Seraphic's Section - digital art livestreams

The place to share your artwork.
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

Re: Seraphic's Section - The Epic Ballad 4.16.10

Increase volume. =o

Pay attention to my comment about bass. If it's too strong (you likely have enhanced bass on your computer) try listening through headphones instead. And yes, I had to intentionally die to capture that footage in the middle. If you look closely, I actually manage to kill Roy in one of the transitions.

Looking at the dates, I realized that this project spanned just over 6 months, and it either ended up really cool or really corny. Sorry. I'm not really one to draw mecha musume but I was inspired to make this video by my friend wavemasterryx. Overall, I learned that video editing is probably the hardest, most difficult endeavor you could undertake. Ever wonder why there are so many sh*tty AMVs out there? It's because it's so damn hard to do well! Jesus, even the tiniest effect you would think there would be an obvious way to do it, but no!

Oh god, and when you're done, that's not even it! Then you have to RENDER. Then we're fighting with size, file type, aspect ratio and resolution. I finished this video and rendered it on Wednesday. The file size was 1.18 gigs, but the resolution and quality and everything was perfect. Uploading this beast would take 6 or 7 hours. For me, the upload failed THREE TIMES. Then I uploaded it from school (due to our badass connection speed) and the video uploaded in 30 minutes. But youtube didn't accept the file type. So today I went home and spent my entire night rendering into a different file type, which for some goddamn reason screwed up the aspect ratio, so I had to READJUST THE ENTIRE VIDEO BECAUSE OF IT.

"FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU............!!!" D:

There, that's how miserable it is. I hope you can now appreciate how difficult it is to make AMVs and GMVs!

Anyway, here is artwork:

Activation
This is the only one of the early ones that I like. In fact, I like it so much that it's the background on my phone. Even cooler than that, my phone has a touch screen that slides side to side for extra menu options. When I do that, the image shifts from center focus to showing the left or right halves of the image. A really neat effect. =D

It was really just a test image for my ability to draw the parts and see how detailed I could get Strayed-tan to be. I needed something moody to start the video, so this was it. I love the expression, but in all of these images her hair is generally a bit thin for my liking.

Assault
This was an unplanned image, but I drew it on the fly to fix one of the scene transitions. Despite how simple it is, I rather like it.

Normals
Anybody recognize them?? I'm guessing not. A rather bad image that proves I shouldn't be drawing comics.

Quickboost
...this one is garbage. I'm not even going to talk about it. =/

Ochiro!
This one was a real balancing act. How do you make someone wear a YOUGONNADIE!! face while still making them still appealing? I feel I should have made this a bit scarier. The perspective is not quite what I wanted.

Death
Oh boy, this one was tough. I had to redo it once or twice. The posture was difficult, but when I started to go into the damage details, it got rather interesting. No, her arms are still there, they're just tucked beside her torso. You can see the bands over her upper arms. Those BFF shoulders are really wide.

3,764 Bullets
Gun kata, lol. This refers to Strayed's total loadout, two gatlings with 1000 each, two Cantuta with 792 each, then one Spica with 180. I'd normally have two Spica pulse guns, but I obviously traded one for a hangar blade. Cantuta is probably the most difficult MG in the game to draw. Motorcobra would have been so much easier, haha, but Cantuta is my baby. I plan to do a study of gun kata using Strayed later on.

Overboost
I wanted to get a full body shot, so this was it. Is it sorta weird that I still think I'm one of the worst artists around here? Anyway, I had fun with this. I hope you understand the pespective on her legs, as her right knee is coming forward. The parts are mostly accurate, but I know I got the belts on the gatlings wrong. I apologize for never being able to properly draw cylinders.

Down time
So she's either a normal girl with all the parts scaled down to fit, or she's a giant 40ft tall girl with everything scaled up. Whatever floats your boat. I just wanted a mellow image for my credit roll, and what better way to relax than take off your pants and clean your guns? Yes, those are shuriken and a daisho set. You didn't know those are in the game? Get too close and Strayed will throw a fucking shuriken between your eyes. I have no experience drawing feet. Sorry. And I hope she looks surprised. Not sure if I got that right. Also, I've never cleaned a gun before, so I apologize if she's apparently doing anything stupid in that regard.

Anyway, this was a long and difficult project, but I just love the game and the song too much to not finish. At least once, I recommend that you read the lyrics and listen to the song without the visuals. The mix is just fantastic. (I'm rather mad that youtube got the content ID wrong on my video....) I guess I like songs that praise how awesome your lady is, lol.

