Dark Duel's Shop-Fu and assorted artsy stuff

The place to share your artwork.
Dark Duel

Re: Dark Duel's Shop-Fu and assorted artsy stuff

So I decided to revisit the Falke Graze a bit to tweak the Ground Type's equipment, and at the same time I experimented with other color schemes a bit as opposed to keeping the same colors as McDoofus's Schwalbe/Ritter.
LINKS REMOVED
I'm in the process of reworking the design a little bit, and will post the new/updated links once they're done.

Now, there's a second custom I have been working on for a while, and this one is of a Gundam Frame.
I hesitated for a while between a couple of different possibilities for the name, but eventually settled on ASW-G-32 Gundam Asmodai. This first image is of its Rollout/Calamity War colors - it would've been its original color scheme.

As it ends up in the hands of the same individual who previously piloted the Falke Graze, I have also done variants on the same four color schemes I did for the Falke:
1. Trombe
2. Crimson Lightning
3. Blue Devil

I've removed the purple color scheme for now as I'm working on a new version, and will post the new/updated link once it's done.

Thoughts? Comments? Questions? Random outbursts?
Last edited by Dark Duel on Sat Jan 07, 2023 3:13 pm, edited 4 times in total.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Omega

Really cool to see another of the 72 Gundam Frames brought to life your way Dark Duel xD Plus, I like how you also did four diff color variants for it. Out of curiosity though, what sort of weapons do you see the Asmodai using?

Your Falke Graze also looks like something really cool too to see in action
Dark Duel

Pretty light armament - a pair of swords and a long-range rifle, plus one or two supplemental weapons integrated into the frame. It's designed mainly as a fast and agile mid-to-close-range fighter, and is also intended to be capable of unassisted atmospheric flight.
By the way, I also did quick-and-dirty modified lineart that shows Asmodai's internal frame - I modified the hands using Barbatos Lupus's lineart, and the feet using separate lineart I found of Lupus's internal frame. The feet were the most time-consuming part by far :P.

As for the Falke, it's basically a Schwalbe that's been modified using parts from the regular Graze/Graze Ritter. Its armament is a standard Graze Rifle, and two handheld swords of the same type as that used by the Graze Ritter.
The top one is the space-use version, while the bottom is a ground combat variant.
Both Asmodai and the Falke are meant to be used, at different points, by the same pilot - which would be either the same bloke I designed when I first did the Falke, or else this gal. Her name is Layla Claraud, and she's a Gjallarhorn pilot assigned to a Halfbeak-class operating in Mars orbit. Affiliated with, but not a member of one of the Seven Stars families. I should also mention that she has an AV implant on her back from before she was picked up by the Seven Stars, so her uniform and flight suit are slightly customized in order to hide it. The Falke secretly uses the AV System(as does the Asmodai, of course, which retains its original CW-era cockpit).
The first pic is her original uniform, the second is a formal dress uniform she would wear following a promotion in rank and acquisition of the Asmodai, and the third is a white variant of the same. The fourth obviously, is her in a flight suit. The fifth is a minor variant of the same flight suit, which she would wear following acquisition of the Asmodai.
I created the uniform pics by modifying the character art for Carta Issue, with the cape on the formal uniform being adapted from McDoofus's uniform art. I also added a gun belt in lieu of either the knife McDoofus wore or Carta's sword.
The flight suit I basically basically drew in Photoshop from an assortment of screenshots of Carta(again) in her own flight suit, plus the character art of McDoofus in his flight suit, along with screenshots of the helmet courtesy of McDoofus and Gali-Gali. I also added a thigh holster by modifying the gun belt I used for the uniform pics. The head is from a file I found in one of my folders, I forget where it's originally from.

EDIT:
One other color scheme I did that I'd briefly considered as a possible alternate rollout color scheme(before settling on the blue), which I'd forgotten to upload earlier.
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/332 ... bee3_c.jpg
Last edited by Dark Duel on Sat Jan 07, 2023 3:14 pm, edited 10 times in total.

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Dark Duel

So I finished a batch of Kimaris recolors I started working on a while back

First set shows all four with Vidar and KT recolored to match the first two:
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/343 ... b97f_b.jpg
Second set shows the three Kimaris recolored to match Vidar:
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/340 ... 1317_b.jpg

Thoughts?

EDIT: I just did a third one. It's a variant of the second set above, but with purple instead of blue, to see how it looks:
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/340 ... f049_b.jpg
Last edited by Dark Duel on Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dark Duel

Okay, so as per the edited post at the top of the page, I have been working on a revised version of a black-and-purple color scheme for my custom Gundam Asmodai.
That is now complete
I've been told it resembles Skywarp - certainly not what I was going for, but okay. I rather like how it looks somewhat sinister, IMO.

