Interest Check

Shop talk for any of the RPGs currently running on the forum.

Moderators: Fritz Ashlyn, Heretic, mcred23, Cardi Doorl, Wedge14

What Gundam Roleplay would you want to see made and run?

Poll ended at Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:10 am

Mobile Suit Gundam- One Year War Roleplay
10%
Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam- Gryps Conflict Roleplay
No votes
ZZ Gundam- Neo Zeon War Roleplay
10%
Char's Counter Attack- Second Neo Zeon War Roleplay
No votes
Unicorn Gundam- Laplace Conflict Roleplay
No votes
Gundam F91- Cosmo Babylon War Roleplay
40%
Victory Gundam- Zanscare War Roleplay
10%
Something else...
30%

Total votes: 10

ChaoticSheep1
AEUG Slapping Boy

Re: Interest Check

Post by ChaoticSheep1 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:38 am

Crosswire40 wrote:
ChaoticSheep1 wrote: Fair enough. I was also under the impression that the mass production units were alot weaker than the original unit so I suppose that along the course of the campaign perhaps Anahiem or SNRI could send some parts that bring them up to full power.
There was no indication that the limited production models of the F-91 were in anyway inferior to the original. They seemed to have the same performance as the original did when they showed up in Crossbone Gundam.
I swore that when I read Steel 7 that they gave it newer parts and upgraded it to perform at the level in which the prototype did. Here's a quote about the translated description of Harrison Martins Limited Production F91 from an older thread.
Balofo wrote:
F91 (Decisive Jupiter Battle Version)

One of the F91 units created in limited mass production after the war against Cosmo Babylonia. (Later referred to as the CV). This was Lt. Harison’s second unit and it's been colored blue, his signature color. (The first unit was destroyed in the battle against Kinkedo). When it was decided to be deployed it in the decisive battle, some functions which had been removed during the mass production phase, which at the time seemed unnecessary, were restored. Therefore, its performance came close to that of the original prototype, where cost wasn’t an issue.
The unit lacks a Bio-Computer still and due to the time constraint I bet they couldnt fully refit the machine as much as they wanted to.
ChaoticSheep1 wrote: Also another thing bugging me. For NT pilots I assume the process for getting a psycommu installed would be to ask and then the system would be installed according to if one is available plot wise to them (assuming things like they arent behind enemy lines et)?

I don't even remember the Federation or AE having access to psycommu systems small enough for miniaturized suits so I guess we'll just go along and say that they do?
While I want Newtypes in the stories, Psycommu systems are a WHOLE other story. Zanscare has them since they seem to have actually pursued research into Newtypes or at the very least gotten a hold of data relating to them. Meanwhile the Federation gives Jack and S*hit about Newtypes like they always have, so they just flat out haven't bothered with it.

Anaheim has butt loads of data regarding old mobile suits. I bet they could make a Psycommu system, but there's no demand for them and neither the Federation or the League have shown any interest in Newtypes what so ever.[/quote]

Fair enough. However the League does seem to operate in isolated cells, since to even organise a major attack they had to find the leader of their entire movement. Doesn't mean another cell with powerful connections wouldn't find interest there. But I have to admit that doesn't seem very likely so I will have to settle with what I have. Guess when the League goes up against Cyber NT's and Regular NT's they are going to have to rely even more heavily on cleverness and tactics to stand up. :)

Crosswire40
Lackey GM Pilot

Post by Crosswire40 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:08 pm

ChaoticSheep1 wrote:
I swore that when I read Steel 7 that they gave it newer parts and upgraded it to perform at the level in which the prototype did. Here's a quote about the translated description of Harrison Martins Limited Production F91 from an older thread.
Balofo wrote:
F91 (Decisive Jupiter Battle Version)

One of the F91 units created in limited mass production after the war against Cosmo Babylonia. (Later referred to as the CV). This was Lt. Harison’s second unit and it's been colored blue, his signature color. (The first unit was destroyed in the battle against Kinkedo). When it was decided to be deployed it in the decisive battle, some functions which had been removed during the mass production phase, which at the time seemed unnecessary, were restored. Therefore, its performance came close to that of the original prototype, where cost wasn’t an issue.
ChaoticSheep1 wrote:
Fair enough. However the League does seem to operate in isolated cells, since to even organise a major attack they had to find the leader of their entire movement. Doesn't mean another cell with powerful connections wouldn't find interest there. But I have to admit that doesn't seem very likely so I will have to settle with what I have. Guess when the League goes up against Cyber NT's and Regular NT's they are going to have to rely even more heavily on cleverness and tactics to stand up. :)
Even if the Limited Production F-91's aren't identical in performance to the original, they were still high performance enough to challenge, harass, and clash with the Crossbone Gundams. So they're still excellent machines and probably easier to repair then their predecessor because they utilize more standardized parts.

