Interest Check

Shop talk for any of the RPGs currently running on the forum.

Moderators: Fritz Ashlyn, Heretic, mcred23, Cardi Doorl, Wedge14

What Gundam Roleplay would you want to see made and run?

Poll ended at Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:10 am

Mobile Suit Gundam- One Year War Roleplay
10%
Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam- Gryps Conflict Roleplay
No votes
ZZ Gundam- Neo Zeon War Roleplay
10%
Char's Counter Attack- Second Neo Zeon War Roleplay
No votes
Unicorn Gundam- Laplace Conflict Roleplay
No votes
Gundam F91- Cosmo Babylon War Roleplay
40%
Victory Gundam- Zanscare War Roleplay
10%
Something else...
30%

Total votes: 10

Dark Duel
Determined Shonen Hero

Re: Interest Check

Post by Dark Duel » Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:48 am

Crosswire40 wrote:I'm worried too many people will join Zanscare because the alternatives are a faction that uses antiques and a faction that uses two types of mobile suits (though there are variations of the Gun EZ)

Not helped by the fact that the Victory Type is going to be very scarce for the League during the start of the way.
Faction-wise, there are a couple of ways to handle a V-era RP that I can see

1. THREE SEPARATE FACTIONS: The EFF, Zanscare, and LM. In which case you have one faction with only two types of MS(The LM), one with only thirty-plus-year-old hardware(EFF), and the space nazis with a whole bunch of different mech(Zanscare)

2. TWO SEPARATE FACTIONS: Zanscare on the one hand, and the EFF/LM being kind of lumped together on the other side. I think this approach would allow for more diversity in terms of the available machines for the Feddie-side by taking the GunEZ/Gunblaster and adding EFF-use units such as the Formula series(The G-Cannon, F90-91, etc...)
(Note: I've already decided, should this RP take off, that this is where I'll be ;))

I also agree that the Victory units on the LM/Fed side, and some of the more high-spec Zanscare units on the other side, should be extremely scarce/unavailable, at least initially. For me, restricting higher-spec models does help keep things more interesting.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS
// GUNPLA THREAD //

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."

ChaoticSheep1
AEUG Slapping Boy

Post by ChaoticSheep1 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:21 am

Crosswire40 wrote:
ChaoticSheep1 wrote:Question. Is BESPA a PMC or at least has a Paramilitary branch? I got the implication that most Zanscare pilots are from BESPA. Am I wrong, although I think those militia pilots from when they were infiltrating Side 2 weren't.

Honestly I don't really feel like playing a Zanscare pilot right now. But If people need to RP two characters or more I'd be up though.

Today I have this massive cold... So ummm.... the question I have been avoiding is Newtypes. Can we be one? And how powerful? Will there be a cap? How will the mods/admins recieve NT privedges. How will they work? etc.
They aren't a PMC, I'm not even sure why you would think that. As for their pilots it's believed a lot of BESPA's test pilots as well as the Federation garrison located in Zanscares home colon defected as well, which is probably the origin of the 'Yellow Jacket' nickname.

I think a lot of characters in the series referred to Zanscare's forces as 'BESPA' ether out of a misunderstanding of what BESPA actually is or that it was shorter to say then Zanscare.
You answer your own question here. I also did say I have a massive cold and I remember saying something about not having watched the series in a fair while.

Also you had the same Idea as I had about the Newtype Awakening process. Although I was willing to include rare NT NPC/'s in the story.
Dark Duel wrote:
Crosswire40 wrote:I'm worried too many people will join Zanscare because the alternatives are a faction that uses antiques and a faction that uses two types of mobile suits (though there are variations of the Gun EZ)

Not helped by the fact that the Victory Type is going to be very scarce for the League during the start of the way.
Faction-wise, there are a couple of ways to handle a V-era RP that I can see

1. THREE SEPARATE FACTIONS: The EFF, Zanscare, and LM. In which case you have one faction with only two types of MS(The LM), one with only thirty-plus-year-old hardware(EFF), and the space nazis with a whole bunch of different mech(Zanscare)