Overall, I hope Strayed left a good impression on you, and that she is more than a mindless skank-hoe in skimpy armor. If you want to get to know her better, this video would probably be best, but this one is my favorite video with Strayed in it. I don't think I'll be doing much more mecha musume in the future, but this project was real special to me.

Check out the images I used for study in my screenshot thread if you like.

=o
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
crashlegacy14
Location: In the Zaku's cockpit. Yes, the one that just exploded.

gah. I'm so damn out of it I typed up a response and forgot to submit it. any rate here's the short version.

Very bad ass. this gives me even more reason to finish that MFL Wing design. in fact it's so beastly the 3,764 bullets image is now my desktop's background. the only complaint I have is when your Ochiro image comes up the camera shake seems out of place, I know the camera does shake some during the assault armor activation, but this seemed a bit over done.

any rate, here's hoping I hit the submit button this time and I can get to sleep. gah. I know I won't be able to .... curse you and your badassery.

....I really need to get my hands on a copy of for answer. I miss playing it so damn much.
Crash's Mecha Design Works
Crash's Mecha Based RPG
-----------------//-----------
ShadowCell wrote: Perspective. It's great.
CrashLegacy14 wrote: my immortal enemy: Perspective.
tehprognoob

Sorry 'bout the lame joke on the "A Gundam is Not God" thing. (Pretty late...)
Anyway, I've just watched endless waltz and have realized that...
Is it because of bad animation that companies rely on an awesome story to sell?
It seems that with better animation, storylines are being sidelined...
Just feel like spamming...Mmm...
Faithful soldier of the Hatsune Miku Scout Force

Seraphic

*scratches head* This really the best place to talk about this??

I'm not sure why EW brought up that thought for you. Both the animation and storytelling seemed perfectly good in my opinion.

There may not be any particular correlation between story quality and animation quality. (Keep in mind art/design quality and animation quality are completely different things.) How good your animation is depends mostly on funding and also the technology available. In some cases a creator may just want to get a story out but does not have funding for great animation.

I can't say I have a real opinion about higher animation quality foregoing storylines because I haven't watched any recent anime. It was sort of like this in some of the 80s and 90s era anime that were just meant to be spectacles for the senses rather than being a good story.

As for me, I tend to like what most people would consider 4-star anime. They're not extremely big budget and they lack hype, so they tend to have more creative control over what the shows are about and don't really pander to the audience. I don't know. It's a rather complex subject I can't really explain well.

Anyway, I'm working on something, but it's taking a long time because I'm distracted by other things. I also got a second job. I will finish the project for you soon. After this drawing I want to write some chapters for The Wind and The Sword. =/

THINGS OF INTEREST:

lol
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

Seraphic

Doodle from when I've got nothing to do at work.

Her name is Marian. She's from my project "As Was Written" along with Gita, whom none of you remember. Marian is not much of a swordsman, as that short sword is really just for channeling her casting. She specializes in earth magic.

She accidentally came out a bit prettier than I intended, 'cause Gita is supposed to be more beautiful in comparison. Oh well. A good looking character isn't a bad thing. I like the bare shoulders and her mini-cape. Of course, I'll be refining the character design over time.

I'm sorry for not being around, sirs and madams. I'm working two jobs and I'm about to move to a new apartment this weekend. Marian is just a side doodle as I am preparing a larger project that I will post next. I'd say the other piece is about 60% complete. Thank you for your patience.

Thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiings of INTEREST!!

The Amazing Lyre Bird

Okay, I was just fucking with you. Here's the real deal.

My favorite is the power drill. And the motorized camera.
-Antares

tehprognoob

Re: Seraphic's Section - Seraph Who?? 7.19.10

I WTF'd. :S
EDIT: And what's with the far-away look in her (the doodled girl's) eyes? She seems sad, or kinda...um...dazed or really, really tired.
Faithful soldier of the Hatsune Miku Scout Force

Strike_Rouge_Mk2

WHERE HAVE YOU BEEEEEN!?
Zeonic Glory wrote:Sorry to ask this but, what does kawaii mean?
Be kawaii and visit the Art and Multimedia section.
Seraphic

Strike_Rouge_Mk2 wrote:WHERE HAVE YOU BEEEEEN!?
I've been busting my ass working and moving to my new apartment. I just finished explaining where I've been, lol. When I get some time I'll try to review everyone's works.
tehprognoob wrote:And what's with the far-away look in her (the doodled girl's) eyes? She seems sad, or kinda...um...dazed or really, really tired.
I guess it's a more common expression in modeling or fashion. (Uh...I'll explain that later.) Otherwise, I kinda prefer neutral or ambiguous expressions on my characters, particularly if it's just a design sheet where nothing in particular is happening. I don't really like the typical expressions where the character might look seductive or really, really excited for no particular reason. I also like to think that my characters are complex and layered, and real people wear ambiguous expressions, too, right?

