My Wallpapers - 12/17/15 - Site Updated

The place to share your artwork.
Phoenix

ORegan wrote:I actually used the Wing Zero code you made for myspace in January, which was when I logged in after 6 monthes of leaving it dead, only to find the images I had on it deleted for unknown reasons. Marry me? :D
All images should be working now. I might have made new codes though, as sometimes the images expire for unknown reasons.

And uh, I like to keep my relationships professional, thanks. :roll:
ORegan

Yours weren't the ones that went away, it was from some other skin I had, which I replaced with yours. I may have worded the story a little weird.

*and you can't refuse a shotgun wedding.*
mcred23 wrote: Well... it's official: O'Regan is the next Hitler.
WhiteWingDemon wrote: Not to start anything, seeing as that is O'Regan's job...
ShadowCell wrote: O'Regan, quit hitting on other users.
Orrick Alexander wrote: Did anyone know that O'Regan is the reason there's no air in space?
Phoenix

ORegan wrote:*and you can't refuse a shotgun wedding.*
LOL, man you're just confirming the stereotypes of online forum geeks and their sad mating rituals... :lol: Better watch out for my boyfriend though. He happens to be a weapons enthusiast and pyromaniac. :roll:

And I'm no damsel in distress. I scare his friends just as much. :wink:
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

Howdy, Phoenix.
I...accidentally constructed a shape that resembled a bird of some sort so after a few hours of tinkering and light brushing to create lines and highlights, I got my "mecha bird with chest cavity exposed." I then placed some random girl in it (Ugetsu Hakua scan) and set the sky on fire and BAM...
You speak as though you're the Lord of Creation or something. =p

Your new wall looks very well done, as always, but I really can't tell what is going on in there. @,@ I have a feeling it's supposed to be abstract, so I'll just leave it at that. >.> Ugetsu Hakua is the character designer for Burst Angel, right? Very stylish designs, but I hear that all the projects he gets stuck with are pretty mediocre despite his talent. Ever heard of Kita Senri? It might not be up your alley, but some of his/her work could be used for some more pastoral looking walls. =)

I think I saw one of your walls on someone's flickr, the Throne Gundam one, but your credits were cropped off from the bottom. It made me pretty mad to see that to be honest. I mean, what's the point? It's not like they got in the way of the main image or anything. It looks like you have some people you need to kick really hard in the balls. =o You must be used to it now. =/

Phoenix, do you know where I can host an image that's 5+ megs in size? Yes, I need it to stay at this resolution. =)

And you don't have to take the time to do accomodate me, but this is the closest thing I've done to a wall so far. I know it looks really bland/bad by your standards (because I created the entire image from scratch, doing the lineart by pencil, haha), but do you have any suggestions for improvement? I have no idea how to use Shop. D: What sort of effects would be useful? The image looks really static. What is an effective way to create the illusion of movement? I'd really appreciate any ideas you have. =)

Oh, and keep me posted on that Wing Zero wall if you ever decided to pick it up.
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
Phoenix

With Photoshop, I pretty much am a lord of creation. But my ego's not that desperate for subjects. LOL

Sigh, yeah I know people crop my works when they need a MySpace layout and decide that my credits at the bottom somehow ruin their hideous MySpace page with a wallpaper in back meant for widescreen... If I am able to contact the people, I sometimes do, but for things like galleries and albums... As long as they don't claim the work as their own, it doesn't bother me as much since most of the time they will blame a friend of a friend gave them the image or something stupid. Thanks for getting emotional though LOL.

Woah, 5mb? I hope you're not making a layout out of it. :roll: I'm not aware of any free site that do, sorry. Try personal servers.

Hmm, see the thing with your wallpaper is the large "ghost" images in the background is very outdated and usually does nothing but attempt to fill space. (Not meant to be harsh. This is exactly how I answer anyone that asks with the same composition.) You would be surprised at how well simplistic walls and vectors go together. If you're using two characters, try not to make them so far apart. It's okay to overlap a bit, though the one in the back should show some sort of depth by being more shadowed, blurry, or just plain smaller. Then you can do some simplistic or crazy pop art brushing. Placement of the characters is important too. Either in the middle or all on one side. Don't ever separate them, making a huge gap in the middle. That usually causes the eyes to focus towards the hole and people tend to attempt to fill the center with text and stuff and that always ends up ugly. (If the images are full bodied views.)

