General RPG Discussion

Shop talk for any of the RPGs currently running on the forum.

Moderators: Fritz Ashlyn, Heretic, mcred23, Cardi Doorl, Wedge14

Inferno
Mysterious Masked Dude

Re: Generic RPG Discussion Thread

Post by Inferno » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:54 pm

I'm not entirely sure- this is still really vague. I'm contemplating setting up a PiratePad to build a working list of ideas if we really want to look deeper into this.

Tangerine
Newtype Emo Guy

Re: General RPG Discussion

Post by Tangerine » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:26 am

has anyone ever write about code geass RPG? or is it too plot heavy for anyone to handle?

Sume Gai
Oblivious Harem Loser

Post by Sume Gai » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:59 pm

They Exist, Never on MAHQ but I know it's entirely possible to use that universe as a setting.
The Viability of playing a Geass User or super strategic genius is questionable though...
"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

"I like the SAGA. Its what Rambo would pilot if he was in Gundam 00" -Kylern

Inferno
Mysterious Masked Dude

Post by Inferno » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:53 am

VOTOMS: PID General thread will be up later today. In there I'll address what I want to happen for signups.

Fritz Ashlyn
Traitor Villain

Post by Fritz Ashlyn » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:19 pm

I'm not in panic mode, but Votoms got votes from at least 8 members and I'd like to see some more effort put into joining the game. If you voted for it you should probably consider joining, guys.
TftF Wiki
TftF One Shots
RPG Trinary: Ortega
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: Fritz Ashlyn

Hey! why don't you swing on down to the RPG section? Tales from the Frontlines: The AEUG running strong since 2006!

Arbiter GUNDAM
Gun-toting Patlabor Pilot

Post by Arbiter GUNDAM » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:51 pm

Seven other guys besides me voted for it, let's do it! :D
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion

Inferno
Mysterious Masked Dude

Post by Inferno » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:56 pm

I was expecting this, since VOTOMS isn't as well known as Gundam. I'm willing to wait a bit, while people still read up and maybe watch an OVA or two to understand the universe.

Crosswire40
Lackey GM Pilot

Post by Crosswire40 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:36 am

I'm VERY interested in joining. I'm surprised you haven't gotten more members! I mean I know Votoms isn't very common but what the heck? Are you still willing to run it after, oh, 2 something years?

Crosswire40
Lackey GM Pilot

Post by Crosswire40 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:44 am

What happened to this place? There was so much activity and plans and then it just stopped. I'm still willing to join a roleplay if anyone's running one. Heck I'm thinking of starting my own!

ChaoticSheep1
AEUG Slapping Boy

Post by ChaoticSheep1 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:44 am

It is quite depressing eh? I was quite engaged with their previous Zeta era RPG. It's a shame really. I wonder if places like Zeta Boards are like this too?

The new VOTOM's RPG does sound really interesting. Won't play though, I'll just read it.

Crosswire40
Lackey GM Pilot

Post by Crosswire40 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:50 am

ChaoticSheep1 wrote:
The new VOTOM's RPG does sound really interesting. Won't play though, I'll just read it.
I don't think it's active anymore, though I could potentially be wrong.

Anyway, as per the rules here on the forum I'd like to discuss about an Roleplaying Game idea I had that I'd like to start. I started a separate thread to ask around for interest, but that was because I wasn't entirely sure if this discussion thread was still active enough to get noticed. If that was breaking any rules, i'm sorry :(

But onto the idea at hand!

The Universal Century is a really cool roleplay setting due to the abundance of unit variations, side locations, and possibilities for individual stories. However some wars and conflicts have been covered more then others and I've noticed that the late Universal Century really doesn't see the love it should receive.

That's why I want to exploit this lack of love with a late-UC roleplay here! It'll be a Victory Gundam roleplay!

For those of you who don't know what Victory Gundam is it's one of the last established events that really takes place in Late U.C besides Crossbone Gundam: Ghost and G-Saviour as of 2015.

Despite being so far off the events of Victory Gundam really have not been explored, besides a small side story manga which didn't really cover the main events of the war so much.

Because of this we're given a rare opportunity for abundant narrative freedom in terms of what can happen and the kinds of battles, victories, and losses that can be had. The end of the war is still there, but if the One Year War taught me anything it's that just because we know how the war ends doesn't mean the battles that went on during it are meaningless.

And thanks to the limited number of established events and battles, especially during he early months of the war, we could go so far as to establish our own major battles and events that happened. We'll still need to mind canon, but since the scope of the war that we see and is mentioned is pretty focused on fairly specific areas and regions of space we don't have to worry about contradicting as many over arching details.

On top of that it's late Universal Century meaning there's a LOT of stuff we could play with, both in terms of technology, possible characters, and the kind of motives and backgrounds for RP events.

Though as cool as it is I don't think we'll be using Crossbone Gundam: Ghost in the canon list. I read through at least the first 10 volumes and I have to say there some things that don't really make sense. The later Crossbones are fine though.

Players will be able to make characters for the Zanscare Empire, the Earth Federation, the League Militaire, or have them be apart of one of the groups supporting them, Anaheim, BESPA, est.

I do have a question I'd like to discuss though:

Should the Earth Federation be treated as a separate Faction like the League and Zanscare are, or should they be paired up with the League?

The leaders of the Earth Federation have their heads up their rears and don't officially declare war on the Zanscare Empire until a couple months after they start their aggression. This means that Federation troops had to ether hop ship to the League or just start operating on their own in order to get things done and not get garroted by the Fed government's red tape.

I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts on the matter, but I'm leaning towards pairing up the Federation with the League since there's the possibility we might not get enough players to justify it being separate given the current activity on the forums.

So, yeah that's all I can think to say. I have some basic plot details written up, but I think I've gone on long enough as it is.