General Fanfiction Discussion 2: Electric Boogaloo

Your own tale of two mecha.
ShadowCell

General Fanfiction Discussion 2: Electric Boogaloo

What it says on the tin. This is the thread for talking about fanfiction, issues in fanfiction, bitching about the writing process, and test-driving concepts and outlines before you sink all the work of writing into them.
Nitramy

Re: General Fanfiction Discussion 2: Electric Boogaloo

How do you do power-balancing when making a crossover story without massively gimping one side?

I've been trying to balance one side versus the other out, and it's getting to be rather frustrating.
Spoiler
yes, this is still the Naruto x Nanoha fic I'm talking about
"No, it is not your lack of experience that is your greatest flaw. It is your disdain. Your defeats will not come from those more brilliant than you. They will come from the patient, the plodding, the mediocre." - Shibumi
rebel_cheese

Why do people keep calling sequel threads "Electric Boogaloo"? That movie sucked anyway. XD
MURRUE: Infallible accuracy?? I thought you just usually shot all your weapons at random and they just happened to hit stuff.

KIRA: What do you think this is; a cartoon?
ShadowCell

rebel_cheese wrote:Why do people keep calling sequel threads "Electric Boogaloo"? That movie sucked anyway. XD
"General Fanfiction Discussion 2: The Wrath of Electric Boogaloo Returns Harder With a Tokyo Drifting Vengeance" was too long.
tehprognoob

What was wrong with the old one?
Faithful soldier of the Hatsune Miku Scout Force

ShadowCell

it had reached thirty pages, and the forum policy is to close threads down once they hit that point and start new ones, so that those threads don't become unreadable.
rebel_cheese

ShadowCell wrote:
rebel_cheese wrote:Why do people keep calling sequel threads "Electric Boogaloo"? That movie sucked anyway. XD
"General Fanfiction Discussion 2: The Wrath of Electric Boogaloo Returns Harder With a Tokyo Drifting Vengeance" was too long.
Ah, I see. XD

I have one question: how do people interpret the character of Gerald Garcia? I'm writing about Artemis right now, and the character kinda baffles me.

In my fanfic Bloodlines, the characters of Cagalli and Kira have been flipped around. Cagalli's the Coordinator thrust into the cockpit, and Kira is the prince of Orb, and the fic explores on how the story would change, and what would stay the same, from such a flip.

Problem is, Garcia is a baffling character when he shouldn't be. I mean, he's straightforward. He wants the Archangel and the Strike for himself, and he's overconfident in the protection that Artemis offers, and Nicol pwns Garcia. But I can't quite figure out how Garcia would treat Cagalli. Maybe it's the hammy way Scott McNeil voices him in the dub, but I get the sense that Garcia's a bit of a pervert. He grabbed Miriallia right away instead of picking on any of the bazillion men in the room. And it didn't seem like a ploy to get one of the men to volunteer himself as the pilot. It was like he wanted Miriallia to be the pilot.

This gives me the sense that Garcia would likely do something to Cagalli in this situation, but I don't know what. Plus, Cagalli, in this story, is nowhere near the technical expert that Kira is, and she relies on Kira's technical expertise to run the Strike. So when she shows she doesn't quite know what she's doing, how would Garcia and his men accept that a Coordinator is flawed?

Maybe I'm making a mountain out of a molehill, but this is driving me insane.
MURRUE: Infallible accuracy?? I thought you just usually shot all your weapons at random and they just happened to hit stuff.

Rob DS Zeta

I can imagine that Cagalli would likely do the same thing to Garcia that Kira wound up doing to him, albeit in excess.

Garcia is a greedy tub of lard whose biggest interest is to advance the Eurasian Federation's power (hence why he wants the Archangel, the Strike, and poor little Kira). The problem is that he's not nice about it. The fact that he commands a base that is pretty much impenetrable, he's cocky and thinks that he's the hottest snot in the Earth Sphere.

The fact that the Blitz comes in and causes the rocking of Garcia's world is one of the reasons I like Nicol and the black Gundam so much.

As for his reaction to Cagalli not being all 'engineering genius', he'd probably do what he tried to do Kira and go in for the Faruken Pawnch. This would, in turn, lead to what I mentioned in the first sentence of this post.

Pretty much, you don't really have to change anything. You can cut straight to the chase with Cagalli calling herself out before Garcia even goes for Miri, but it's your choice.
*insert witty eyecatch here*
rebel_cheese

Rob DS Zeta wrote:I can imagine that Cagalli would likely do the same thing to Garcia that Kira wound up doing to him, albeit in excess.

Garcia is a greedy tub of lard whose biggest interest is to advance the Eurasian Federation's power (hence why he wants the Archangel, the Strike, and poor little Kira). The problem is that he's not nice about it. The fact that he commands a base that is pretty much impenetrable, he's cocky and thinks that he's the hottest snot in the Earth Sphere.

