My Wallpapers - 12/17/15 - Site Updated

The place to share your artwork.
Lans

Re: My Wallpapers (Yes, I Made These...)

I would be delightful if you consider using this kind of colour tone/ theme. or orange-brown. :)
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

Howdy, Phoenix.

I got to look through some of your tutorials. They're very well made! At times you accomplished in a single step some things that I couldn't in about an hour of feeble attempts. I have to say though, most of the techniques/effects discussed are things that I probably won't be applying to my simple lineart and concept stuff. I don't get to do those bigger projects so often. I'll definitely try out some of those effects on my more serious works.

If you are interested in drawing straight lines, here is a basic tip: learn to give your hand anchor points. You set a part of your arm down on the table to give it more stability, and your pencil stroke simply comes from rotating around that point. If you want to make long strokes, use your elbow as an anchor. If you want to use shorter strokes, use your wrist as an anchor. By intuition, you'd think that these anchor points actually cause you to draw arcs instead of straight lines, and they should, but you adjust for the curvature with your fingers, figuratively "undoing the curve". If you look really close at my lineart, I think you'll quickly notice that there aren't any true straight lines in there. They all have some degree of curvature and imperfection to them. I'm not up to the level of pros yet, but they probably use pens, rulers, and software to do their lineart mostly.

My animation is coming along. I've done a "storyboard" to plan it out, but I've only got 6 frames drawn since. It's harder than it looks! D:

I hope you find some good work soon, Phoenix. Though I'm not sure if your major is the same thing that I'm thinking it is. It often isn't for most people, for whatever reason. :| Okay, I'm off to finish grading these quizzes. -,-

EDIT: Muahahaha!
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
Phoenix

*jaw drops*

You DRAW the lines on your linear art? I thought you did it with Photoshop's ability to create straight lines! (hurray for plotting points!) Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely give it a try...

@ lans* - Pop art... Basically I don't do pop art wallpapers but since it's a fave amongst visitors I guess I should probably start. I've only applied that technique to my MySpace designs for the simple reason that it takes only 20 minutes to do. Guess I'll have to come up with a more intricate pop art design then. ^__^

Seraphic was nice enough to turn the image orange for you... The thumbnail image anyway. XD
Seraphic

*rolls over and dies*

You mean you DIDN'T KNOW?! >,<; That just makes me wonder how many people look at my entries and think, "Wow, Seraph is the crappiest frankener I've ever seen!" Let me just get this straight: they're not frankens, that's not pen/brush tool you're seeing. It's pencil! Man, this gets pretty discouraging. -_________-;

Anyhow, that was funny in its own way. And about that image, I was just abusing my new Photoshop powers acquired from your tutorials. >,> I only had access to the thumbnail because I don't have a membership to that place right now.
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

Phoenix

No, it's a compliment when people assume you use Photoshop over hand drawn stuff. ^___^ Well I thought a few of them were cleaned up in PS anyway...

Registration to that site is free and it's a great place for scans and wallpapers... As a new member, you are permitted 15 wallpaper downloads a day, but remember to comment and stay active on the forums to earn "Papers" (form of currency) so that you can download scans and don't get frozen for being merely a leecher. As a senior member of that site, I am not restricted so if you need help or wallpaper downloads... *cough* Unlimited *cough* And I pay less for scan downloads. ^___^ My username there is puppychow16 - don't ask. I hate my username...

I'm assuming you learned the color/highlight trick LOL.
Seraphic

Phoenix wrote:No, it's a compliment when people assume you use Photoshop over hand drawn stuff. ^___^ Well I thought a few of them were cleaned up in PS anyway...
Right, I'll try to take that as a compliment. And yes, they're all cleaned up in Shop at least, because my raws look like this or this, depending on what paper I'm using. And I clean up my notebook lines using some sort of pain in the ass process that I'm sure you could do in a few seconds with a different technique. Lately, I've been using the burn tool to darken pencil strokes I've accidentally made too light. I do my best to keep the original pencil work as a visible part of the finished product.

