Dark Duel's Shop-Fu and assorted artsy stuff

The place to share your artwork.
Dark Duel

Re: Dark Duel's Shop-Fu and assorted artsy stuff

Dark Duel wrote:And then there's this. Because why the heck not?
So I recently revisited this idea, recreating the same concept using the Epyon ver. Ka./Proto Zero MG lineart, and redrawing the wings to get more detailing in.
I did two color schemes, one a variant of Epyon's with a little more black, the other a partial palette-swap with a predominantly black color scheme with red detailing - much like the pic linked above.
These are the end results:

Epyon-based colors

Black/red colors. *cue theme music override*

Still don't have a name for the thing yet, nor do I know which color scheme I prefer, nor indeed whether I will even build this thing. But there it is.
Thoughts?

EDIT: Still 50/50 on the color scheme, but IBO gave me an idea for a name: Epyon Byleth, after the 13th Demon in the Ars Goetia.
Last edited by Dark Duel on Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Dark Duel

So I was bored last night, and the recent news that the 1/100 Graze Kai will include the parts for the Graze Ground Type as well gave me an idea:
EB-06JC Graze Custom Ground Type (front)
EB-06JC Graze Custom Ground Type (rear)

Related: A while back, I had also done a slight modification to Barbatos Form 6. So yeah...

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Dark Duel

So, in ages long past, I had put together a custom MG Banshee and Sinanju Stein. I had a story in mind that I considered writing before abandoning it because I couldn't get a good narrative going for those two machines. But I had a specific idea in mind for the pilot of either one or the other of those two machines.
And when Unicorn Re:0096 started and the official site started putting up decent-size, quality images of the mech and characters, I decided to go back and put together a pic of that pilot(LINK REMOVED - SEE NEW LINK BELOW). I'm leaning towards her being the Sinanju Kai's pilot rather than the Unicorn's.

Thoughts?

Also, I got to wondering what the Stark Jegan would look like in ReZEL-inspired two-tone blue.
I rather like the results.
Last edited by Dark Duel on Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

Dark Duel

Okay, so recently, during a discussion on Code Geass I decided, pretty much on a whim, to see what the Panzer Hummel would look like with proper arms with hands instead of cannons for arms.
For no real reason than because I felt like it, I colored it in the same blue as the one from Akito, and swapped out one of the series version's heads for the cylindrical sensor from that one, which I decided to make a dedicated targeting/fire control sensor for its weapons.
comes in regular, armed, and MOAR DAKKA flavors.

On a related note, I recently revisited my custom Lancelot, the Arondight, and the assorted other machines I'd customized for its squadron mates. Really, just experimenting with different color schemes as an alternative to red/gold. The old links from earlier in the thread are probably dead, but they were all red-and-gold.
DEAD LINKS REMOVED

Anyway, I first swapped it for a blue/gold scheme. Very Blue Angels-like, so that inspired me to create the emblem on that pic based on that of the Blue Angels. The scroll underneath reads the squadron's motto, which I decided would be Cave Draco(Beware the Dragon), owing to the squad name being the Wyvern Knights.
DEAD LINKS REMOVED

Then I tried a blue/silver color scheme, but didn't like how it came out - didn't save that one. Finally I settled on a red/silver color scheme, which I felt still has the kind of regal vibe I'm looking for, but is more understated and not so ostentatious. And yes, I know that the previous pics depicted them with the emblem on the KMFs, and this next batch doesn't. Not that important.
DEAD LINKS REMOVED

That's it on the Geass side. On the Gundam side, I revisited the pilot from my previous post, and did a new pic that also depicts her in a pilot's normal suit. It's a slightly modified version of the suit worn by Londo Bell pilots in CCA/UC.
Waiting for lineart to go up on the site for the Banshee so that I can re-create the customized Unicorn lineart I did ages ago...might try to do the same for the Sinanju Kai, but that might be a little tougher...

Thoughts?
Last edited by Dark Duel on Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:18 am, edited 4 times in total.