2. TWO SEPARATE FACTIONS: Zanscare on the one hand, and the EFF/LM being kind of lumped together on the other side. I think this approach would allow for more diversity in terms of the available machines for the Feddie-side by taking the GunEZ/Gunblaster and adding EFF-use units such as the Formula series(The G-Cannon, F90-91, etc...)
(Note: I've already decided, should this RP take off, that this is where I'll be ;))

I also agree that the Victory units on the LM/Fed side, and some of the more high-spec Zanscare units on the other side, should be extremely scarce/unavailable, at least initially. For me, restricting higher-spec models does help keep things more interesting.

I can't quite decide which of the two of these I like better. For convenience I like the 2nd option. But both have advantages and draw backs. The 2nd Option would probably lump the EFSF and LM characters together.

Crosswire40
Lackey GM Pilot

Post by Crosswire40 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:44 pm

Dark Duel wrote: Faction-wise, there are a couple of ways to handle a V-era RP that I can see

I came up with those same two options as well when I was thinking of the factions before hand. As much as I really want to keep the Federation and League separate I think I might end up pushing them together into one faction due to my fear of a lack of players.

However keeping them separate could have it's advantages and offer different things for different players. The League has less unit variety but they're all pretty good in regards to performance and the Federation while using older units has access to Formula model mobile suits and things like the limited production F91 and F97-E "Flint".

ChaoticSheep1
AEUG Slapping Boy

Post by ChaoticSheep1 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:39 am

I'd prefer the two factions to be separate but until we get enough players I'd just settle on a mixed bag. Right now its just too small to make a big decision like that just yet.

I actually wouldn't put it past the EFSF to sneak a Formula series unit or two to the LM, especially the unit that they got the Core Block System from the F90 Cluster Gundam Kai from Silhouette Formula F91.

Btw what year is this RPG going to be set in? UC 153? Is it going to start off at a similar time as V Gundam?

ZGMF-X28A Nu-Liberty
Pilot's Doomed Girlfriend

Post by ZGMF-X28A Nu-Liberty » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:32 pm

I have to admit, I'd hoped this conversation would steer into the direction of an F91 RPG (a setting I'd love to take a crack at), but if this does indeed lead into a Victory RPG, then I'm in. It'd be a nice change of setting, personally.

In regards to the issue of factions, I'd like to toss in an idea. Start with the League Militaire and the Earth Federation Forces as separate but cooperative factions and at a certain point, the two factions merge. It'd work to establish tension between two separate groups with similar goals but different tactics/strategy and technological capability.

And yes, establish a limit for Newtypes appearing in the RPG. Last thing we need is psychics running around everywhere casting illusions and anticipating attacks.
"That's the problem with plutonium, Craven; it's limited in its application. It's not user-friendly. But as a vehicle for regaining one's self-respect; oh, it's got a lot going for it!"
- Darius Jedburgh, Edge of Darkness, Episode 6, Fusion

ChaoticSheep1
AEUG Slapping Boy

Post by ChaoticSheep1 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:44 pm

ZGMF-X28A Nu-Liberty wrote: In regards to the issue of factions, I'd like to toss in an idea. Start with the League Militaire and the Earth Federation Forces as separate but cooperative factions and at a certain point, the two factions merge. It'd work to establish tension between two separate groups with similar goals but different tactics/strategy and technological capability.
Sounds good. I'd be good for this. Afterall not everyone in the EFSF are going to look at the League Militiare in a good light. Some probably are going to see them as a loose cannon's and I can see how bitterness could spring up between the two groups. I think it would be good to show the differences between the two. (Is this what you call a foil?).

Another question: about that Bio-Computer system on the Formula series on the wiki with how its worded says that Oldtypes can use the system but can't use it to its maximum potential. Are these things mounted on all the Formula units? If so how would we treat the effects of this system in the RPG?

