been hesitant to start my own since I had reservation's about my ability to make it engaging and interesting. It was going to either take place in Zeta or in Victory.

Victory does have alot of room to expand on. We have all sorts of possible factions (Colony Militia's etc).

Crosswire40
Lackey GM Pilot

Post by Crosswire40 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:15 am

ChaoticSheep1 wrote:I actually haven't participated in something like this before and I am kind of shy. But I might be interested.
A F91 or Victory would be really cool. I think that ZZ and CCA have alot of space for a game to take place in as well.

Actually I was thinking of starting one of my own campaign's although I have been hesitant to start my own since I had reservation's about my ability to make it engaging and interesting. It was going to either take place in Zeta or in Victory.

Victory does have alot of room to expand on. We have all sorts of possible factions (Colony Militia's etc).
That's great to hear! It's interesting that you and Dark were both thinking of starting a Gundam roleplay, I guess I'm not the one one who's been hungry for some Gundam related roleplaying. As for ZZ, I completely agree, the Neo Zeon war was a pretty interesting time and there's a ton of possible suits and unit variations that could be available.

Personally I'm settling on Victory Gundam, but I'm waiting to hear back from Dark before I really decide. I'd also like your input as well since you've shown potential interest. I hope we can get at least a handful of players, otherwise the inactivity might end it before it begins.

Also I definitely feel you Chaotic, I feel uncertain about my own writing abilities at times as well. However if you live your life constantly in fear of failure you'll stop yourself from doing something great.

ChaoticSheep1
AEUG Slapping Boy

Post by ChaoticSheep1 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:44 am

I was also thinking of starting one with a few friends. Unfortunately, most of my friends really don't like Gundam. Which I was debating on having taken place during 0079 or Zeta and then into ZZ.

I feel that you really need the events of Zeta to really get into ZZ. I always thought that it would be very interesting for the remaining Titans and AEUG to decide what to do after having their retrospective factions gutted. Take your chances with the EF? Go with the Axis forces? Very Interesting.

But yeah the Zanscare Wars are pretty cool. You pretty much have most of the Earth Sphere, all of Mars to basically make up a story to run. The battles are probably going to be very interesting especially with how the Zanscare's enemies really have to fight creatively and smart to beat them. Guerilla tactics and all that jazz.

I personally had an idea or two for a Victory story (One them I might catch up on). I'd be down for Victory campaign honestly. I guess I will keep an eye on this to see how this goes.

Crosswire40
Lackey GM Pilot

Post by Crosswire40 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:51 am

ChaoticSheep1 wrote:I was also thinking of starting one with a few friends. Unfortunately, most of my friends really don't like Gundam. Which I was debating on having taken place during 0079 or Zeta and then into ZZ.

I feel that you really need the events of Zeta to really get into ZZ. I always thought that it would be very interesting for the remaining Titans and AEUG to decide what to do after having their retrospective factions gutted. Take your chances with the EF? Go with the Axis forces? Very Interesting.
I feel your pain, most of the people I know aren't into Gundam. Also I agree, a ZZ RP would need to have some kind of transition from the *hit storm that was the Gryps Conflict for the Neo Zeon War to really have the impact. The AEUG was basically gone, the Titans were done for, and Axis was just steam rolling through the wrecked and worn out Federation.
ChaoticSheep1 wrote: But yeah the Zanscare Wars are pretty cool. You pretty much have most of the Earth Sphere, all of Mars to basically make up a story to run. The battles are probably going to be very interesting especially with how the Zanscare's enemies really have to fight creatively and smart to beat them. Guerilla tactics and all that jazz.

I personally had an idea or two for a Victory story (One them I might catch up on). I'd be down for Victory campaign honestly. I guess I will keep an eye on this to see how this goes.
Well my idea was this:

The Year is 0152 of the Universal Century and the Earth Sphere is in peril. The Zanscare Empire has been expanding and fighting to lay claim to the Sides ever since their nation's founding in U.C 0149. Despite the obvious threat the Earth Federation has not intervened, leaving the undermanned League Militaire to continue their efforts alone.