Now if you want to make a sceneric background, it's a tad more difficult, in that you have to learn to blend, adjust lighting, etc... Er... Stick to the basic pop art first.

Here are some examples:

http://www.animepaper.net/gallery/wallp ... item62461/
http://www.animepaper.net/gallery/wallp ... item61156/
http://www.animepaper.net/gallery/wallp ... item50260/
http://www.animepaper.net/gallery/wallp ... item30249/
http://www.animepaper.net/gallery/wallp ... item26847/ <<Awesome composition and comic book feel Gundam Wallpaper

So yeah, I don't mean to be a walking advertisement for that site, but I love it there and pretty much learned much of what I know by talking to the senior members there (which I am now a part of...I was a newbie back in 2005). You can join to fullview the wallpapers.

Anyway the samples I gave were examples of the pop art design. If you want to learn to blend vectors into realistic backgrounds and such as I've done with my wallpapers, start by attempting to make the image blend against a cloud sky with minimal ground. (And if there is a ground, flat with no crazy perspectives.) It's a good exercise to see if you can match the lighting, create shadows (just use the round soft brush and brush black and blend it at soft light) and if necessary, add textures. Actually, I'm going to give you the link to a Blending Tutorial I wrote on my site:

http://www.theforgottenlair.net/T12.php

Read that to learn to blend basic stuff.

And I do plan to do the Wing Zero wallpaper some day. My boyfriend gave me a vector assignment I've yet to do and have been procrastinating with the wallpapers you've seen lately. The Wing Zero wallpaper will follow the vector project he's assigned first. (It's to practice using Adobe Illustrator and vectoring in general. I LOATHE vectoring... :evil: )

Well hope you had a fun read. :wink:
ORegan

Phoenix wrote:
ORegan wrote:*and you can't refuse a shotgun wedding.*
LOL, man you're just confirming the stereotypes of online forum geeks and their sad mating rituals... :lol: Better watch out for my boyfriend though. He happens to be a weapons enthusiast and pyromaniac. :roll:

And I'm no damsel in distress. I scare his friends just as much. :wink:
You're a girl? Thought you were a guy. :P
Orrick Alexander wrote: Did anyone know that O'Regan is the reason there's no air in space?
Phoenix

ORegan wrote:You're a girl? Thought you were a guy. :P
I hear female geeks are worse than the guys... :roll: I know I'm such a man. Then again, I might just be a guy with a gender identity crisis and fancy other men myself...
ORegan

Phoenix wrote:
ORegan wrote:You're a girl? Thought you were a guy. :P
I hear female geeks are worse than the guys... :roll: I know I'm such a man. Then again, I might just be a guy with a gender identity crisis and fancy other men myself...
..but I'm also a guy. What's the stereotype for guys who make humorous attempts at coming onto other guys for amusement? Better yet, what's the stereotype for women on the internet with no sense of humor and can't tell when people are trying to be friendly to them by joking around?

*mod intervention in 3..2..1...NO DRACO KEEP YOUR MITS OFF ME!*
Phoenix

Re: My Wallpapers (Yes, I Made These...)

You're a guy that seems to lack the ability to sense sarcasm. It happens. :roll:

*reads your siggy*

I'm going to stay away from you because you are a bad influence and I'm trying to stay on the mods' "good list" since I didn't exactly have a smooth first hour here on this forum... (Refer to MY siggy.)
ShadowCell

Wow, you guys got stupid fast.

ORegan, quit hitting on other users. Phoenix, quit egging him on.
speedstriker

You, my good sir, are a very talented Waller! You've really outdone yourself with this one here.

http://www.theforgottenlair.net/wall/Th ... -Frame.jpg

The colour is nicely blended and has a very central palette that forces the viewer into a grimdark/gritty kind of mood. Likin' it like the fist of the north star. GOOD JOB! 8)
To the end of the GALAXY!!!!
Damn, why is this line so catchy?
Phoenix

Eh? Would it impress you more if I were to tell you that I'm not a "sir?" (notes: 35,374th time mistaken as a male just because I wall Gundams and not their boys)

That wallpaper is extremely old and although I was satisfied then with what I did with an image of a model rather than a drawn scan, I think I could redo it at least 10x better with what I know now. Too bad I didn't keep the original PSD. (Don't plan to go back to it anyway.)