Dark Duel
Determined Shonen Hero

Post by Dark Duel » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:39 pm

Insofar as I am aware, the biocomputer is absent from the original F90. It may be installed in the F90II or the Cluster Gundam, but the only one I know for certain incorporates it is the F91. The F97/Crossbones also have it, while the F97E Flint do not, nor, from I was able to find out, does the F99.
From what I've found so far, no machine at all outside of SNRI's Formula Project uses the bio-computer on any level, and except for the Crossbones I've found no mention of any machines using it into V's timeline.

As for roleplaying purposes, I personally would be inclined to entirely disregard the bio-computer; Either not mention it at all in the machines that we do use, or else treat it as flavor text in the description but exclude it from gameplay mechanics - an easy enough thing to do since apart from random minor Newtype ex Machina, I don't recall the bio-computer ever actually doing anything worth mentioning.
// GUNPLA THREAD //

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."

ChaoticSheep1
AEUG Slapping Boy

Post by ChaoticSheep1 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:16 am

Dark Duel wrote:Insofar as I am aware, the biocomputer is absent from the original F90. It may be installed in the F90II or the Cluster Gundam, but the only one I know for certain incorporates it is the F91. The F97/Crossbones also have it, while the F97E Flint do not, nor, from I was able to find out, does the F99.
From what I've found so far, no machine at all outside of SNRI's Formula Project uses the bio-computer on any level, and except for the Crossbones I've found no mention of any machines using it into V's timeline.

As for roleplaying purposes, I personally would be inclined to entirely disregard the bio-computer; Either not mention it at all in the machines that we do use, or else treat it as flavor text in the description but exclude it from gameplay mechanics - an easy enough thing to do since apart from random minor Newtype ex Machina, I don't recall the bio-computer ever actually doing anything worth mentioning.
For Oldtypes the BioComputer lets them actually feel their MS like it was an extension of of their body and enchances their piloting abilities by feeding them data into their brain and for Newtypes it acts like a psycommu. It's also required to use the F91's afterimage abilities. It is also know to be extremely stressful for Oldtypes. It's similar to the system in the Psycho Zaku from TB in that is designed to help the physically impaired. It's not really a newtype system its just used by them better.

It also had a strange convoluted method of unlocking it (Working out the catscradle really?). We could disregard them and act like it isnt a part of the F91 and that they have a limiter on them that has to be taken off to use its special ability. Maybe we could also make it so that the F91 is slightly weaker afterwards due to all the heat build up temporarily.

Also I doubt that the Formula series has alot of spare parts laying around. So If you do get one I'd try not to scratch it or you might not have it for long.

Crosswire40
Lackey GM Pilot

Post by Crosswire40 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:04 pm

ChaoticSheep1 wrote: Btw what year is this RPG going to be set in? UC 153? Is it going to start off at a similar time as V Gundam?
No, we're going to start a couple months before the events of Victory Gundam. The starting date will be September 1st, U.C 0152 the day of the Zanscare's invasion of Earth. That way we can flesh out the beginning of the war and have plenty of time before the end, so things don't feel rushed or short at all.
ZGMF-X28A Nu-Liberty wrote:I have to admit, I'd hoped this conversation would steer into the direction of an F91 RPG (a setting I'd love to take a crack at), but if this does indeed lead into a Victory RPG, then I'm in. It'd be a nice change of setting, personally.

In regards to the issue of factions, I'd like to toss in an idea. Start with the League Militaire and the Earth Federation Forces as separate but cooperative factions and at a certain point, the two factions merge. It'd work to establish tension between two separate groups with similar goals but different tactics/strategy and technological capability.

And yes, establish a limit for Newtypes appearing in the RPG. Last thing we need is psychics running around everywhere casting illusions and anticipating attacks.
I'm glad to hear that Liberty. As much as I love F91, I think this will be just as much fun if not more so!

Also that's a good idea in regards to the factions. Even if we don't have a lot of players it'll pan out just fine.