Then, on October 1st (roughly six months before the events of the show), the Zanscare Empire launches a surprise invasion, landing troops in Europe, Africa, and Asia. Our story begins in India where the Zanscare 3rd Terrestrial Invasion “Platinum Vespids” Taskforce lands and begins laying siege to the surrounding Federation bases.

The Zanscare Military is well equipped and with the element of surprise the poorly equipped Federation and the undermanned League are soon on the run, forced to join up with one another to begin their desperate struggle against the seemingly overwhelming force of the Zanscare Empire.

So the initial focus will be in India with characters ether being members of the Zanscare Empire, the League Militaire, the Earth Federation, or someone from one of the groups supporting them (SNRI, BESPA, Anaheim, Jupiter Empire, est).

At the start characters will be assigned suits if they're pilots and the suits available starting off will be fairly limited, but will have a chance at getting better units and extensively customizing their own units as the roleplay goes on (provided they live that long) and we eventually move from India to another unexplored area of the war.

Depending on how many players we get, we'll probably lump the Federation characters and the League together. Both for the sake of encouraging interaction and the fact that the Earth Federation doesn't get officially involved for at least another couple of months.

ChaoticSheep1
AEUG Slapping Boy

Post by ChaoticSheep1 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:13 am

Sounds cool. Can't wait.

Dark Duel
Determined Shonen Hero

Post by Dark Duel » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:29 pm

On the F91 side, here's roughly what I was thinking: I didn't actually want to do much of anything with the canon cast of the F91 movie per se. So my idea was a RP set in parallel on one of the other Side 4/Frontier colonies. I had two ideas:
IDEA 1: A side-story, pretty much. The setting is Frontier II, roughly at the same time as the events on Frontier IV and I during the movie. Basically, S.N.R.I. and the Earth Federation Forces' Thirteenth Autonomous Corps are stationed at Frontier II conducting development of the Formula series, when Frontier II is attacked by the Crossbone Vanguard's Dark Tiger Squadron. And then we continue from there.

IDEA 2: A direct follow-up to the series, with original and canon characters, focusing on the Cosmo Babylonia Civil War. The primary parties would be the Black Vanguard Squadron, who follow Berah Ronah on the one hand.
On the other hand, the supporters of Iron Mask, led by the Dark Tiger Squadron, would be their opponents. Eventually, SNRI would get involved on the side of the former.

These are at this stage just rough ideas, not too fleshed out. Either of these sound fun? Personally, I kinda lean towards the latter :P
Of course, I am biased as F91 is one of my favorites and I know very little of V. That said, if y'all would prefer to go with a V-era RP, I can get behind that too.
// GUNPLA THREAD //

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."

Crosswire40
Lackey GM Pilot

Post by Crosswire40 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:49 am

Dark Duel wrote:On the F91 side, here's roughly what I was thinking: I didn't actually want to do much of anything with the canon cast of the F91 movie per se. So my idea was a RP set in parallel on one of the other Side 4/Frontier colonies. I had two ideas:
IDEA 1: A side-story, pretty much. The setting is Frontier II, roughly at the same time as the events on Frontier IV and I during the movie. Basically, S.N.R.I. and the Earth Federation Forces' Thirteenth Autonomous Corps are stationed at Frontier II conducting development of the Formula series, when Frontier II is attacked by the Crossbone Vanguard's Dark Tiger Squadron. And then we continue from there.

IDEA 2: A direct follow-up to the series, with original and canon characters, focusing on the Cosmo Babylonia Civil War. The primary parties would be the Black Vanguard Squadron, who follow Berah Ronah on the one hand.
On the other hand, the supporters of Iron Mask, led by the Dark Tiger Squadron, would be their opponents. Eventually, SNRI would get involved on the side of the former.

These are at this stage just rough ideas, not too fleshed out. Either of these sound fun? Personally, I kinda lean towards the latter :P
Of course, I am biased as F91 is one of my favorites and I know very little of V. That said, if y'all would prefer to go with a V-era RP, I can get behind that too.