Again as per the top of the page, I have also been reworking the Falke Graze. The current idea for the background I have for the Falke is that it was originally one of the prototypes that were considered as the next-gen replacement of the EB-04 Geirail, and was selected instead of the Schwalbe because it was easier to pilot. It was then simplified further, resulting in the EB-06 Graze we know and love.
So, without further ado, the finalized EB-05f Falke Graze

EB-05f Falke Graze
The Falke Graze in its original form, it was built from the same base design as the EB-05s Schwalbe, and has some parts in common with it. However, the Falke was selected over the Schwalbe because it was much less difficult to pilot effectively. Subsequently, in order to ease mass production the design was further streamlined refined into the EB-06 Graze. The Graze Ritter is also developed from this machine.
Falke Graze(original) without its backpack

Some time after mass production of the EB-06 Graze began, the Falke prototype were acquired by the Falk family, and then further upgraded to improve its performance, yielding two distinct, improved custom variants for Space and Ground Combat. While I only did one color scheme - its "rollout colors" - for the original prototype, for the custom variants I did the same four color schemes as previous, similar color palette to the four custom color schemes I did for Asmodai.

EB-05fj Falke Graze Custom Ground Type
A customized version of the Falke Graze, optimized for increased performance in ground combat.
1. Trombe-inspired colors
2. Crimson Lighting colors
3. Blue Devil colors
4. Purple & black (couldn't think of a clever nickname for this one. Sorry :P )

EB-05fs Falke Graze Custom Space Type
A customized version of the Falke Graze, optimized for increased performance in space combat.
1. Trombe-inspired colors
2. Crimson Lighting colors
3. Blue Devil colors
4. Purple & black
Last edited by Dark Duel on Sat Jan 07, 2023 3:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Omega

Ya know Dark Duel, I tried kitbashing your Asmodai as it seemed like it'd be fun to put together Gunpla-wise. My first attempt looked weird as I didn't have the regular Gusion Rebake, so the torso looks a lot bulkier due to me subbing that for the Full City's torso. Tried it again with regular Rebake and I think the result turned out nicely.

I'll send you a photo if you want
Dark Duel

Saw it. Pretty good.
I'm still in the process of deciding which color scheme to go with, but once I do I plan on actually building both the Falke and the Asmodai.
Once I'm done with that, I plan to take some pics and post them in my Gunpla thread.
Actually, at some point I may go back and take better pics of most of my Gunpla, the ones I have, the resolution kinda sucks.

zerg171

Grate work man, question what is the Asmodai weapons ? And does the EB-05f Falke Graze be used in space and ground combat in its original form or whit out the back boosters ?
Last edited by zerg171 on Mon May 08, 2017 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scorpio[pt]

looks badass specialy asmodai
Don't take life too seriously.....no-one's getting out alive.
Dark Duel

Thanks.
zerg171 wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 10:29 am Grate work man, question what is the Asmodai weapons ? And does the EB-05f Falke Graze be used in space and ground combat in its original form or whit out the back boosters ?
Asmodai's weapons are fairly light, because it's intended as a dogfighter - fast, agile, high speed and mobility - range is close-to-medium, for the most part. It has a few small integrated weapons on its body - cannons on the wing binders, and I'm stealing the IIRC unused Heel Bunker from Lupus Rex. I'm thinking either an additional pilebunker on each forearm, or a light machinegun of some kind - or possibly one of each - gun on one arm, bunker on the other :P
Apart from that, two handheld swords and a long-range rifle are it weapon-wise.

The original form of the Falke Graze is designed to operate equally well on Earth and in space, so its configuration would remain identical no matter which theater it operates in. The way I envision it, the variant backpack for ground combat(moving the thrusters to the rear waist instead of keeping them on the back) is meant to optimize the EB-06 Graze's ground combat performance, which was not needed on the Prototype due to its rear waist thruster, which the production model lacks. The production model is a tad more stable in ground combat than the prototype as a result, though.
And the custom configurations are essentially meant to maximize performance in each theater beyond what the prototype was capable of, which has the added result of making it more difficult for the average pilot to control, though not to the extent of the Schwalbe.
One thing is that the Falke uses mostly weapons that would enter mass production and be used for the EB-06 and its variants, but it has one unique weapon - a heavy battle axe, which was originally used by the Geirail Nachtritter(not piloted by the same individual). It is later inherited by Asmodai as well. Not used often due to its size and weight, but useful against heavier targets.

Speaking of which, I can't remember if I posted the Geirail N here or not, so here it is anyway.

I'm working up more detailed specs for them, which I may post here later on.

Anyway, here's a bunch of other random odds and ends I've put together over the past few weeks.
Halfbeak-class Fáfnir.
Custom Halfbeak-class belonging to one of the Seven Stars - which one exactly is TBD - The crest on it is the same one that was originally on the screenshot, but that may be subject to change.

IPP-0032S Gilda Custom
A custom Gilda used by pirates operating in the Mars sphere. It is equipped with wire anchors on the hips for capturing shuttles, ships, mobile suits etc...it uses the Rodi Frame's 90mm submachinegun and Hammer Chopper because they are cheap and easily acquired.

Gundam Frame
A modified version of Vual, using some parts from Astaroth/Astaroth Origin(mostly armor parts) and Vidar. A patch job, because the frame was incomplete/in disrepair at the time of its acquisition(much like Vual itself in the side-story manga, from what I've heard).
Nothing yet on this one, but I'm thinking it would be ASW-G-50 Gundam Furcas, if I end up doing anything with it.