I agree with the others in that the Bio-Computer really isn't that relevant. It was never explicitly mentioned or shown what the effects and benefits of the Bio-Computer were. So we'll ether ignore the Bio-Computer or we can say that it was cut out of the limited mass production F91's that'll will/might be avaliable in the roleplay.
ZGMF-X28A Nu-Liberty wrote: Also I doubt that the Formula series has alot of spare parts laying around. So If you do get one I'd try not to scratch it or you might not have it for long.
That's where the fun of modifications come in! Get your F91's head smashed off? Follow the 08th MS team route and slap a Jamegun head on there! Might not always leave your machine better off, but it'll add character! And that's what customization's should be all about!

Dark Duel
Determined Shonen Hero

Post by Dark Duel » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:39 pm

Honestly, I'd prefer an F91 RP as well, but I'm game with a V RP as well, for the same reasons - it's something I've never done before, it's a change of setting and pace. As for the Formula series, I honestly think that even though they are 30-plus years old by the time V rolls around, odds are they aren't as far behind technologically relative to the newer machines as the time gap would seem to indicate, given that apart from some rather weird stuff BESPA did with their units and the general prevalence of the Core Block System, there doesn't seem to have been much substantial technological progress in the intervening time period. And even the Victory's CBS is merely a refinement of much older technology.

As for the F-series, even if we discount the F97s, the F91 seems to have at least had a decent-size production run, so it's not altogether too farfetched that it might still be around in the 150s, 30 years later - the Jegan, introduced in 0089-0090, was still in service into the 120s(similar timeframe), and comparatively it was even more outclassed by newer machines than the F-series would be. But maybe that's my personal bias talking. I just want a chance to mess with the F91.

One thing does, however, intrigue me, and that is the near-total absence of true bona fide VMS. I'm watching V while we're discussing this, and with the sole exception so far of the Tomliat, they all seem to use the same multi-module setup a la ZZ Gundam, which I always found to be unnecessarily complicated - though it has its advantages in some situations.

The other thing I've noticed - though I'm not very far into the series - is that the panoramic monitor of the 0080s-0120s seems to have fallen out of favor.
But this is of course incidental to this discussion :P
// GUNPLA THREAD //

ZGMF-X28A Nu-Liberty

Post by ZGMF-X28A Nu-Liberty » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:32 am

Well, I'd like to make a suggestion in regards to the bio-computer.

Since we know little about the actual mechanics of the bio-computer, let's actually discuss how we could make it work. Let's keep the concept of its wiring being similar to that of a human brain, but discard the talk of it possessing human thoughts and feelings. Let's instead introduce the concept of the bio-computer actively scanning outside thought-waves/psycho-waves and translating them into machine code. This combined with information gathered from the sensors could give the pilot a greatly heightened awareness of their surroundings and what kind of opponents they face. But there's a wrinkle: the flood of so much sensory input can not only overwhelm the pilot, but cause them to suffer various side-effects like hallucinations, traumatic flashbacks, feeling a progressive loss of self-identity, et cetera. That's why a Newtype would be the best kind of pilot to operate a bio-computer effectively: their brains have changed enough to either negate or lessen the aforementioned side effects.

At least, that's what I think about it.

But anyway, if this gets off the ground, I'm probably going to be League Militaire or Earth Federation Forces. Which means you can probably expect a request for a Formula-series mobile suit. xD
"That's the problem with plutonium, Craven; it's limited in its application. It's not user-friendly. But as a vehicle for regaining one's self-respect; oh, it's got a lot going for it!"

ChaoticSheep1
AEUG Slapping Boy

Post by ChaoticSheep1 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:47 am

(For some reason the posting feature glitched out and just posted all the quotes of the previous comment without what I said).

I like the Javelin head more then the Jamesgun head though :3. Plus it wouldnt hurt to have a few VSBR's as alternate equipment for a Javelin.

