TftF Discussion Thread #4

Shop talk for any of the RPGs currently running on the forum.

Moderators: Fritz Ashlyn, Heretic, mcred23, Cardi Doorl, Wedge14

mcred23
Traitor Villain

Re: TftF Discussion Thread #4

Post by mcred23 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:49 am

Joke answer: I'm waiting for the 8th(!!!) anniversary of this thing starting in March to post again.

Serious answer: Partly, I was waiting for Nu-Lib and Loser Villain to post as they said they would. Since no one was really bugging me to move with any sort of urgency or anything, and the crap I've been dealing with of late*, I just haven't taken the time to do anything (Such as finally respond to Nu-Lib's PM to me, which I didn't forget...), even in cases where I actually have stuff more or less written out (Since pretty much everything was planned out literally years ago, which I'll admit is also partly why I've never been in the biggest of rushes since I know most of what's gonna happen 8)).

Of course, all that really isn't a good excuse for me :roll:, so that said, I'll actually start working on some stuff again and doing posts in the next week or two (Exactly when depends on how happy/depressed I am after the Super Bowl :|). However, in order to do things that actually move the story forward, I'm going to have to bunny characters around, and in some cases, that will mean damage to MS or even deaths as I alluded to in October. I don't think there will be much of a cause for people to complain about me not warning in advance or not waiting enough time, and I've mentioned enough times before I'm not comfortable doing those sorts of things, but what the hell, I'd like to get things moving so the rest of you can finally see how this whole thingamajig ends. :)

And there may have been something else I wanted to say, but in writing out this stuff, I forgot it for now, so... Go Broncos. :mrgreen:

*(Which includes, but is not limited to, a serious of minor injuries and illnesses, dealing with BS trying to register at FAU, a work schedule constantly changing on short notice, the NFL playoffs, problems with my ISP, being chased by the secret cabal that abducted the rest of the Trinary, crab people, and video games on my sweet Xbox One)
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')

The Loser Villain
Pilot's Doomed Girlfriend

Post by The Loser Villain » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:52 pm

Hey all, I did intend to post and then some of that good old family emergency decided to show up on my doorstep and then I had a proofreading gig to finish. Soooo, long story short, Post before the end of the week from me!

EDIT: And of course end of the week means tomorrow on Monday.... my bad.
"Kamille, if it wasn't for you...." Jerid's last words

"You bastard... You don't get it! I'm... I'm special! I'm famous! I'm the king of mock battles!" Patrick

Tangerine
Newtype Emo Guy

Post by Tangerine » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:04 am

I know about our policy about calling hits, but does this still stand today? I knew that our poor fellow are trying to post even now but it seemed that the gulag learned their past mistake and kept them at bay from escaping. What can we do?

mcred23
Traitor Villain

Post by mcred23 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:57 pm

If you want to call hits on someone I mentioned on the previous page, go hog wild. If it's someone else, I'd say use your best judgement (Both in terms of who to call hits on, and the extent of the damage), or just PM me and I'd let ya know how far to go or whatever.

On a related note, I'm going to try and get some stuff up early next week, barring work changing my schedule again. :x

Tangerine
Newtype Emo Guy

Post by Tangerine » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:45 pm

mcred23 wrote:If you want to call hits on someone I mentioned on the previous page, go hog wild. If it's someone else, I'd say use your best judgement (Both in terms of who to call hits on, and the extent of the damage), or just PM me and I'd let ya know how far to go or whatever.

On a related note, I'm going to try and get some stuff up early next week, barring work changing my schedule again. :x
Cool, let's wrap something up before we run out of that very little steam juice we got this year.

Wild Goose
Cardboard Leo Ace

Post by Wild Goose » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:34 am

*slinks into the thread*

*coughs uncomfortably*

So, uh, hi guys. I'm back. ^_^;;

Am currently working through the backlog and trying to get caught up on the RPG - can't believe it's still running! This RPG's gonna be hitting about ten years soon, won't it?

And yeah, my life finally stabilised. In part because I've run out of grandparents. -_-;; Long story. <.<

I'm guessing there won't be any openings for new players anytime soon, so I'm just observing. ^_^;

mcred23
Traitor Villain

Post by mcred23 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:23 pm

:shock: Talk about someone I never expected to see pop back up. Still, cool to see ya. I think technically there are some open spots, and lord knows I won't turn down any chance to pawn off some NPC's or something to lighten my load, so if you are interested in any of that stuff (Or just want to reminisce about Ye Ol' Days), PM me.

And yes, I'm still working on posts. Hoping this week, but life, blah blah blah. :|

Also, it's not been ten years (This time ten years ago, Goose, we were just starting to run around Perth! :mrgreen:), but we will hit our 8th anniversary in about two weeks... so yeah. 8)

Wild Goose
Cardboard Leo Ace

Post by Wild Goose » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:56 am

Oh wow, Perth! Haha, that brings up memories - that was I think the first RP I used Jack David, where I blew up Perth Base with a GM[G]'s reactor and a lucky beam rifle shot. ^_^;; Man, time really flies.