Anyway, I've got nothing to do this weekend, so hopefully I'll get a lot of stuff done. No internet at home right now, by the way. But I can still lurk from my phone. =)

Yesterday was my birthday.

Where are my presents?! >=o
-Antares

crashlegacy14

Re: Seraphic's Section - >=o 7.27.10

$#&@! yet another reason to get around to drawing the MFL version of your wing.
Crash's Mecha Based RPG
Strike_Rouge_Mk2

Seraphic wrote:
Strike_Rouge_Mk2 wrote:WHERE HAVE YOU BEEEEEN!?
I've been busting my ass working and moving to my new apartment. I just finished explaining where I've been, lol. When I get some time I'll try to review everyone's works.
I know, I just like to bother you.
Yesterday was my birthday.

Where are my presents?! >=o
Gasp. I must draw something for you NOW!! Cause' buying things is overrated.
Zeonic Glory wrote:Sorry to ask this but, what does kawaii mean?
Be kawaii and visit the Art and Multimedia section.
Seraphic

Re: Seraphic's Section - NEXT?! 8.28.10

Epyon Kai lineart

design sheet

Worth the wait?? =D

Anyway, I'm in a hurry, so I'll talk about this entry when/if I reply to someone. Comments and criticisms needed. I likely won't color it until I get a mouse that isn't all wonky. And after that I'll work on Epyon-tan. Or I'd rather call her Kai-tan for some reason. Kai-tan and HY-tan, lol.

Btw, I'm still getting used to my new monitor, so if the sizes of the images are strange to you, please tell me the dimensions you prefer. Thanks!

Wcch!! =o
-Antares

Strike Zero

Very neat.

I don't spy anything terribly wrong with it, though I do suspect you may have made the individual blades of the heat rod a tad too large (when compared to the ones on the original, they appear quite gigantic =o). Then again, I do like the overall look of the blades, and if that's the size you were shooting for to begin with, never mind me. =P

I will most certainly be looking forward to what you do with Kai-tan -- Mecha Musumes are kinda my thing, you know? =D
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
Seraphic

Strike Zero wrote:I don't spy anything terribly wrong with it, though I do suspect you may have made the individual blades of the heat rod a tad too large (when compared to the ones on the original, they appear quite gigantic =o). Then again, I do like the overall look of the blades, and if that's the size you were shooting for to begin with, never mind me. =P
Yeah, the blades are too large and too few in number, but I am too tired of this drawing to go back and fix it. I'd say the blades need to be about 2/3 of the size they are now, and there needs to at least be 9 segments instead of 6. Epyon typically has 12 or 14, but you know how the number tends to fluctuate.... I did want them to be a bit bigger than the original version, however. I'm having a hard time understanding how the heat rod is supposed to neatly retract under the shield the way it does in the show. Doesn't make sense! =/ Inuyasha magic, lol.

It's not actually a heat rod anymore, but I'll talk about that later when I post the profile info.

Okay, so I lied when I said I would wait for a better mouse to start coloring. The busted left-click is still annoying the crap out of me, though.... I need your help deciding between

this

and

this.

I had to use a gray instead of a black as the secondary color because black made the contrast too high, and that made it look funny.

Also, more random alternate schemes:

teh shadows
original colors
blue!
teh monster!!

Let me know what you think. Keep in mind there is no shading at all yet. I'll have the fully colored version and the profile posted during or after the weekend.

Specifically, I'd like to ask your opinion on the design changes made to Epyon, like its shoulders or wing binders, etc. Better or worse? Strange that I'm coloring everything white?
-Antares

Strike Zero

Seraphic wrote: I'm having a hard time understanding how the heat rod is supposed to neatly retract under the shield the way it does in the show. Doesn't make sense! =/ Inuyasha magic, lol.
You fool! One does not attempt to understand the logic-defying logic of mecha anime! You will find yourself descending into a soul-consuming purgatory of reasoning and despair FROM WHICH THERE IS NO ESCAPE!

*ahem* Anyway:
Seraphic wrote: I need your help deciding between

this

and

this.
I'd say to go with the first scheme -- having white as the primary color of the torso is a better match to the predominantly white coloring of the rest of the body.

I personally would have also used less grey in the helmet, but that's just me.