The MSV's explained what the BioComputer does. But I am okay with it not being introduced at all due to the fact that we probably would be using limited production units. I think if we wanted to use the MEPE system that it would be locked behind a limiter just like how on the F35's they have a performance limiter for newer pilots and those who are unaccustomed to the new plane.

Also I am okay if you hand out a Formula unit for story reasons. e.g One of the characters has political connections or is from a wealthy family that is somewhat high up the Federation food chain.

Crosswire40
Lackey GM Pilot

Post by Crosswire40 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:57 am

Dark Duel wrote:Honestly, I'd prefer an F91 RP as well, but I'm game with a V RP as well, for the same reasons - it's something I've never done before, it's a change of setting and pace. As for the Formula series, I honestly think that even though they are 30-plus years old by the time V rolls around, odds are they aren't as far behind technologically relative to the newer machines as the time gap would seem to indicate, given that apart from some rather weird stuff BESPA did with their units and the general prevalence of the Core Block System, there doesn't seem to have been much substantial technological progress in the intervening time period. And even the Victory's CBS is merely a refinement of much older technology.
MS Technology has progressed a bit compared to 30 years ago though not all of it is noticeable or flashy.

Beam Shields are common place now showing up in one form or another on just about every suit, when 30 years ago only a few units had them and Minvosky based devices have been miniaturized like the Victory Gundam's "Minovsky Flight" which allows it to keep hovering in mid-air at any altitude, allowing it to dedicate all thrust from its rockets and verniers to maneuvering.

There is a different in performance between newer and suits produced 30 years ago, as seen by the Modified Heavyguns used by Macedonia which were practically swept aside by Zanscare's new Gedlev. However I believe the Formula and even the Silhouette Formula Project models have escaped this to a degree.

So older suits like the F-71 and the like are still able to compete with Zanscare's machines (at least their starting ones) even though their lack of beam shields makes their defenses much poorer then the likes of the Jamesgun or Javelin. More high performance models like the F-91 and F-97E would still be genuine threats, though they'd eventually be out preformed by newer models.

I'll say that there are both advantages and disadvantages to using older suits from the Formula series. They suffer in some areas when compared to newer suits, but excel in others. So it'll be up to players and pilots to decide what to put their faith in.
Dark Duel wrote:
As for the F-series, even if we discount the F97s, the F91 seems to have at least had a decent-size production run, so it's not altogether too far fetched that it might still be around in the 150s, 30 years later - the Jegan, introduced in 0089-0090, was still in service into the 120s(similar timeframe), and comparatively it was even more outclassed by newer machines than the F-series would be. But maybe that's my personal bias talking. I just want a chance to mess with the F91.
I agree and understand your need to play with an F91 :) . I believe there are still plenty of Formula units kicking around in the Federation. Though the Heavygun was phased out in favor of the Jamesgun I'm certain there are older suits still in use, though there's probably only a handful of the F-91's and the F-97E's left since they were expensive to make and certainly haven't gotten cheaper to maintain after 30 something years.
Dark Duel wrote:One thing does, however, intrigue me, and that is the near-total absence of true bona fide VMS. I'm watching V while we're discussing this, and with the sole exception so far of the Tomliat, they all seem to use the same multi-module setup a la ZZ Gundam, which I always found to be unnecessarily complicated - though it has its advantages in some situations.
Actually there's a good reason why a lot of suits have a modular set up. By having the suit be modular it makes it very easy to repair the suit and get it back into the field as a damaged module can be swapped out for a working one with relative ease. On top of that having a modular suit increases pilot survivability as they can use the separate modules of their suit in clever ways or outright eject damaged parts of their suit to make a quick, unburdened escape.

Just look at the Victory Gundam. It's modular system gives it frightening flexibility on the battlefield and allows it to swap working modules with other damaged Victory Types to create working suits out of damaged ones.

The mechanisms and systems needed for transformation and modular function have been refined and significantly simplified since the days of the Second Neo Zeon war. They're so simple now they can be utilized in mass production mobile suits with relative ease and to great effect at that.