You're right about the League to a degree. They operate autonomously from one another for the most part and there's not a tremendous amount of communication between them. So each cell kind of does what they think is best unless they're given direct orders of some kind from their mysterious leader, and that's a very rare event.

So yeah Newtypes may be a thing to a very limited degree, but Psycommu weapons aren't exactly going to just be given to people.

SNT1
Traitor Villain

Post by SNT1 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:15 am

A decade ago (holy moly I am a damn geezer) when I was still newbing around I joined a wing RPG that had a great premise but then somehow got wiped out of the message boards. I would very much like another Wing RPG to restart my interest.

Also, IBO RPG, even if it may be too soon for that. I like the idea of PMC vs PMC duking it out with Gjallahorn as a 3rd party, and the mecha is very welcome to open customization within reasonable limits.

F91-era RPG will limit interest to basically the 3 or 4 people here talking about it.

So I choose "other"
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/

Crosswire40
Lackey GM Pilot

Post by Crosswire40 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:12 pm

SNT1 wrote:A decade ago (holy moly I am a damn geezer) when I was still newbing around I joined a wing RPG that had a great premise but then somehow got wiped out of the message boards. I would very much like another Wing RPG to restart my interest.

Also, IBO RPG, even if it may be too soon for that. I like the idea of PMC vs PMC duking it out with Gjallahorn as a 3rd party, and the mecha is very welcome to open customization within reasonable limits.

F91-era RPG will limit interest to basically the 3 or 4 people here talking about it.

So I choose "other"
A Gundam Wing RP wouldn't work very well for a roleplay setting. The tech of the After Colony Century was never really elaborated on and the mobile suits are ether over powered or completely lackluster in terms of performance. An Iron Blood Orphans Roleplay would be pretty interesting and probably be the most accessible option, but like you said it's way too soon to kickstart one of those.

However you do have a point about the F91/Victory Gundam roleplay. It's somewhat niche and even if set up there's a chance we simply might not get enough players needed to actually run the roleplay.

Cardi Doorl
Traitor Villain

Post by Cardi Doorl » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:52 pm

Knowledge of the game's setting doesn't necessarily prevent people from joining; plenty of people join RPGs for full-on universes they know nothing about :)

It can even engender interest in a setting, actually; my first message board RPGs were set in the Universal Century despite my not having access to any of those series (some people forget how hard it was to get Gundam stuff that wasn't Gundam W in the US 16 years ago). Blindly joining an MBRPG was basically my introduction to UC lol.

Although it helped that this gaming format was booming back then haha. But my point is not to get too hung up on the negatives and think in terms of possibilities.

I agree the IBO setting, with its small-scale combat between unique PMCs, could be a good setting for a tightly-focused story or game. Set it before the series starts, so the game itself doesn't have to worry about any changes to the geopolitical world order introduced in the series. Set it in one of the regions between Earth and Mars that Gjallarhorn doesn't truly control and set up a good reason that PMCs and pirate groups might clash with and pursue each other. The setting really does have the ingredients for something interesting and small-scale.
RPG TRINARY: Gaia
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: Cardi Doorl

Make sure to check out the RPG section!

Crosswire40
Lackey GM Pilot

Post by Crosswire40 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:34 pm

Cardi Doorl wrote:Knowledge of the game's setting doesn't necessarily prevent people from joining; plenty of people join RPGs for full-on universes they know nothing about :)

It can even engender interest in a setting, actually; my first message board RPGs were set in the Universal Century despite my not having access to any of those series (some people forget how hard it was to get Gundam stuff that wasn't Gundam W in the US 16 years ago). Blindly joining an MBRPG was basically my introduction to UC lol.