I like the first idea the most. Federation Forces verses Crossbone Vanguard would allow for more diversity and a more interesting character split then the Civil War. Besides if we go that route we could always fudge canon a little to extend the war and prevent the Civil War from happening as soon as it did.

I'm still in support of a Victory RP because:

#1: The Sides are clearly defined.

#2: Most of the units that show up in F90 and F91 could show up in the Victory Gundam RP save for the Jagans (The Federation military is made up of old units after all).

#3: The war is longer and has action going on both in space and on Earth.

#4: We could always use canon characters from the likes of F90, F91, and Crossbone Gundam.

But I will admit a Gundam F91 roleplay would be pretty sweet, and we could always do a Victory Gundam roleplay afterwards and connect it together with the events of our roleplay. If we do the Victory RP first it won't be as fun to go back and do F91, so let's try to refine the first idea and see what we can come up with!

Also the Civil War could work if we could get some Feds involved somehow...

Are you familiar with the Gundam F91: Formula Wars 0122 game? We should add that to the canon list to spice things up a bit.

mcred23
Traitor Villain

Post by mcred23 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:30 pm

For what it's worth, I'm still alive and willing to participate in any way I can with helping flesh out ideas or organizing and all that sorta stuff. Plus all that moderator crap I can do. 8)

Just some random comments on what's been suggested so far...
Dark Duel wrote:On the F91 side, here's roughly what I was thinking: I didn't actually want to do much of anything with the canon cast of the F91 movie per se. So my idea was a RP set in parallel on one of the other Side 4/Frontier colonies. I had two ideas:

We actually tried something of a combo of both those ideas about a decade ago (Holy hell I'm feeling old :P). Idea 1, the rest of the action at Frontier, is pretty cool if we wanted to do something smaller in scale, since officially the fighting there lasted less than a week. Doing stuff about the Cosmo Babylonia Civil War could also be pretty awesome, since we could pretty much go in whatever directions we wanted for a lot of the details. Having that kind of freedom is nice. :)

Of course, I'm also a sucker for Victory, which is probably my favorite show. It also gives one a ton of options for interesting ideas, which naturally would expand depending on how fast and loose you want to play with background info and whatnot...

So really, I'll let you guys figure out what setting you'd all want to give it a go at...
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')

ChaoticSheep1
AEUG Slapping Boy

Post by ChaoticSheep1 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:41 am

Welcome aboard Red.

If it's set in India (in your current story draft) does that mean that it's just in India or will we move move around as the war progresses?

Also, I like that F91 side story idea that combines them both. I don't know if I would like to retread someone elses idea if its already been done, but that does sound really cool. I really want to ask what faction people will be, but I dont want to ruin the fun of finding out who's who and it's way too early.

Crosswire40
Lackey GM Pilot

Post by Crosswire40 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:32 am

ChaoticSheep1 wrote:
If it's set in India (in your current story draft) does that mean that it's just in India or will we move move around as the war progresses?
Oh no we'd move around, the League would practically have to do so to avoid being flattened and Zanscare troops would be getting moved around to different fronts to assist since manpower was spread pretty thinly. The Zanscare troops would ether be deliberately tasked with hunting the player's League group down specifically, or just keep coincidentally winding up in the same area as them and clashing.

I just figured plopping us in India would be a great start since it's got interesting terrain and Africa (another Zanscare Invasion location) is practically right next door to us. We'd probably move around to different places on Earth for a while, then head into space, then go back to Earth to deal with the likes of Operation Giant Roller, and then probably go back up into space for the Big Battle at the Angel Halo. Or maybe we could have our own final battle somewhere else, like trying to stop Zanscare from taking over the nearly forgotten Gryps 2 laser or something along those lines.
mcred23 wrote:Idea 1, the rest of the action at Frontier, is pretty cool if we wanted to do something smaller in scale, since officially the fighting there lasted less than a week. Doing stuff about the Cosmo Babylonia Civil War could also be pretty awesome, since we could pretty much go in whatever directions we wanted for a lot of the details. Having that kind of freedom is nice.
Woah, McRed! I've seen you on a bunch of awesome stuff here. It's wonderful to hear your thoughts on things! :o