I believe the lack of traditional Variable Mobile Suits comes from the advantage and utility people see in a modular system. A plain VMS unit would be one solid unit, having the complexity of a transforming unit without the ease of repair of a modular suit.

The only advantage a non-modular VMS has over a modular one is that they're easier to use. After all the two 'pure' mass produced VMS units in Victory Gundam are the Tomliat and Domuttlia were put into production because most pilots didn't have the piloting skill necessary to take full advantage of the Zolo.

Though the Abigor was also a 'pure' VMS suit it was made in limited numbers.
Dark Duel wrote:The other thing I've noticed - though I'm not very far into the series - is that the panoramic monitor of the 0080s-0120s seems to have fallen out of favor.
But this is of course incidental to this discussion :P
Actually that's completely untrue. A lot if not most mobile suits have panoramic cockpits. The only reason the cockpits of suits like the Victory Gundam and other transformable models do not appear panoramic is because it needed to retain a certain shape for the core fighter.

However even these cockpits have an excellent range of view, pilots can even look down through sections of the 'floor'. So most of the time even if they're not panoramic they're at least pseudo panoramic.
Last edited by Crosswire40 on Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

ChaoticSheep1
AEUG Slapping Boy

Post by ChaoticSheep1 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:07 am

(Sorry for doubleposting my browser or this site or something is on friz here, I'll try to refrain from it.)
ZGMF-X28A Nu-Liberty wrote:Well, I'd like to make a suggestion in regards to the bio-computer.

Since we know little about the actual mechanics of the bio-computer, let's actually discuss how we could make it work. Let's keep the concept of its wiring being similar to that of a human brain, but discard the talk of it possessing human thoughts and feelings. Let's instead introduce the concept of the bio-computer actively scanning outside thought-waves/psycho-waves and translating them into machine code. This combined with information gathered from the sensors could give the pilot a greatly heightened awareness of their surroundings and what kind of opponents they face. But there's a wrinkle: the flood of so much sensory input can not only overwhelm the pilot, but cause them to suffer various side-effects like hallucinations, traumatic flashbacks, feeling a progressive loss of self-identity, et cetera. That's why a Newtype would be the best kind of pilot to operate a bio-computer effectively: their brains have changed enough to either negate or lessen the aforementioned side effects.
I feel like someone actually listened to me about how it works. Yeah, I like those side affects you've come up with, they sound like symptoms of prolonged usage of the system though, which when fighting against very superior units you'd be hard pressed not to exploit against every veteran or ace. I could also see other effects such as Seizures, Brain Damage and other forms of trauma should the pilot use it too much.

Although you seem to be confusing some of it with the Bio-Brain, the Bio-Computer just sends data from the suit to the person in it. It's just a system that does that, just that.

I am okay with not having the Bio-Computer but it sounds like an interesting thing to RP with and I also think people should think about it more.

ZGMF-X28A Nu-Liberty

Post by ZGMF-X28A Nu-Liberty » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:28 am

ChaoticSheep1 wrote:(Sorry for doubleposting my browser or this site or something is on friz here, I'll try to refrain from it.)
ZGMF-X28A Nu-Liberty wrote:Well, I'd like to make a suggestion in regards to the bio-computer.

I feel like someone actually listened to me about how it works. Yeah, I like those side affects you've come up with, they sound like symptoms of prolonged usage of the system though, which when fighting against very superior units you'd be hard pressed not to exploit against every veteran or ace. I could also see other effects such as Seizures, Brain Damage and other forms of trauma should the pilot use it too much.

Although you seem to be confusing some of it with the Bio-Brain, the Bio-Computer just sends data from the suit to the person in it. It's just a system that does that, just that.

I am okay with not having the Bio-Computer but it sounds like an interesting thing to RP with and I also think people should think about it more.
Well, I tried to keep in mind the description of the bio-computer acting as a reverse psycommu system, which translates the pilot's psycho-waves into machine code and hence allow the usage of funnels and bits. That's why I included the bit about the bio-computer scanning outside thought-waves/psycho-waves.