Although it helped that this gaming format was booming back then haha. But my point is not to get too hung up on the negatives and think in terms of possibilities.
That's a good point. I was really excited over the idea of a Victory Gundam Roleplay here, but then I started to worry over having to run it and managing the plot. There's a lot to explore with Victory and a ton of awesome units to play with, but the whole thing just felt incredibly intimidating. Plus I got cold feet because the end of the war is already known so technically everything done during the RP would be meaningless...
Cardi Doorl wrote: I agree the IBO setting, with its small-scale combat between unique PMCs, could be a good setting for a tightly-focused story or game. Set it before the series starts, so the game itself doesn't have to worry about any changes to the geopolitical world order introduced in the series. Set it in one of the regions between Earth and Mars that Gjallarhorn doesn't truly control and set up a good reason that PMCs and pirate groups might clash with and pursue each other. The setting really does have the ingredients for something interesting and small-scale.
I really like IBO as a setting and agree with it's potential, but I honestly don't like the idea of setting it before the series. We wouldn't have a lot to work with and a conflict that small would be irrelevant. Money grubbing mercenaries vs money grubbing pirates, that's about as impersonal as you can get without suits and ties.

It'd be better to just wait until the series is over with and then set a roleplay after the events of the series in the midst of the inevitable political fallout that's bound to happen regardless of how things turn out. We'd be able to have a more open ended and meaningful conflict opposed to the usual "You're a nobody fighting in a conflict that's completely meaningless in the grand scheme of things."

SNT1
Traitor Villain

Post by SNT1 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:17 pm

I really like IBO as a setting and agree with it's potential, but I honestly don't like the idea of setting it before the series. We wouldn't have a lot to work with and a conflict that small would be irrelevant. Money grubbing mercenaries vs money grubbing pirates, that's about as impersonal as you can get without suits and ties.
One can plausibly have a PMC vs PMC RPG in the same current setting as CGS. I agree that we need to understand more of the series' settings, the politics of the big bosses and hopefully Season 1's end, along with whatever new info/side story that we may have, shed more light. Not really the best thread to critique but IBO has been kinda lacking, I feel, on Gjallahorn's backstory and its leaders. But the setting is just too ripe and has too much promise for a good RPG on the other side of the main heroes. Plus something silly as Ryusei-Go! is canon so just imagine the possibilities here :mrgreen:
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/

Dark Duel
Determined Shonen Hero

Post by Dark Duel » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:24 am

To be fair, goofy name aside Ryusei-Go is really just a minor upgrade of a mass-produced mobile suit. Be kinda like if Char had called his custom Zaku II "Pinky Pie".
But yeah, IBO is such a broad and potentially complex setting that it's got a lot of RP potential

Of course, the post-0100 Universal Century IMO is the same, because so little has been done with that setting - with very few exception, the new UC stuff we've gotten has all been pre-UC 0090, and probably 90% of that is in the 0079 to 0087 range(which I think has been so thoroughly done to death that at this point it needs to die a permanent death).

So I'd be fine with either idea, TBH. It's just most of the Gundam RPs I've been in have been AUs, and I was kinda eager to do something with the late UC.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS
// GUNPLA THREAD //

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."

Cardi Doorl
Traitor Villain

Post by Cardi Doorl » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:28 pm

I suspect Dark Duel (hey DD, good to see you're still around :) ) is onto something similar to what I was clumsily trying to get at; using a less-developed setting gives you a lot of room to improvise with less chance of interfering with established continuity, if that's your thing (it is with TftF!).

For something like IBO, which is an unfolding series with possible revelations to its background mythology yet forthcoming... I mean, you can still improvise. If a revelation later in the series contradicts stuff you improvised in the RPG's story, there's no Continuity Police coming to break down your door. Have a little fun with the possibilities.

One thing to keep in mind is the current state of our RPG community; we have a handful of active members with rare newcomers, and we've been inactive for roughly 2 years. I get the general impression that Gundam message board RPGs aren't booming like they were when TftF started.

My point is that, with that in mind, we might want to start on a small scale and work up, if only to get some movement going at all first. Take ideas discussed recently like an IBO setting, or an F-91/post-UC100 setting, for example: either one could easily be the setting for very small-scale, very intimate, and very short-term stories/games. Like, you could have a game scheduled to run just a couple months purely to get our Gundam RPG jitters quelled and maybe get this section noticed as an active RPG community by any potential players lurking the boards. Once we get the skids greased, we could set up a more ambitious and open-ended RPG.

This actually touches on a major section reorganization idea I was toying about with but never got around to pitching to the rest of the Trinary before I went AWOL. Might not be feasible (or particularly meaningful) now :(

Wingnut
Hot-blooded Gattai

Post by Wingnut » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:21 pm

I have to agree. Sometimes scale can get ahead of you and if one key link in that large scale out of a few people is afk for a while, things can grind to a halt very quickly.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.