Both ideas could work really. If we go Frontier we could go very short and sweet since like you said the fighting lasted less then a week. And if we go for the Cosmo Babylonia Civil War we'd have a conflict with a tremendous amount of freedom in terms of events. Ether or could work, just a matter of how we approach it.
mcred23 wrote:Of course, I'm also a sucker for Victory, which is probably my favorite show. It also gives one a ton of options for interesting ideas, which naturally would expand depending on how fast and loose you want to play with background info and whatnot...
It's great to meet another fan of Victory! Really I'd love to do Victory the most, I already have a ton of ideas and stuff written down for it in a Google document. And we could play pretty loose with the background info since a lot of it is pretty vague :D

Dark Duel
Determined Shonen Hero

Post by Dark Duel » Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:32 am

I've been pondering something. According to what I've been able to glean, the "Zanscare Empire" is Side 2, which is located at Lagrange Point 4 (L-4). In order to be able to more effectively invade Earth, I would imagine that the Zanscare Empire would make a move against other colonies first, right?
Of particular strategic importance is L-1, which I think is substantially closer to Earth than L-4, making it a better staging point for an invasion of Earth.
Now, Side 4/Frontier, IIRC, is located at L-1.

So let's say for instance that we have a Federation unit stationed on the Frontier Side at L-1, still using F91-era mobile suits, when the Zanscare Empire uses their ships and mobile suits to launch an attack on colonies Side 4/Frontier.
The Federation is decimated and forced to retreat, and the colonies are captured.
Zanscare then uses Frontier/Side 4 as a staging point for their innovation, and what remains of that unit is then sent to Earth shortly prior to the invasion taking place.
We could RP that out, or include it as part of the backstory for the RP.

I'm just spitballing ideas, here
Last edited by Dark Duel on Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
// GUNPLA THREAD //

ChaoticSheep1
AEUG Slapping Boy

Post by ChaoticSheep1 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:08 am

Pretty sure during Victory the Federation manages to hold onto Side 1 under a siege for basically the entire show I think. Whatever Side Macedonia is in is clearly not under the control of the Zanscare, although that might have changed after they attacked the colony. (Maybe we can get dispatched to assist them or something).

I wonder if Side 3 or the Moon are under their control? Man it would help if there was a map that clearly defined both sides spheres of influence. Also are Shoal zones still around in the Victory era? It would be a perfect environment for the League to conduct Guerilla warfare in space and for the Federation to hide out if they need to.

Dark Duel
Determined Shonen Hero

Post by Dark Duel » Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:59 am

Yeah. What makes it even more confusing is that the Side numbers and the Lagrange Points where they are located don't correspond, either.

IIRC, according to what I’ve found Side 1 and 6 are at L-1, Side 2(the home of the Zanscare Empire) and Side 5 are at L-4, Side 3 is at L-5, Side 4/Frontier at L-1, and Side 7 is at L-3.
Odds are, the first place Zanscare would have attacked/captured is Side 5, due to its proximity - but again, I’m spitballing based on what info I’ve been able to find on the location of the Colonies post-UC100.
My guess is they next would have attacked Side 4/Frontier Side (L-1).

As for the various Shoal Zones, I don’t know. It’s not entirely impossible that they would still be in place in some variety, but I for one don’t know where any of them are. But yeah, guerrilla warfare from the shoal zones in space could be interesting.
With regards to the Moon, no idea. It is possible that the Moon would have been attacked and left in a sort of besieged position similar to what you mentioned was the case for Side 1, especially if the Moon is heavily garrisoned. I just don’t know.
Man, I need to actually watch V.
// GUNPLA THREAD //

ChaoticSheep1
AEUG Slapping Boy

Post by ChaoticSheep1 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:08 am

Pretty sure the Zanscare If I remember from Victory has at least several or all of the cities occupied but I think the League has several secret bases on the moon that might have been ex-Anahiem facilities. So probably under Zanscare control or at least blockaded to stop trade to Federation controlled territory.