Anyway yeah, I'll PM you and we'll see if we can't work something out. 8)

Darkapostle222
Mecha Flunky

Post by Darkapostle222 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:38 pm

Hey, new guy here. Got to say that I'm rather interested in the RP here, especially since it's set in the Gryps War. I guess my question is how active it is? I've got an idea for a character (Titan, of course) but I don't want to get my hopes up if there's not a lot of recent activity.

So is this going strong? Are there openings in the Titans or other factions?

mcred23
Traitor Villain

Post by mcred23 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:43 pm

Darkapostle222 wrote:So is this going strong?
Honestly, at this point, no. :(

Between work and school, I haven't had the time (And quite honestly, the drive) to keep up with everything, but exactly what's going to happen at this point is something I've yet to determine. I was planning on trying to figure out what our options are, and seeing what anyone who is still keeping an eye on this thing may have to say on this matter in a much more thought out post a week or so from now, once I finish class for the summer, which I'm still going to do, but if anyone has any questions, thoughts, comments, death threats, or whatever they'd like to put in prior to that, go for it.

The Loser Villain

Post by The Loser Villain » Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:34 pm

I'm still here. Always will be! Just let me know what you (ya'll) want to do.

"You bastard... You don't get it! I'm... I'm special! I'm famous! I'm the king of mock battles!" Patrick

Crosswire40
Lackey GM Pilot

Post by Crosswire40 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:27 am

Holy crap, what the heck is this place dead!?! Some of these topics haven't been posted in at least two years? Can anyone tell me what happened?

mcred23
Traitor Villain

Post by mcred23 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:25 am

I let the thought out mega-post I implied in my previous post slide, partly cause life is keeping me busy, and since no one posted or bombarded me with messages or anything I didn't think anyone was in any kind of hurry or gave much of a damn. :|

However, don't think for a second I've forgotten about anything going on here. Now that someone has kicked my butt, I'll have that thing up in the next day or two, basically spelling out the situation at hand and what our options are going forward.

mcred23
Traitor Villain

Post by mcred23 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:50 am

Well, I'm in a boring class and had the time to do this, so here we go.

So, yeah, Tales from the Frontlines, and basically the entire RPG section, is in a medically induced coma. First, a piece of minor house keeping, you'll notice the other RPG sections (General and AU) are now gone. That was done as part of some forum housekeeping, removing some sections (Namely those and the old Junk Guild) that were basically unused.

Now, for the real matter, TftF.

There are two interconnected matters that kept delaying all my posts doing everything (Aside from daily crap like school and work and life). The first is the sheer workload of it all. At my last tallying of it, I was controlling characters that were supposed to be handled by a minimum of three separate players (Fritz was handling the bulk, with Cardi and/or Wedge and myself assisting him), and that's just talking about the ones we planned for, never mind the characters dropped by other players we inherited. That isn't really anything new, but I've mentioned a few times that I've never been comfortable handling characters for other players, so that was part of the problem. A bigger one has to do with that, even with the characters the Trinary was supposed to handle, those were almost always intended to be done by Fritz and (Insert Third Stooge Here). They did all the planning, they had all the details worked out. Now, as some of you know or may remember, we had almost everything planned out for the final battle, but a lot of the minutiae and exact details of things were either in their minds or are literally buried in chat logs that are almost impossible to search through. They used to joke about me not entirely paying attention when they went over things unrelated to my characters (Such as me not reading the Titan threads... years ago... wow I feel old :shock:), and there was some truth to that. Frankly, I'm not fully versed on all they had planned, which adds to my discomfort when it comes to writing those parts.

Now, if pressed, I could get the majority of what they had planned out and create something fairly close to what Fritz, Cardi, and Wedge had envisioned, bringing about this final cataclysmic battle we had planned and built up to for years and years, but that brings us to our next problem: Sentinel.

We planned on going forward into Sentinel, as you all know. Well, we also had plans to continue on after that, too :mrgreen:. Our flexible skeleton of a story plan for Sentinel was finished, for the most part, in March of 2012. We've got the course of events plotted out well, we've got a bunch of characters created, some ours, some from other people, and Fritz had even created a good amount of art for it...

But as things currently stand, it's unplayable.

Why? Although it was a Trinary group effort, Fritz wrote probably 75% of the thing. And all those characters I mentioned? Well, of the major ones (Either new or being carried over from the current RPG), Fritz was going to be controlling around a dozen of them, almost all of whom would be very important to one faction or another, and hell, he was still working on fleshing out some of them and even creating new ones when he disappeared into the wind. Then we still have the characters that were going to go to Cardi, Wedge, wonton, and my own, and while not all were important and a good number could be dropped or whatever to lighten the workload, it would still be far too many for me to do on my own. Sentinel, from the start, was planned with the assumption that the Trinary would be intact, and without the other guys, it's just not possible to run.

Here is my next dilemma. When it became clear about a year or so ago that I'm basically running this thing on my own, I started toying with the idea of rewriting our Sentinel story, to reflect the lesser number of players (Both from the stand point of running the whole thing, and players in general) and make it easier to run. However, the ending of this thing and Sentinel's story are so tied together, I'd literally have to start making changes in any future posts (Both to speed up ending this thing and set up future plans) for anything to work out, and given how long we worked on Sentinel and how much I like the story we created, I've been highly reluctant to do that.