Cardi Doorl
Traitor Villain

Post by Cardi Doorl » Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:16 am

Yeah, that's what I mean. Aim for something short and punchy first, (re-)establish a group of regulars, get a feel for how active we are, then launch something long-term. Might even be worth it to do a little series of short-term games.
Crosswire wrote:Plus I got cold feet because the end of the war is already known so technically everything done during the RP would be meaningless... [regarding a Zanscare War setting]
Crosswire wrote:...a conflict that small would be irrelevant. [regarding a pre-series IBO setting]
Crosswire wrote:"You're a nobody fighting in a conflict that's completely meaningless in the grand scheme of things."
Have you seen an OVA called Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket?

I'm sorry if this comes off like I'm picking on you, but I notice in your posts that you seem to look for ways to discourage and limit yourself rather than focus on potential and possibilities. This is supposed to be fun, dude.

Crosswire40
Lackey GM Pilot

Post by Crosswire40 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:33 pm

Cardi Doorl wrote:Yeah, that's what I mean. Aim for something short and punchy first, (re-)establish a group of regulars, get a feel for how active we are, then launch something long-term. Might even be worth it to do a little series of short-term games.

Have you seen an OVA called Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket?

I'm sorry if this comes off like I'm picking on you, but I notice in your posts that you seem to look for ways to discourage and limit yourself rather than focus on potential and possibilities. This is supposed to be fun, dude.
I've seen 0080 and probably just about every other animated media related media (save for Green Divers).

And you're not picking on me, you have a valid point. Small scale stories can be meaningful and interesting, it's just lately I've been incredibly anxious and fearful of disappointment. Starting a roleplay is supposed to be fun and exciting, but I've just ended up worrying about all the ways it could go wrong and how awful I'd feel when it did.

You have a good idea. Starting a small scale roleplay before the events of Iron Blood Orphans and then just going from there. Chances are by the time we're even part way done the series will be over and if things are successful we can start a more open ended roleplay that takes place after the events of the series.

In fact I think I already have a plot idea:

-------------------------------------------------

A lot of weapons were made back during the Calamity War. Everything from ships, to mobile suits, to things that laughed at the idea of humanitarian laws. Many of these weapons were dismantled or destroyed during or after the war itself, but many more were simply lost or misplaced. One of these weapons was the Titan.

Made around Jupiter the Titans were effectively ship sized bombs that could reduce space colonies to scrap metal or be dropped through the atmosphere of a planet to devastate major population centers. Thanks to their heavy armor and simple, but hardy design they were insanely difficult to stop once dropped or fired at a target. Only a handful were actually built due to their cost and the materials involved in their construction, but the memory of the destruction they wrought during the war has survived to this day.

The technology and designs behind the Titans have been completely forgotten since the war, possibly done intentionally due to the sheer butchery they unleashed. However rumors persisted that a Titan still remained intact somewhere, just waiting to be found.

Even ignoring how valuable the Titan was by itself, it's destructive capabilities alone would drive people to pay fortunes to get their hands on it and drive even more to spend twice as much to ensure the weapon was destroyed for good.

Such potential wealth and destructive power drove many to seek out the Titan, but none came close to finding it...until now.

A PMC group and a band of Pirates have arrived at a space colony nestled in between Mars and Jupiter. The colony was once used as a pit stop and dock for ships traveling between Mars and Jupiter and is bordered on every side save one by thick debris fields filled with all manner of space garbage and heinous wreckage.

Here is where these men and women will search, fight, and die looking for...

THE LAST TITAN

----------------------------------------------------

There we go, it's straight forward but exciting. Pirates and PMC fighters going at one another to try and find and claim an old, incredibly valuable weapon that's supposed to be hidden somewhere around the colony.

How does that sound?

ChaoticSheep1
AEUG Slapping Boy

Post by ChaoticSheep1 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:07 am

It sound's interesting. Probably alot easier than the Vic one. It's also the perfect setting for that good
customization of MS. There's probably lots of parts lying around for that and lots of possible reasons.
Also, I think that it's great that you listened to their advice and did a shorter but harder hitting story.

The general plot reminds me of Armored Core somewhat, a small Group of Merc's looking for a hidden
Dark Age Superweapon.

I'd laugh if the ending was remaining characters finding out it was never there in the first place or was moved before they came.