Dark Duel

Oh, and on the subject of Code Geass custom stuff, there was one other thing I did that I'd forgotten about.
Another possible configuration idea for the Byakurai, the Guren-analog. Instead of the RWS, I equipped it with a forearm-mounted sword-type weapon related to the Katen Yaibatō, which is enlarged, equipped with dorsal thrusters. The arm also mounts a slash harken on a parallel swivel mount(visible in the image on the left, below the hand).
I envision this as an experimental prototype weapon that would have been simplified to yield the Katen Yaibatō as we saw it in the series, as well as the Seidōtō used by Tōdō's machine. Due to its much larger size, it is more powerful, but much more difficult to wield.
And yeah, I kinda based it off Exia's GN Sword :P

Dark Duel

Back to Gundam again, with lineart of the Sinanju Kai.
Basically put that together using the larger Re:0096 Sinanju lineart, plus existing lineart of the Sinanju Stein and a photo of the latter for the right arm - since I wanted to remove the Stein's ginormous rifle - as well as instruction manual pics of the beam tomahawks to add them in mounted under the shield.
I rather like how it came out...

I'm less happy with this experiment in the Delta Plus in ReZEL two-tone blue, because on reflection I think the colors don't suit it as well. Later I may do the reverse and see how the ReZEL looks in the Delta Plus's more muted colors :P

I did go back to that custom-color Stark Jegan I did a while back and swap in the ECOAS Jegan head. And that I'm pretty happy with too.

And this is just something random I did while bored...
I think probably he'd be a rookie pilot on the same ship/in the same unit as the Sinanju Kai and its pilot. Probably put 'im in a ReZEL or a Jegan. Of course, there's also the Unicorn...:P

Dark Duel

ReZEL and Jegan, in Delta Plus inspired colors.
Next I might do the Stark Jegans, and perhaps even try my hand at recoloring the ships :P

Dark Duel

Dark Duel wrote:Because the GM III wasn't awesome enough already
Blue paint scheme, I doubled up the chest sensors, and gave it enlarged boosters on the back of the legs.
So I revisited this one, using lineart provided by the UC Re:0096 site - this time I used the MSA-003 Nemo instead of the Aqua GM as the source for the enlarged leg boosters, and I also made a few additional little minor mods here and there using the Nemo, as well as the GM II.

I will probably go back and recolor it in the same paint scheme as the last couple of recolors I did, but until I do here is the new version of the RGM-86RS GM III Custom, in blue/white colors.

Dark Duel

Let's file this next one under "why the hell not?", because that was sort of my thought process here.
It's a modification of the Nahel Argama, using the lineart from the UC Re:0096 website and a little bit from that of the Ra Cailum.

Kind of a hypothetical AU-ish sort of thing, just like the two character mods(Marida and Banagher) that I did earlier. Idea's been dancing around my head for a while, but it took a long time to get it done. Basically a refit of the NA, begun at the same time as construction began on the Ra Cailum and Clop-class ships - the intent being to ease maintenance by bringing it in line with the new ships as much as possible, as well as to augment its firepower.

SCVA-76R Nahel Argama(refit)

In terms of what I did:
Spoiler
The obvious change, of course, is the loss of the central front catapult in favor of an elongated bow section similar to the Ra Cailum's, which gives it an extra twin beam cannon, six additional missile launch tubes in the bow, and eight additional turrets for point-defense.
It still has four catapults, so IMO the tradeoff is worth it.
I also took the two beam cannons mounted on the outside of the port and starboard front catapults and added the same ones to either side of the stern recovery hatch, giving it more protection to the rear.
The other obvious modification is the installation of an armored cover around the Hyper Mega-Particle Cannon underneath the modified bow. It's a little tough to tell, but I also slightly increased the length of the main hull section, so its hangar is actually enlarged somewhat compared to the original.
Thoughts?
Last edited by Dark Duel on Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

Scorpio[pt]

it does look better than the original one , however only 2 extra turrets on such a long bow its asking to be a target
Don't take life too seriously.....no-one's getting out alive.
Dark Duel

Looking again, it's actually four extra turrets - there're two AAA turrets on each side of the extended bow. Though I have been thinking of adding at least two, if not three additional pairs on the bow, for that exact reason - feels somewhat underarmed.