So let me ask now, what would you all like to do?

As far as continuing this thing, there are a few different options. I could start changing our plans, leading to a highly reduced (For lack of a better word offhand) version. I considered the idea of just doing a big long post explaining what happens to everyone, but that would lack the drama of everything and be nowhere near as cool, although it would be faster and easier to do, with less risk of me screwing things up. There is also no reason we still have to continue on into Sentinel. We could end this thing (Now or with some kind of proper ending), and leave Sentinel (Rewritten or not) for another time, or do some other setting if that is what people wanted. In that case, I'd probably do a series of posts explaining the story and showcasing all the art, because there is no way in hell I'm going to let all that stuff go to waste, not with all the work put into it (Which, FYI, is something we kind of planned on doing after TftF ended, going back doing some "director's commentary" on a few things and explaining how some things went down, which I could still do if anyone gave a damn about that sort of stuff). I'm open to almost anything at this point. I'm still interested in doing something, even if it's another RPG, but I'll let it be known now I can't run something big entirely on my own. I'd be more than willing to help out with something, or even run something smaller (Kind of like our original plan for this thing, nearly nine years ago on the old board) but I've never liked handling more than a handful of characters, so make of that what you will.

Well... In my mind, I had more to say, and probably better ways to say it, but I'm drawing a blank at the moment. If they come to me later, I'll post 'em. So, if anyone has any ideas or opinions, please, voice them here. :)

EDIT: Oh yeah, one thing that I wanted to include: What happened to the rest of the Trinary? Cardi and Wedge are alive and well. Cardi posts on Facebook fairly often, and AFAIK is still in Korea or was until recently. Wedge messaged me a few weeks ago, so he's alive, but no longer into RPG stuff. Wonton I haven't seen anywhere since he last posted here. As for Fritz, I know he was still around, since he and I both tend to lurk on the same parts of SomethingAwful, but even there I haven't seen him in a while so I have no idea what's going on with him.

And, in case this hasn't convinced you, I'm still alive, but finally back in school full time, and working as much as possible. Getting older sucks. :P

Crosswire40
Lackey GM Pilot

Post by Crosswire40 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:32 pm

So let me ask now, what would you all like to do?
I know I'm basically some new stranger who wandered into all this, but considering what I've seen and what you described, I think it would be best to just try and finish this and leave Sentinel for another time when this place gets some more fresh blood.

Running Sentinel with that kind of workload the sheer depreciation in player numbers and participation would be more work on your part then anything else. I think it would be best to tuck Sentinel away and start a new project, something smaller and more in mind for the current availability of players.

I'm really hoping that VOTOMS roleplay comes back to life, but if it doesn't I'd be perfectly willing to join something else, I'm pretty widely versed in mecha knowledge. Hell I've watched Space Castaway Vifam for Pete's sake, most people haven't even heard of that!

The Loser Villain

Post by The Loser Villain » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:03 am

Hey hey, so I'll go with the majority on this (granted that might end up being 3 of us), but let's try and finish this off and either do something else and wait on Sentinal.

I'm with you Red, I never liked having a bunch of characters to post for, especially as I picked up a few along the way. Usually tried to kill them at the stories earliest convenience.

I'd love to see what was drawn up for the Sentinel game as I remember the rush as we were drawing to a close and looking forward to being at the start of the next game.

wonton bob
HiMAT Spammer

Post by wonton bob » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:12 pm

Crosswire40 wrote:
Hell I've watched Space Castaway Vifam for Pete's sake, most people haven't even heard of that!
What's Votoms?? :wink:

Hey, Big Red. Curiosity brought me back to see if you guys (You and Fritz mainly) finished TftF. Frustrated with one or two posts trickling in a month I left the RPG. Focused my time on tracking down Max Baxter...he's somewhere in Asia. I'd be in for something small, don't have time to juggle a bunch of characters. As for the ending, like I said Time is not on my side. My 2 jobs keep me busy till Sunday so a long post as to what happened is fine....shame though being a part of this for 8 years I feel it deserves better. Sentinel would have been way cool from what I remember from our discussions but until more peeps join or Fritz returns from space it's best to put it on hold.

You still in high school Red?
"War is some crazy sh**" - alexander the great

Cardi Doorl
Traitor Villain

Post by Cardi Doorl » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:43 am

Hi guys. Is there really nobody left?
RPG TRINARY: Gaia
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: Cardi Doorl

Make sure to check out the RPG section!

Crosswire40
Lackey GM Pilot

Post by Crosswire40 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:54 am

Cardi Doorl wrote:Hi guys. Is there really nobody left?
I'm still around! Though I'm not sure I'm the one you're looking for.

ZGMF-X28A Nu-Liberty

Post by ZGMF-X28A Nu-Liberty » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:46 am

Still here, still waiting patiently.
"That's the problem with plutonium, Craven; it's limited in its application. It's not user-friendly. But as a vehicle for regaining one's self-respect; oh, it's got a lot going for it!"
- Darius Jedburgh, Edge of Darkness, Episode 6, Fusion