And yup, that's the one. I was trying to do something similar in the same project I was asking tips on. I almost crashed my PS a few times figuring it out on my own (don't ask how) but I eventually made a colored layer on top and lowered the FILL instead of changing the filter mode, along with maybe 4 other steps. I'm a complete n00b. =p Now I know better at least. (There must be a million ways to accomplish the same effects, I'm sure.)

I'll probably register soon. I don't change my wallpapers too often though. Most of my stuff comes from konachan.com, but they don't have a lot of mecha stuff that I like.
-Antares

Lans

Hey, that's more like sepia effect than colour re-tonning.

I guess brown/ orange won't work.
CanadaMan

Well, I did need a change of wallpaper anyways, and I do enjoy the 4:3 aspect ratio AND 16:9 (since my laptop is widescreen).

You have some talent there, I don't even know where to begin. Very nice wallies, keep up the good work eh?
Now Advertising for Gundamn! in Vancouver
Twitter
Phoenix

Woah, it's been years since I've posted here... No, actually a few months, but that's only because I haven't walled another mecha related wallpaper since the last one I posted here. I thought this forum only focused on mecha, so I didn't bother to visit... I just went through some other posts and saw that this is not the case so...

http://www.theforgottenlair.net/Wallpaper.php

Here are all my wallpapers since April, and their many resolutions. Tell me which one you like! (Uploading them to imageshack would just be pointless.)

(The latest one with Dante vs Nero of Devil May Cry 4 really did take a week to do and took over 100 layers...)
Phoenix

Re: My Wallpapers - UPDATED - And yes once again, I made these..

It's been 6 days since my last post and I've made a wallpaper since then.Tell me what you think.

This is for all the gun-toting, loli-lovers out there...

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/1112/gunnerw.jpg

As always, more resolutions and wallpapers on my site...
Strike Zero

Phoenix wrote:This is for all the gun-toting, loli-lovers out there...

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/1112/gunnerw.jpgon my site...
*Newtype Flash*

FWOOOM~!

Did somebody call for me?! :D

That is very, very well done, Miss. Your other stuff too, but this one is especially well put together. How did you manage to do all those nifty splatter effects?
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
Phoenix

Splatter effects were done by blood brushes I created. You can grab the Photoshop set on my site. What you do is splatter it on, then in a way, erase parts of it off to make it more random...
Seraphic

Hao, Phoenix. It's been a long time!

These are very pretty! Unfortunately, my eye is still not trained enough to say anything more meaningful than that. =/ I haven't had the time to study photoshop at all. I have a lot of drawing project I have to crank through before I can do that.

Can I ask you what sort of computer you're working on? Do you think that even affects your projects at all?

D'oh, and I still haven't registered at the wallpaper site. I guess I haven't been "shopping" for them too much lately. Ever got around to that Wing Zero wall? =)
-Antares

Phoenix

Hey Seraphic. I started vectoring the Wing Zero image months ago then stopped because I got side-tracked. And I hate vectoring LOL. I have to wait for the right mood, otherwise it won't come out good. Trust me, I'll get to it eventually - it's too pretty of an image. ^__^

As for my computer - my boyfriend built it for me and so all I know is that it's really powerful and fast - meant for graphics. It's a PC, using Vista and I use Photoshop CS4. It's a lot smoother than its earlier versions and runs uber smoothly on my new computer. My old one would take 3 minutes to load/save a 100MB PSD file - something I commonly reach when making wallpapers. This baby opens in seconds. ^__^ In the end, a good program with a smooth running computer and a large enough monitor (I used to make 1600x1200 wallpapers on my 1024x768 resolution monitor...) is what you need. Then it's all skill/experience from there. :P
Phoenix

Re: My Wallpapers - 10/22/0 - UPDATED

Yeah, one of these days I'll vector that Wing 0... But until then, here's my latest wallpaper, direct linked from my site.

(So if you click on it and see nothing, try copying and pasting URL instead.)

http://www.theforgottenlair.net/wall/appleseed.jpg

John Woo style, baby...

More resolutions on my site: http://www.theforgottenlair.net/
Strike_Rouge_Mk2

Re: My Wallpapers - 10/22/0 - UPDATED

Phoenix wrote:Yeah, one of these days I'll vector that Wing 0... But until then, here's my latest wallpaper, direct linked from my site.