EDIT: I updated the image to add two additional pairs of AAA turrets on the bow, for a total of eight.
The link in the post above has been updated accordingly.

Scorpio[pt]

Dark Duel wrote:Looking again, it's actually four extra turrets - there're two AAA turrets on each side of the extended bow. Though I have been thinking of adding at least two, if not three additional pairs on the bow, for that exact reason - feels somewhat underarmed.

EDIT: I updated the image to add two additional pairs of AAA turrets on the bow, for a total of eight.
The link in the post above has been updated accordingly.

it does look better that way
Don't take life too seriously.....no-one's getting out alive.
zerg171

Dark Duel wrote:
Dark Duel wrote:Because the GM III wasn't awesome enough already
Blue paint scheme, I doubled up the chest sensors, and gave it enlarged boosters on the back of the legs.
So I revisited this one, using lineart provided by the UC Re:0096 site - this time I used the MSA-003 Nemo instead of the Aqua GM as the source for the enlarged leg boosters, and I also made a few additional little minor mods here and there using the Nemo, as well as the GM II.

I will probably go back and recolor it in the same paint scheme as the last couple of recolors I did, but until I do here is the new version of the RGM-86RS GM III Custom, in blue/white colors.
hi dark duel, really cool GM III, do you have the link to the UC Re:0096 site, I tried to google it but had no luck finding it.
Dark Duel

Yeah, I've got it: http://www.gundam-unicorn.net/tv/ms/
And thanks. Reminds me, BTW, that I still need to finish with redoing my old custom Unicorn/Banshee art. Might do that this weekend.

Dark Duel

So, quite a long time ago I had toyed with the idea of a recolor of the Crossbone X1 Full Cloth in X2-inspired black. Never did much of anything with it, but I decided recently to revisit the idea somewhat.
This time, I'm much happier with the results it yielded:

This time though, rather than trying to mess with the Full Cloth's colors, I transplanted the FC parts onto the X2's main body. I then tweaked the main body to replace that weird light blue detailing with red.

Thoughts?

Dark Duel

I've been at it again. This time it's another foray into the world of IBO, with the EB-05rs/S Falke Graze Space Combat Type. This is actually a custom idea that I've had for a while, and tried a couple of times already - but I only recently finally completed it.

EDITED: I briefly considered "Graze Jäger" for the name, but ended up keeping my original idea, "Falke Graze", because thematically it makes more sense to maintain the bird naming theme given my backstory for this unit, which is as follows:

This particular configuration is the original form of the Falke Graze. It's a high-performance mobile suit designed for high-mobility close-range combat, and was built from a EB-05s Schwalbe Graze that was tuned for increased performance and modified using parts from a EB-06rs Graze Ritter Commander Type. It uses an optimized version of the standard EB-06 Graze's backpack rather than the Schwalbe's Flight Unit. Nonetheless, much like the Schwalbe Graze, its high performance makes the Falke difficult to control effectively. Though it is equally capable of combat in space and on Earth, it is predominantly intended for use in space.

EDIT 16NOV16: Altered the color scheme somewhat - edited link accordingly.
Last edited by Dark Duel on Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:07 pm, edited 6 times in total.

zerg171

Dark Duel wrote:I've been at it again. This time it's another foray into the world of IBO, with the EB-05RS FALKE GRAZE.
The backstory I have for it is that it's a Schwalbe Graze that was tuned for increased performance and modified using parts from the Graze Ritter Commander Type. It has higher performance than a normal Graze, but this makes it difficult to pilot effectively. It is equally capable of combat in space and on Earth, but its legs can be swapped out with legs similar to those of the Graze Ground Type for increased mobility on the ground.
hey duel the pic for EB-05RS FALKE GRAZE on the flickr is not there.
Dark Duel