I certainly wasn't expecting a white scheme to be used instead of the traditional black and red, but it still looks quite cool regardless. Making it white does somewhat lessen the contrast the Epyon typically has with the Wing Zero (which is one of the things I feel made it such a great rival Gundam to begin with) but I recall you mentioning that this Epyon wasn't supposed to be the Seraphim's opposite anyway, so I suppose there's nothing wrong with that.

The shoulders you designed I like. They’re simple, but unique and fit very well with the design.

That said, I can't say that I prefer the changes you made to the Epyon's wings. I'm certain this doesn't need pointing out, but one of the most if not the most striking and defining characteristics of the Gundam Epyon are its dragon wings. Their curved, pointed design is unique, even among Gundams, and they give the suit a special kind of character that has yet to be replicated. (Well, I get the sense that they tried to do that when they designed the Gundam Virsago, but your mileage may vary as to how well they succeeded.) Your wings, meanwhile, while not badly designed, lack that kind of special flair and as a result don't come off as anything remarkable. They actually sort of remind me more of the Freedom Gundam's wings than anything else which, while not bad looking, aren't quite as visually impressive until they're open and all glowy-like. No offense intended, but I do think you probably could have done a little better with them.

Please don’t kill me. *ducks*
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
Seraphic

Strike Zero wrote:I recall you mentioning that this Epyon wasn't supposed to be the Seraphim's opposite anyway
Seraphim?? Who is the Seraphim? =o

:roll: :mrgreen:

I like these shoulders much better than the original. The old ones were strangely large for no particular reason (like nearly all of Okawara's shoulders....), so I wanted a more elegant and ergonomic design. I tried to fashion it like knight armor over the shoulder and upper arm.

No, I agree with you about the wings. I simply didn't copy over Okawara's wings because I felt it would make it a lazy re-design rather than a proper upgrade. I also think the old wings are very unique and iconic, but there's something about them that never sat right with me for some reason, and I can't figure it out. Is it the no thrusters? Or maybe the lack of articulation?? I don't know.

Yeah, I have no idea how this happened, but the wings did end up looking a lot like the Strike Freedom's for whatever reason. Very unintentional. =/

As for my reasoning behind my wing binder design, I was trying for a dragon wing (which are essentially bat wings, anyway) design that folded neatly. I wanted the folded config to give the Gundam a cape-like silhouette. Kinda like this.... Maybe I should have considered a more organic geometry. They'll look more interesting when they're unfolded, at least. =/

But anyway, we probably all share the same feelings on that matter.

Alright, well, I'm off to go hit myself in the balls with a three-section staff for screwing up the Epyon. Have a good night, everyone. =o
-Antares

Seraphic

Re: Seraphic's Section - melee pr0n 9.4.10

Double post, lol.

Gundam: Epyon Kai
Role: Close Assault Mobile Suit
Features: Epyon system, Assault thruster x2, mobile armor mode, (HYABUSA)
Armaments: Large beam sword x1 powered by reactor, Defenser rod x1, Shield x1; mounts Double Beam-Blade
Designers: Zechs Merquise
Description:

The Epyon was reconstructed in secret while Zechs Merquise was in hiding in Mars space. Like its previous incarnation the Epyon Kai casts aside cowardly gun weapons in favor of melee weapons. Knowing of the intentions of the Mars Federation, the Epyon was upgraded to enhance its melee skills even further, sporting more powerful weapons to engage multiple suits at once and to deal enormous damage in one strike. The new set of folding wing binders give the suit great speed and mobility with integrated thrusters and points of articulation. It is a Gundam that symbolizes strength and leadership. Eventually, the suit is adapted to use the HYABUSA combat computer in addition to the Epyon system once Zechs gains access to that technology.

Special notes:

Large beam sword "Epyon sword": The Epyon's main weapon is a large beam sword connected directly to the Gundam's reactor via a power cable that supplies both electricity and particles. It has a variable output which can range from the likes of a short sword or a blade near 200 ft in length at max output. While it makes a great dueling weapon, it is also designed to pierce armor and cleave through multiple foes.

Assault thruster: To augment the Epyon's fencing style, a hyper-compact array of thrusters was enclosed on the Gundam's forearms. They allow the suit to make extremely fast strikes in rapid succession, and also helps to power through enemy defenses if an opponent happens to defend with a saber. The thruster array helps the Epyon to control its large weapons with a frightening level of sophistication and finesse. However, the array of thrusters will overheat quickly due to its compact size that doesn't allow for much in the way of cooling.