I bet Konpeitoh would still have plenty of debris around it, plenty of cover for forces to defend it. The Frontier colonies did not have debris near them during F91 so that giant shoal zone from the battle of Loum has probably been cleared. Although the destruction of the Gate of Zedan near Side 7 would probably have created a shoal zone near there although it has been a very long time.

Mars Zeon might have decided to get involved too and the new Crossbone Ghost has shown that Jupiter PMC's and rogue Imperialist troops have decided to get involved.

ZGMF-X28A Nu-Liberty
Pilot's Doomed Girlfriend

Post by ZGMF-X28A Nu-Liberty » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:20 pm

I'm admittedly a sucker for any Gundam RPG set in the Universal Century timeline. A specific starting point doesn't matter much to me, long as the concept is good. However, I do have two particular preferences I'd like to toss out there for the sake of argument:

> A One Year War setting, but instead of using the TV series timeline as our backbone, we establish a continuity blending together favorable elements of the compilation film trilogy, Tomino's novel trilogy and Yas' Origin manga, shakes things up a bit and gives us more to play with

> A side-story set either between the end of the One Year War and the start of the Gryps Conflict or the end of the First Neo Zeon War and the start of the Second Neo Zeon War, similar to 0083 in terms of scope and structure but competently executed and rather than leading directly into a greater conflict merely hints that there is trouble on the horizon

Aside from those, I wouldn't mind a greater exploration/expansion on the state of affairs of the world of F91 or Victory.
"That's the problem with plutonium, Craven; it's limited in its application. It's not user-friendly. But as a vehicle for regaining one's self-respect; oh, it's got a lot going for it!"
- Darius Jedburgh, Edge of Darkness, Episode 6, Fusion

ChaoticSheep1
AEUG Slapping Boy

Post by ChaoticSheep1 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:32 pm

If we are spit balling ideas now then how about the Gihrens Greed scenario of Char starting his Neo Zeon during the stalled OYW, that would be cool.

Casval basically takes his Newtype squad most of the old Deikun supporters to Granada making Kycilia's worst fears come true. Char's forces are eventually bolstered by the defection of the White Base and a couple of other Pegasus ships (At least this is the story in my copy of Menace of Axis V) and Char gets the parts for the RX-78 Char Custom.

I don't remember if Garma or Kycillia end up joining him, but they could have.

Or the scenario where Zeon manages to hold out against the Federation and a stalemate occured during the OYW which allowed a Truce between the the two factions. After this a Cold War and an arms race occurs and eventually Jamitov's Titans and Blexes AEUG rise up and a three way war begins.

Also for some reason or another Axis returns as well to give reinforcements to Zeon and eventually rebel if I remember correctly when Hamans father dies.

We could explore one of the other colonies of the Federation. Perhaps a colony in the asteroid belt that has to deal with Zeon Remnants. Or a moon around Mars where Zeon Remnants are fighting the local EFSF garrison or something. There's also Saturn and Mercury.

One of my ideas was having the Argama repaired and sent on a mission to deal with a band of Zeon forces raiding the trade route between Earth and Jupiter and run into a whole ton of trouble.

ChaoticSheep1
AEUG Slapping Boy

Post by ChaoticSheep1 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:35 pm

ZGMF-X28A Nu-Liberty wrote:
> A One Year War setting, but instead of using the TV series timeline as our backbone, we establish a continuity blending together favorable elements of the compilation film trilogy, Tomino's novel trilogy and Yas' Origin manga, shakes things up a bit and gives us more to play with

> A side-story set either between the end of the One Year War and the start of the Gryps Conflict or the end of the First Neo Zeon War and the start of the Second Neo Zeon War, similar to 0083 in terms of scope and structure but competently executed and rather than leading directly into a greater conflict merely hints that there is trouble on the horizon
I like both of those but I really feel like the 2nd option more. Nice ideas.