Yeah, I just reuploaded it because I had to correct a minor error on one of the parts. Should work now, but just in case:
DEAD LINK REMOVED

EDIT: I also just finished modding the image into the EB-05rs/G Falke Graze Ground Combat Type[/b].
DEAD LINKS REMOVED - SEE NEW LINKS ON P.12

A ground-combat modification of the Falke Graze, it removes the Schwalbe-style legs and binders in favor of legs and boosters based on those of the EB-06j Graze Ground Type, optimized for increased performance. It still retains the back-mounted thruster backpack, giving it significantly improved mobility compared to the normal Graze Ground Type.

Finally, HERE IS ITS PILOT. I used the character art of Montero-head from IBO S2 as a base, modified using Gali-Gali's pic from S1, and after some thought, decided to use a slightly tweaked version of Tatsuya/Meijin Kawaguchi from BF for the character's look.
Name-wise, I got lazy, so he's Tatsuya Kawaguchi :P
Also did a flight suit and civilian version from some other characters

EDIT 16NOV16: Altered the color scheme somewhat - edited links accordingly.
Last edited by Dark Duel on Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:08 am, edited 5 times in total.

Dark Duel

Still on IBO, with a ship this time, the PP/G-6181 Seijaku. Top/front and bottom/rear views. I'm actually pretty happy with how it turned out overall.
Got a few more pics of Tatsuya Kawaguchi, as well:
Dress uniform, complete with cape and a short sword. I did also do a version without the cape and sword, but haven't uploaded it.
Normal suit - standard Gjallarhorn model, just custom-colored, nothing special there.
Civvies. The man can rock a suit, that's for sure :P

Dark Duel

So quite a long time ago, I'd cobbled together a passable pic of a GenoSaurer using bits and pieces I pulled from kit manuals.

A while back, I got ahold of a good-quality scan of the official art of the Kotobukiya GenoSaurer, and I decided to revisit the idea and create something a little better-looking.
The Base
Pretty standard stuff here - stock EZ-026 GenoSaurer. The top image shows it with all of the external weapons removed, which I did by cutting them out and filling the gaps in using the aforementioned model scans.

Anyway, once I had that, I did some work with the weapons and eventually came up with a finalized color scheme that's slightly different from what it was originally. Anyway, here is what I have:
EZ-026 GenoSaurer "Blue"
Still not much to write home about, a stock GenoSaurer, with a custom blue color scheme. The color arrangement is closely based on the Genobreaker's, but the actual color palette draws mainly from the Psycho GenoSaurer.

EZ-026C GenoSaurer Custom Ver 1
Here, we have the GenoSaurer Custom. Instead of the original's simple two rifles, it has a custom backpack based on that of the Lightning Saix. Whereas in the series, the Saix is incapable of rotating its weapons(nor could the Tomy/Hasbro model), but the Koto model can rotate some. So the Geno Custom's backpack can rotate, but it can lock in a fixed-forward position when moving at high speed.

EZ-026C GenoSaurer Custom Ver 2
This version replaces the head-mounted Laser Gun with a blade/horn like the Genobreaker's, and adds similar weapons pods mounted to the outside of each leg, which incorporate a large-bore cannon and a smaller-caliber beam gun.

EZ-026C GenoSaurer Custom Ver 3
This final version is closest in appearance to the Psycho GenoSaurer, which personally is my favorite Geno variant. It has the head-mounted twin Light Particle Gun, and an additional weapon on the outside of the legs. According to what I've found out from the Koto kit, the box on the Psycho 'Saurer is holographic projection equipment, and incorporates a smoke discharger - which makes sense, from what I remember of the series; while it looked like a missile launcher on each leg, it was never seen firing anything, and the Psycho Geno was seen projecting holograms and dispensing smoke using those boxes on its legs.
Anyway, on mine it IS a pair of missile launchers; either 6- or 8-tube, not sure yet.

But yeah, that's it.