(So if you click on it and see nothing, try copying and pasting URL instead.)

http://www.theforgottenlair.net/wall/appleseed.jpg

John Woo style, baby...

More resolutions on my site: http://www.theforgottenlair.net/
Very nice.. I've always liked Appleseed, and this might have just sparked my interest to go watch one of the movies or something. On another note, refreshing the page seems to help as well. It pretty much does the same thing. :P
Zeonic Glory wrote:Sorry to ask this but, what does kawaii mean?
Be kawaii and visit the Art and Multimedia section.
Phoenix

Re: My Wallpapers - 10/22/09 - UPDATED

Hey Seraphic... Thought you'd like to know that I've been working on that Wing Zero wall... Here's a sneak peak: ^____________^

http://www.livestream.com/redeclipse/vi ... 2767d3628b

Yes, I actually recorded me SLOWLY painting highlights on the Gundam LOL.
Seraphic

I believed you! There wasn't any need to capture an hour and twenty minute's worth of footage!! >,<;

But still, it already looks spectacular. I was always wondering what sort of backdrop you would use for it, and yeah, I think you made a good judgment call. I was almost certain it'd have to be a space setting. Thanks so much for showing us! =D

While you are around, may I ask for a small bit of advice? I finished this some time ago (yes, lineart was all hand-drawn in pencil), but I'm a little unhappy with the n00bish effects I put on it. Do you have any ideas that might spruce it up? Particularly the cruddy looking "light ripples" down there.... Any advice at all would be helpful.

And something else entirely, I'm hosting an art contest here: link. I'd be very honored to have your participation, though I think for you the rules need to be slightly different. Perhaps your best wall of a grunt mech will suffice? Let me know what you think! =o
-Antares

Phoenix

LOL Trust me... The video wasn't for you... My boyfriend is an illustrator/graphic student and wanted to view my progress... I'm obviously a noob - noticed that entire hour consisted of just painting minimal highlights? I should have probably videoed the part where I was shading in the vector with shadows and applying the main colors... Besides, I placed the video on my site.

As for your piece, ever tried a LIGHT BURST effect? (Do you use Photoshop?)
http://www.photoshop-dragon.com/Tutoria ... rounds.htm

Now let me point out that these tutorials usually make very cheesy/very amateur effects raw. But if applied the right way. the technique is something you can use for life. I know I started out using these tutorials and thinking Lens Flares were the coolest thing in the world... (facepalm) Anyone who's done anything respectful can spot a noob with Photoshop from a mile away based on the effects used... But it's an essential step in developing a design sense... Anyway... That effect... ON THE FLOOR... After you've done that tutorial, rotate it about 45degrees and DISTORT it so that it looks as if it's on the ground rather than behind it. (Let's not go for a cheesy 1992 background here.) Play with that idea and make it in Black and White so you can blend it. White being the light of course... Blend in SCREEN mode so the black disappears... You'd be left with white rays with which you can add some colors (your purple) to. Tell me how it goes.

Otherwise just keep it simple and use just the purple, no symbol on the floor and add a SHADOW for the Gundam. Don't use blending options - paint/draw it.

As for your contest, I'm currently swamped with work and side projects now so I don't think I can make it. I'll check in to see the entries though, hehe... Why else would it take me a year.. and a half to do this Gundam Wallpaper? It may take another few months... Because I am that slow at painting...
Strike Zero

Phoenix wrote:Hey Seraphic... Thought you'd like to know that I've been working on that Wing Zero wall... Here's a sneak peak: ^____________^

http://www.livestream.com/redeclipse/vi ... 2767d3628b

Yes, I actually recorded me SLOWLY painting highlights on the Gundam LOL.
That reminds me: I was going to tell y'all about a little something a while ago, but then totally forgot about it until now =P. One fateful day, I was fortunate enough to happen upon a fairly large dump of Gundam Wing scans. During my perusal of said dump, I was shocked to discover that there are actually not one, but two parts to that image of the Wing Zero. Yeah.

The first half, which you already have, is here. The second half is here.

Not sure if you'll want to do anything with it at this point since you seem to be so far along with the first half (looking very nice, by the way =) ), but there you go.
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.