Burst Lancer.
Sort of a lance-type variant of Vidar's Burst Saber, the difference is that the "lance" can be launched à la the Shot Lancer used by the Crossbone Vanguard - it's stored on the outer hip armor, and six additional lance tips are stored inside the hips. Above the lance is a 60mm machinegun.

I considered(at one point) using for either Asmodai or the Falke, but ended up going in a different direction, so I didn't use it. I'm thinking I would use it as Furcas's main weapon instead, if I end up doing anything with it.

Got one or two other things that I'm still working on. Will put those up when I'm done with them, so stay tuned!
Last edited by Dark Duel on Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.

zerg171

cool, thanks for clearing that up and I think that gun on one arm, bunker on the other is a good idea, and here's a link to my IBO gundam http://zerg170.deviantart.com/art/ASW-G ... -674736730
Dark Duel

Interesting. Reminds me of something similar I did once that used a few Bael bits and a mishmash of Lupus Rex and Hashmal parts, plus bits from a few others. I'll have to dig it out eventually.

Anyway, this is the EB-06v Graze Vogel. Kind of a slightly modified/standardized version of the Graze Custom II. Sort of a more lightly-armored, high-mobility version of the standard Graze, but less tricky than the Schwalbe.

One other thing I tripped across recently is the pilot for that SRW custom I did a while back, the Gespenst MkIV(see page 10 for more pics). I found another version of the pilot pic I'd done in which I flipped the colors of the jacket and changed the patch on the jacket to the ATX Team emblem I used. So, yeah.
Last edited by Dark Duel on Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Dark Duel

So, I managed to, over the weekend, get lineart done for the Fáfnir, that Halfbeak-class recolor I did a while back.
Its colors are basically the same as the Geirail Nachtritter(see above) because its Commanding Officer was formerly the Nachtritter's pilot.
BTW, this is her. Haven't really fleshed her out too much background-wise, but the Falke Graze and the Gundam Asmodai, as well as their pilot, are under her overall command.
Last edited by Dark Duel on Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zerg171

cool, do you have the link to the Halfbeak-class in it's regular colors.
Deathzealot

First sorry about necroing this thread Dark Duel. Just stumbled onto this when I saw the lineart for your Fafnir variant of the Halfbeak class popping up on a Google Image search I did for Halfbeak Class images. So first of all if I know you were doing IBO stuff earlier I would have seen if you were interested in doing my lineart requests, not that Bryant Molirse didn't do a good job on them but still. Secondly, where in the world did you get that original lineart for the Halfbeak I mean both top and bottom views? I was originally searching for some screen shots of the Halfbeak on Google Images because I was looking for an image of the bottom of the ship since I was bit confused if it had the only hanger and catapult on the bottom or did it have a pair of extra hangers flanking either side of the ship. Because that is what it looked like when MAHQ put up the new images of the Halfbeak up a few months back. Anyways I am rambling I apologize. Thanks for sharing the awesome art you created and I hope it ends up becoming an IBO story in the future....
Last edited by Deathzealot on Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dark Duel

Hey, no problem. As for the scans, I got them secondhand from somebody who got ahold of either magazines or books that had the lineart in them, and substantially cleaned them up myself in Photoshop(took several hours for each one, TBH). I'll see if I can dig up the original scans.
I've been doing some PSing recently that I've been meaning to post in here myself, but haven't quite got 'round to either(will get it in here eventually :P) - nothing IBO related since i finished the Fáfnir and its commander, though.

Dark Duel

So quite a while back, after I finished with the custom lineart of the Sinanju Kai(my MG Sinanju/Stein mod), I started to use the larger, hi-res lineart from the Unicorn TV site to put together better images of my custom Unicorn/Banshee MG mod as well.
I never did finish it, though...until now.

Dark Duel

A while back when I did that custom GenoSaurer(see bottom of page 11), one thing I wanted to do that I didn't at the time was to also do a version that equipped the Berserk Führer's Twin Buster Claws, just to see how it looked.
I finally did get around to doing that, and while I was at it I also did a configuration equipped with the Sturm Führer/Sturm Tyrann's equipment. I was worried the latter might not really fit, but IMO it fits better than the ginormous backpack and lobster claws of the GenoBreaker.

Anyway, two sets of images here:
https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1831/2912 ... 6df9_c.jpg

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1777/2912 ... 150c_c.jpg

Dark Duel

Re-reading *The Origin* and I got to VolIV, which features the début of the MS-09B Dom.
Gave me the idea for this:
https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1876/3097 ... 956f_z.jpg

DOM R35, from BF, with a new paint scheme based on the original Dom.

Dark Duel

So this week I'm re-reading *Glory of the Losers* from the beginning before I read Vol8(which I picked up yesterday), and it motivated me to actually do something I'd been meaning to do for a while.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1959/4514 ... bd7a_z.jpg

Basically the Leo NPD from Build Divers, only with the original Leo's torso/head - still retains the new backpack with the extra thrusters, and with a monochrome paint job.
I may end up at some point recoloring it to default Leo Green.
Last edited by Dark Duel on Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.