ChaoticSheep1
AEUG Slapping Boy

Post by ChaoticSheep1 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:48 am

ZGMF-X28A Nu-Liberty wrote:
ChaoticSheep1 wrote:(Sorry for doubleposting my browser or this site or something is on friz here, I'll try to refrain from it.)

Well, I tried to keep in mind the description of the bio-computer acting as a reverse psycommu system, which translates the pilot's psycho-waves into machine code and hence allow the usage of funnels and bits. That's why I included the bit about the bio-computer scanning outside thought-waves/psycho-waves.
I guess you might be right. But I was talking about it being alive. I wasn't doubting most of what you were saying. You bring up very good points. I'm sorry if I missed something if I read your post.

Although would it be able to use bits and funnels? I think you'd be able to feel them but not move them. Since the system just relays where they are, not move them if my memory serves me well. I could be wrong.

Dark Duel
Determined Shonen Hero

Post by Dark Duel » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:08 pm

I am opposed to funnels/bits as a general rule, myself, and the fact that such remote weapons have become almost nonexistent is one of my favorite parts of the post-UC 0100 setting.
And I don't know if the bio-computer would be able to allow control of remote weapons, but given that it's, from what I understand, exclusively designed to feed data to the pilot and not the other way around, I would say not - a true psycommu system, I think, would still be required for that.

I do like the idea of the bio-computer being usable but with certain drawbacks, and I like the ideas being presented here as well. But that also opens up the entire can of worms of how to handle Newtypes/Cyber-Newtypes, and that can be a tricky one depending on how it's implemented.
Personally, I'd rather just not deal with it at all and simply disregard it. But ultimately, that's up to whoever's running the show.

@Crosswire: All fair points - at the same time, a more complex modular setup would require more maintenance, which IMO at least partially offsets the greater ease of maintenance benefit and would be more difficult for less experienced pilots to handle - as well as being more expensive to produce in numbers - hence the production, from what I've been able to find out, of the Tomliat as a simpler, lower-cost alternative to the Zolo.
Both have their advantages and drawbacks. I was just commenting on the relative absence of one vs. the other.

And I facepalmed when I realized I had completely forgotten about the Abigor. Shoulda remembered that one from the Abigorbine.
// GUNPLA THREAD //

Crosswire40
Lackey GM Pilot

Post by Crosswire40 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:26 pm

In regards to the Formula series Biocomputer I see no reason why it would allow the user to control bits. It's just a feedback system designed to allow pilots to better control the suit. Besides ranged bit weapons have largely fallen out of use in late UC. The only units that I can think of (besides units used by the Jupiter Empire) that use a Psycommu system and some kind of remote attack system are the Zong, the Gengaozo, and the Zanspine.
Dark Duel wrote: And I facepalmed when I realized I had completely forgotten about the Abigor. Shoulda remembered that one from the Abigorbine.
Don't feel bad, I completely spaced on the Abigor myself when I was writing my post. I only remember a couple minutes afterwards and then went back to add it is. Which is strange since I really liked the Abigor and even it's goofy, leaky aquatic counterpart.
Dark Duel wrote:I do like the idea of the bio-computer being usable but with certain drawbacks, and I like the ideas being presented here as well. But that also opens up the entire can of worms of how to handle Newtypes/Cyber-Newtypes, and that can be a tricky one depending on how it's implemented.

Personally, I'd rather just not deal with it at all and simply disregard it. But ultimately, that's up to whoever's running the show.
As much as I like the idea of how the Bio-Computer has such drawbacks, I feel it might give too much attention to the limited production F-91's which are already impressive units even for 30 year old machines.

Though I would like to include Newtypes/Cyber-Newtypes in some way, even if it's done through random selection over the course of the roleplay. I don't want them to overshadow the non-Newtype Characters, but I feel they might add some intrigue and interesting drama to the story.