The fact that the Blitz comes in and causes the rocking of Garcia's world is one of the reasons I like Nicol and the black Gundam so much.

As for his reaction to Cagalli not being all 'engineering genius', he'd probably do what he tried to do Kira and go in for the Faruken Pawnch. This would, in turn, lead to what I mentioned in the first sentence of this post.

Pretty much, you don't really have to change anything. You can cut straight to the chase with Cagalli calling herself out before Garcia even goes for Miri, but it's your choice.
Thank you for your analysis of Gerald Garcia. This helped me immensely when writing Artemis, and I think the conclusion of Artemis will be very satisfying.

Big B

I haven't watched SEED in a while, but Garcia seemed, as many officers on Earth did, to be a slimy douchebag. It would be fun to see him get Cagalli's panties in a bunch.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with Gundam Legion right now. I'd like to finish it, but I'm dry on mass development for the title. I've been slowly working on a SEED universe fic set in the mid-80's CE. The main protagonist is a Natural living in Orb who joins their military. Shinn also comes back to Orb and eventually enlists in their military as well.

It's still in development, but I'm trying to spend as much time as possible on that stage before getting deep into writing the thing. It's definitely a big commitment to do something like this, but it is fun.
tehprognoob

well thank god ^_^ RoE was already overkill with the religious symbolism: I could talk about it all day long.
Again, plan out some sort of storyline, develop your characters slowly, don't tell us stuff outright; sounds amateurish if you do. Make the readers slowly understand them bit by bit. Throw plenty of juicy baits around, esp. at the end of a chapter bordering on a major plot shift. Have fun writing.
What else?
Make art for it, too :D

tehprognoob

Just wondering, is there a fanfic preread request thread or should someone start one?

Big B

GX7 wrote:Thanks Prog, and the story idea I originally had was to involve the Grigori and Nephilim, they aren't really religious symbols as they were never really in the Bible. Though mentioned and there are some people who do know about both groups.
Actually, the Nephilim are briefly mentioned in either Samuel 1 or 2 or Kings 1 or 2. I'd have to look it up for the exact verse(s), but it is there.
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

*rubs eyes*

Holy shit. Okay, I just updated the Index. It's been a YEAR since I last did that, and the stories have really been building up. (Mostly thanks to GX7 jizzing all over the forum with his stories.) Anyway, from now on if you guys notice an update hasn't occurred in a month or so, please send me a little reminder so I don't cause myself this much suffering in the future. I'm sorry for not updating any sooner. 2010 was an extremely rough year for me. I don't expect 2011 to be any better, but it'll be what I make of it.

(God damn. You know what? All the stories here have extremely long titles!! What's with that?)

With the Index updated, everyone please look through it to check for typos or errors for your entries. If there are updates/changes to be made, please PM me.
GX7 wrote:And I've been thinking for a while on this, but should I rewrite my Gundam Omega story? It's just that now that I'm already done with two books of the Hunger Games trilogy, I've been given some good inspiration from both of them. Plus it could be written longer to expand the storyline and characters' personalities.
You're really gonna rewrite it and make me reread all of that? If you're rewriting it, I hope it's to genuinely improve the writing instead of making it feel more "inspired" from the books.

As for myself, I'm kind of in a sort of procrastination purgatory. I got a bit more than a page of The Wind done, but I'm not feeling what I need to finish it. I'm wanting to write chapter 5 for The Sword, but I haven't planned it out too much yet. More than that, I'm really wanting to write the first chapter for an "original" Gundam project I've been working on. It's much smaller in scope than The Sword, so it's possible the project could be done relatively sooner.

So for those familiar with my works, (I could count you guys on one hand), which of the three should I do first?
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
tehprognoob

poor, poor Sera.
My Code Geass/Evangelion crossover is going on in about 40 hours.

Areku

Seraphic wrote:So for those familiar with my works, (I could count you guys on one hand), which of the three should I do first?
Personally, I'd like to see more of The Wind, but if you're not feeling it then I'd hate to see you push it. It's the sort of story that just breaks down without the right enthusiasm. Following that, I think you'd gain more as a writer from finishing something, from knowing that you've completed something. If you think you can do that with the original work before The Sword, I say go for it. I trust you to make it not suck 8)
Inferno

Just a quick ettiquite question. When I update Long Journey Home, would it be obnoxious to bump the thread to announce it?
ShadowCell

That would be fine, since I imagine you would have a link to the chapter in that post too, so you're still posting new content for the story, it's just hosted off-site.
Inferno

Well, not in -that- post. I figure it would be more convenient to keep all the chapters in one post for the readers.
tehprognoob

If you mean replying to your own thread to tell readers that you updated, then it's fine. I saw a story once where only the author kept responding, lol.