I get complaints that I wall with too much "grunge and grit." Appreciate your appreciation for the grit. :D
Turinu

A lot of your stuff is really nice, and makes me envious. Wish my Photoshop skills were as good as yours, which I hope will eventually come true so I can add some pretty nice effects to the 3D works I'm currently pursuing. Gotta step up from photoshop with frankens some day to get to such a level!

As for being mistaken as a male, the name Phoenix is pretty ambiguous in that regard, though considering all the hustle and bustle coursing through this topic I'll be surprised if anyone else after this mistakes you for a man, XD. It's pretty much been established you're a woman, and anyone referring to you differently after this is probably just trying to yank your chain.

Keep up the good work, and hope to see more of your beautiful wallpapers in the future. :D
speedstriker

Phoenix wrote:Eh? Would it impress you more if I were to tell you that I'm not a "sir?"
Hmmm, how should I formally refer to you then? My fair lady? That'll have to do it seems. In this case, I appreciate the grittiness even more since it is often hard for even guys to be willing to make something look "dirty", much less being capable of capturing the feel as well as you have. I myself is an amateur modeler, and even then, I find it very hard to get it dirty enough to look worn, but not too junky to look out of order.

Phoenix wrote:(notes: 35,374th time mistaken as a male just because I wall Gundams and not their boys)
YOU ACTUALLY COUNTED ALL THE TIMEZ?! XD
Shori wrote:and anyone referring to you differently after this is probably just trying to yank your chain.
Nah, I honestly didn't notice. Maybe I just don't pay attention to people's sex and gender too much.
To the end of the GALAXY!!!!
Damn, why is this line so catchy?
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

Howdy, ma'am.

I very much appreciate your tips, but I think you underestimate just how new I am to photoshop. I think that's why novices aren't supposed to learn directly from masters. ~_~; At least I understand the general direction I should be looking in. Thank you. I do not mind harsh words. I only ask for help because I have come to the realization that I suck. Anyone who asks for help and doesn't expect criticisms is just pretentious.

I wish I had the time to practice those effects in Shop, but I'm bogged down by other work and projects that don't require that certain skill set. Today, I'm actually going to start one of my most ambitious projects: an animation with hand-drawn frames. (I'll color it in Shop though.) If I finish, I think I might be the first on MechaTalk to do so. In this case, I think my attention to detail is going to absolutely destroy me. Wish me luck, Phoenix, and thanks again.
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
Phoenix

No prob Seraphic and yes, good luck. Actually, if you ever find some free time, my site has a forum that I teach graphics on. I basically make screenshots to follow step by step and if suitable, I end up putting permanently on my site.

Ah, see I can't even draw a straight line... It turns out I am very bad at drawing and never took any formal art classes. (Just two graphic classes in college, but didn't learn anything I hadn't known already - except for two programs.) Everything I know was self taught and through Photoshop. I seriously cannot draw a straight line longer than about half an inch by hand. I do plan to learn the basics through getting my Masters in Graphic Design though. :? That's going to be in a few years. First I need to find a job with my current degree. :(
Lans

Re:

Phoenix wrote:Original Scan HERE

As always, more resolutions on my site.
Ahh, I'm glad you're stick with large resolution. It's really helpful for widescreen monitors.

and that's probably the most detailed picture of that particular MS. I never really paid attention to that one.
Phoenix

I have widescreen resolutions to my wallpapers on my site. (For all the recent ones anyway... I only started making widescreen about a year ago.)

http://www.theforgottenlair.net/
Lans

I actually just visited your site for the first time and I stumble upon the Spring3 1440x900. That is really something. Simple, clean and natural beauty of the pattern. I like it, currently using it for my wallpaper.
Phoenix

Eh? That's surprising.... I should probably make more CG ones... Enjoy! :o