Defenser rod: A sophisticated segmented weapon that is difficult to master. Unlike the heat rod, the defenser rod is not a super-heated weapon, but generates electromagnetic fields like the planet defenser. It cuts using powerful strikes and melts armor by conducting a strong electric current through opponents. In addition to being controlled like a regular whip, the magnetic field of the rod allows it to change direction in mid swing to catch opponents off guard. The blades of the rod can bypass the magnetic field of a planet defenser shield by emitting a negative field that negates that defense.

A special feature of the defenser rod is that its segments can separate and interact purely by the means of magnetic joints which are frictionless and have an enormous range of freedom. This also allows the defenser rod to freely change its length, with a max configuration of 400 ft. At this output, the weapon drains tremendous amounts of energy and is difficult to control, but it can strike through several battleships in one swing. The swings have to be carefully measured so one the bladed segments will land a hit and the target will not slip between the gaps. While the segments can act independently, they usually work in tandem as a whip and are not meant to deflect attacks like regular planet defensers. The segments contract and store underneath the Epyon's shield when not in use.

Double Beam-Blade: The Epyon's shield mounts a double beam-blade that acts as an off-hand sword in close-range combat. It can be used to surprise opponents and is mostly used to block other beam blades without fear of the main shield taking damage. The weapon's output is several times higher than a standard beam saber, but cannot rival the strength of the Gundam's main sword.

(Tribute colors.)

Starting to see a pattern here? :roll: :lol:

Yeah, the GW Gundams were pretty damn mean, but when you get someone like me to upgrade them, the only thing you can really produce are a bunch of horrible, evil monsters. I have a horrible tendency for extremism, apparently. Anyway, this took one day to do the base colors and one day to do the shading and to write the profile. Let me know what you think.

And sorry this project took so damn long. Some advice for fellow artists and writers: if you ever want to get anything done, you gotta lay off the poontang. -______-;

Okay. I'm off to start Kai-tan. It'd probably be smart to take a short break, though....
-Antares

Seraphic

Re: Seraphic's Section - melee pr0n 9.4.10

Triple post. =o

Kai-Tan's lineart is almost done. There's an effect to the drawing I'm not sure I should try to add with pencil or wait until it is in Shop. At any rate, I don't think I want to post the lineart, but will just post it up when it's all colored and stuff.

Preview for The Sword chapter 5.

This was a quick and dirty sketch that took a few hours. I remember having to take days to produce a picture of this quality a long time ago. =/

Anyway, I haven't much to say. Go on about your business. =o

Things of Interest!

=o
-Antares

Seraphic

Re: Seraphic's Section - 20k views?! 12.13.10

Quadruple post! =o

I never noticed this pass, but this thread's got 20,000+ views now. I suppose that's some sort of accomplishment. =) Anyway, some random art updates:

Marian in color

Her lineart was just laying out on my desk all week, so I felt like giving her some color. I'm rather satisfied with the color scheme, but I wasn't trying very hard with the technique. Using the smudge tool when shading the hair really helped it look better.

A "technical drawing" I did for "work".

...probably should have used a ruler, but I think it gets the point across....

Remember Strayed? I've started a gun kata study using her character. It will mostly be an excuse for practice with posture and fore-shortening. Here is the first in the series:

Stance 1

(They'll all be quick, dirty sketches.) You'll notice that this is the body suit worn under her armor. Try comparing it to the OB image above. She's using some extended Glocks rather than her usual Cantuta MGs. I had wanted to have her appearance be a bit more moe-style if only because it would be easier to draw, but I can't really shake old habits. Maybe later.... And I know the expressions are a bit screwy, so there's no need to mention.

Well, I guess that's all for now. I'll try to get a lot done over the break. Wcch. =o
-Antares

crashlegacy14

I've got no idea why but Marian is reminding me of Emma Sheen for some reason.... additionally I dig that mantel of hers.

I like how you're 'exterior' lines are much heavier then the interior ones. I can't remember where I've seen that before but it gives the lines a nice look. additionally if you keep that around when you get to adding complex/detailed background the added line weight will make it easier to define characters in a glance.

as far as the foreshortening I think you're not applying enough to the arms. though I could just be misreading the perspective, it's definitely a possibility. one thing you'd probably should do for these is include a thumbnail of the pose in another other angle (for example this once from a profile). In your next I suggest trying extreme examples of foreshortening, her pointing a weapon at the viewer.

I still need to get around to making more 'full' comments on your 'recent' mecha designs.
Crash's Mecha Based RPG
TemjinQC

Ah, I like your sketches, but they are a little too heavy handed I think. May be next time try to sketch with ball point pen, or 0.5mm, 0.7mm mechanical pencil would loosen the lines a bit.

Try out different kinds of pens and pencils, and have some fun with them. :)