General Fanfiction Discussion 2: Electric Boogaloo

Your own tale of two mecha.
Inferno

Re: General Fanfiction Discussion 2: Electric Boogaloo

tehprognoob wrote:If you mean replying to your own thread to tell readers that you updated, then it's fine. I saw a story once where only the author kept responding, lol.
That's actually what it feels mine would look like. Granted, I have yet to give the readers something worth talking aobut yet...
tehprognoob

POST DELETED
Last edited by tehprognoob on Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Faithful soldier of the Hatsune Miku Scout Force

ShadowCell

Could you two quit bitching about not getting responses to your fanfiction? It's obnoxiously passive-aggressive and makes it all the more likely you'll be ignored in the future. Thanks.
Inferno

Oh, now, I honestly don't care about responses. I can read views and such. I was just making a self-deprecating remark. Besides, anybody I know will tell you I lack the subtlety to be passive-aggressive.

I'm not trying to pick an argument or anything, just don't want people to get the wrong idea about me.
ShadowCell

I know, I was talking about tehprognoob and GX7.

Honestly, you two, if there's nobody here who seems to be interested in your stories, take them somewhere else instead of whining about it.
Inferno

Although I would like to say, with all the subtlety of a Roid Raging Khornate Bezerker on PCP, I thrive off of constructive criticism. So if, at ANY time there is something you want to say, feel free to. I have an open-door policy to ideas.
tehprognoob

Y'know, I personally don't see it as whining/bitching so much as a quick laugh at the lack of replies, in the same way as Inferno; a, as he/she said, self-deprecating remark. If it gets on your nerves then I apologize. Also, you're reading too much into my posts. I do not seek to be passively aggressive against the lack of responses. I understand that it is probably my own lack of skill at writing or my poor judgement in posting here.

Let's hope that there are no more clashes such as this in the future.

Thank you.

EDIT: Sorry to drag you (however slightly) into my silliness, Inferno.

Rob DS Zeta

If people are disappointed by not getting reviews/replies, then maybe they should just do what I do (at other places, not here) and take notice of their number of views?

I write a fic on FFdotnet that had over 1100 hits last month, yet it got... maybe 7 reviews from 5 different people. You just can't let the lack of words get you down. There's nothing in the world that says someone has to review a fanfic that they like. Nobody gets paid to do it, so you really can't expect anyone to do it, can you?

Of course, there's always belief in common courtesy, but this is the internet. You can't really expect that, either.

However, I have found that, the more that you write, the more reviews/replies that you get. I'm not sure if this applies here, though.

Moral of the post is: Don't let what others say (or lack thereof) get you down. If you really want to write it, just write it.
*insert witty eyecatch here*
Rob DS Zeta

GX7 wrote:How do you explain that Endgame: MG3 got zero hits, while it has been favorited by one reader and has gotten two reviews? Explain THAT to me, because I should have some hits for that story on FF.Net.
Sounds like a traffic glitch. Did you check the hits for last month?
tehprognoob

there was a humongous system failure in FF just a few days ago. All traffic was glitched. But don't worry about it, GX. It's the internet; somebody's gonna read it sooner or later. Just write for fun, like I do.
Now can we get off the subject?

EDIT: and not updating for three days will push your fic to the bottom.

Rob DS Zeta

Challenge writing is bad for your health, IMO.

Then again, I might only be saying that because I write really slowly. :?
Last edited by Rob DS Zeta on Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShadowCell

GX7 wrote:I've never been writing for fun. I write for attention, it is how I've been doing it for years. I do write for a challenge in contests but the only contest I've been writing in is Mockingjay.Net forums Primrose Contest, to which I've only won once in November by surprise. I didn't expect myself to win, but I did.
Well, that explains a lot.

Putting aside the whole point that writing for attention is the wrong reason entirely, if you want attention, then focus on writing better stories. Whining about how people don't read your lousy stories is only going to make people want to read what you write less. Writing better stories that stand out from the schlock that is 95% of what you find on the Internet and can speak for themselves will get you attention.

Now, let that be the end of that subject.
Rob DS Zeta

He's the mod. It's his job.
tehprognoob

Lol GX I just love how you seemed to have just realized that Shadow's a mod XD

ANYWAY...

Anyone know of some trustworthy material on pre-Celestial Being Gundam 00 history? Like the Solar Power wars and such. I'm entertaining a notion of an 08th MS Team-ish prequel to 00 now that my Eva fic's coming to a finish, but I don't quite have a lot of history to work with, since all the 00 shows and movies are about the Celestial Being era.

ShadowCell

Entertaining as that post of yours was, GX7, I have deleted it. I told you to drop it, now drop it.
ShadowCell

Then you'll be banned and nobody will miss you.

Next post you make on this discussion will be deleted. If you still feel the need to bitch at me, do it over PMs.
Rob DS Zeta

(is done rofling at a certain post)

In good news, I've once again started my productive streak for Gundam SEED. I have a good feeling about the fic I'm writing. This time, though, I'm not going to start posting until I'm 3 or 4 chapters in, so that I can build a dedication to it before posting. I don't want this one to end up like my last one. *shudders*

Question: Would beam pistols (not unlike Gundam Dynames's) be believable at the beginning of Gundam SEED?
tehprognoob

I'd say they should be okay, just with really low energy output, so no shooting down a cruiser in one shot with that thing. Dynames's pistols are a different thing altogether.

Gone Astray

Rob DS Zeta wrote:Question: Would beam pistols (not unlike Gundam Dynames's) be believable at the beginning of Gundam SEED?
I'd agree with tehprognoob. The Strike E featured the "Shorty" rifles in C.E. 73, and considering how fast they developed tech in SEED, I wouldn't see it as a problem.
"For who would lose, though full of pain, this intellectual being--those thoughts that wander through eternity; to perish rather, swallowed up and lost in the wide womb of uncreated night, devoid of sense and motion?"
Rob DS Zeta

Gone Astray wrote:I'd agree with tehprognoob. The Strike E featured the "Shorty" rifles in C.E. 73, and considering how fast they developed tech in SEED, I wouldn't see it as a problem.
The low energy output is a given, but I haven't seen Stargazer. How powerful were the "Shorty"s?