Crosswire40
Lackey GM Pilot

Post by Crosswire40 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:21 pm

ChaoticSheep1 wrote:Also, I think that it's great that you listened to their advice and did a shorter but harder hitting story.
Well thank you very much, that makes me feel much better about myself and my capabilities as a person in general. :D
ChaoticSheep1 wrote: I'd laugh if the ending was remaining characters finding out it was never there in the first place or was moved before they came.
Nah, that'd be a major cop out. I mean that can work sometimes but if we did that here it'd just feel lame and underwhelming. It'd be the mecha version of "AND IT WAS ALLLLL A DREAM."

Cardi Doorl
Traitor Villain

Post by Cardi Doorl » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:58 am

It's a promising setup that leaves a lot of potential for character/faction motives beyond mercs/pirates who are just in it for the money, as you as you had feared. It can also be tailored for an intimate and short-term initial game while also being flexible enough to transition into an open-ended long-term story should the community support be there for it. See how planning can be fun? :)

ChaoticSheep1
AEUG Slapping Boy

Post by ChaoticSheep1 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:41 pm

I reckon someone if not me is going to make a "Nano-laminate armor, son" quip after Mobile Worker learns how useless its weapons are against a Mobile Suit.

Also, in regards to the story. Is the installation that both factions are fighting in Abandoned or forgotten? Is it on one of those known travel lanes that the Turbines were talking about? Or the one's that Gjallihorn don't know about and don't have patrolled?

Crosswire40
Lackey GM Pilot

Post by Crosswire40 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:24 am

Cardi Doorl wrote:It's a promising setup that leaves a lot of potential for character/faction motives beyond mercs/pirates who are just in it for the money, as you as you had feared. It can also be tailored for an intimate and short-term initial game while also being flexible enough to transition into an open-ended long-term story should the community support be there for it. See how planning can be fun? :)
Yeah I see now. This will work a lot better! Thanks for opening my eyes and making me realize this.
I reckon someone if not me is going to make a "Nano-laminate armor, son" quip after Mobile Worker learns how useless its weapons are against a Mobile Suit.

Also, in regards to the story. Is the installation that both factions are fighting in Abandoned or forgotten? Is it on one of those known travel lanes that the Turbines were talking about? Or the one's that Gjallihorn don't know about and don't have patrolled?
Well the factions aren't fighting over an installation. They're searching/fighting each other in said search for this weapon supposedly hidden in this out of the way area in space.

The roleplay will be centered around a space colony that during the Calamity War was located on a heavily active travel lane that saw usage from both military and economic vessels. However near the end of the war the lane became impractical to use due to the massive build up of debris in the area, a problem that continued to worsen after the war ended.

It's said that at one time the colony was located beside a massive space fortress, but no records of existence have survived and there doesn't appear to be any trace of it left. Though some stories state the fortress was destroyed and is one of the main reasons for the unusual amount of debris in the area.

With better, safer travel lanes becoming available people stopped going past the colony and it was gradually forgotten about over time. The colony isn't abandoned, people still live there but the population is surprisingly sparse. Gjallihorn knows about the colony but doesn't bother to have it's area patrolled since it's so out of the way.

This place is as close to "Backwater boondocks" in space as you can get!

ChaoticSheep1
AEUG Slapping Boy

Post by ChaoticSheep1 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:11 am

Well the factions aren't fighting over an installation. They're searching/fighting each other in said search for this weapon supposedly hidden in this out of the way area in space.

I'd imagine both forces would investigate the Space Colony and mostly likely encounter and/or clash with one another eventually inside the colony accidentally or on purpose and you've been very clear on what both forces are fighting over.

Crosswire40
Lackey GM Pilot

Post by Crosswire40 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:02 pm

ChaoticSheep1 wrote: I'd imagine both forces would investigate the Space Colony and mostly likely encounter and/or clash with one another eventually inside the colony accidentally or on purpose and you've been very clear on what both forces are fighting over.
Yeah! :D

So now the only thing that's left is to actually make the roleplay. I'm not sure how to do that here though. On other sites it's pretty straight forward, but don't I need special moderator permission before I can make a roleplay here? I looked through the rules but I didn't see anything, maybe I missed it.

Crosswire40
Lackey GM Pilot

Post by Crosswire40 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:37 am

Wow all activity here dropped dead on contact of my last question. It's been so bloody long the first entire season of Gundam Blood Iron Orphans finished! Now I have a burning hunger for Universal Century Gundam related stuff after seeing Gundam Thunderbolt, though now I'd rather participate then run a roleplay.

Though seeing as the activity here is I sincerely doubt anyone's going to come along and start a forum unless I do it. So I'm going to sit on just what I want to do and wait for some feedback here.