ChaoticSheep1
AEUG Slapping Boy

Post by ChaoticSheep1 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:13 am

Crosswire40 wrote: As much as I like the idea of how the Bio-Computer has such drawbacks, I feel it might give too much attention to the limited production F-91's which are already impressive units even for 30 year old machines.

Though I would like to include Newtypes/Cyber-Newtypes in some way, even if it's done through random selection over the course of the roleplay. I don't want them to overshadow the non-Newtype Characters, but I feel they might add some intrigue and interesting drama to the story.
Fair enough. I was also under the impression that the mass production units were alot weaker than the original unit so I suppose that along the course of the campaign perhaps Anahiem or SNRI could send some parts that bring them up to full power.

Also is it just me who can see VSBR's on a Javelin or Gun-EZ? Cause that would be cool. They probably would be the Anahiem model from Silhouette though if its the LM. I hope someone customizes their MS with those weapons :mrgreen: , although I hope I can get them.

Honestly I am much more interested in piloting the older and more customizable F90 Gundam F90 or the interesting Cluster Gundam Kai. I need to write a story where they modify the living ZOINKS out of a F90 Crossbone style to fight in the Zanscare War. Plus I can't wait to see refitted Federation warships that like the Alexandria and Reinforce those are so cool (Imagining the LM flagship being an Irish class and much less likely an Argama class or even the Nahel Argama itself :) ). I hope we EF/LM players dont get Salamises :lol: .

Also another thing bugging me. For NT pilots I assume the process for getting a psycommu installed would be to ask and then the system would be installed according to if one is available plot wise to them (assuming things like they arent behind enemy lines et)?

I don't even remember the Federation or AE having access to psycommu systems small enough for miniaturized suits so I guess we'll just go along and say that they do?

Crosswire40
Lackey GM Pilot

Post by Crosswire40 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:00 am

ChaoticSheep1 wrote: Fair enough. I was also under the impression that the mass production units were alot weaker than the original unit so I suppose that along the course of the campaign perhaps Anahiem or SNRI could send some parts that bring them up to full power.
There was no indication that the limited production models of the F-91 were in anyway inferior to the original. They seemed to have the same performance as the original did when they showed up in Crossbone Gundam.
ChaoticSheep1 wrote: Also is it just me who can see VSBR's on a Javelin or Gun-EZ? Cause that would be cool. They probably would be the Anahiem model from Silhouette though if its the LM. I hope someone customizes their MS with those weapons :mrgreen: , although I hope I can get them.
VSBR's will be restricted weapons because of their high destructive capability and the fact they can penetrate beam shields. Besides they're not exactly something you can just slap on any mobile suit, there are power and hardware requirements that not all suits will meet. Plus I'm pretty sure they're very complex or intricate weapons since they've only popped up on a few machines.
ChaoticSheep1 wrote: Plus I can't wait to see refitted Federation warships that like the Alexandria and Reinforce those are so cool (Imagining the LM flagship being an Irish class and much less likely an Argama class or even the Nahel Argama itself :) ). I hope we EF/LM players dont get Salamises :lol: .
We'll see what the groups get, but don't get your hopes up.

ChaoticSheep1 wrote: Also another thing bugging me. For NT pilots I assume the process for getting a psycommu installed would be to ask and then the system would be installed according to if one is available plot wise to them (assuming things like they arent behind enemy lines et)?

I don't even remember the Federation or AE having access to psycommu systems small enough for miniaturized suits so I guess we'll just go along and say that they do?
While I want Newtypes in the stories, Psycommu systems are a WHOLE other story. Zanscare has them since they seem to have actually pursued research into Newtypes or at the very least gotten a hold of data relating to them. Meanwhile the Federation gives Jack and S*hit about Newtypes like they always have, so they just flat out haven't bothered with it.

Anaheim has butt loads of data regarding old mobile suits. I bet they could make a Psycommu system, but there's no demand for them and neither the Federation or the League have shown any interest in Newtypes what so ever.